“Below Average”

Red Roof Inn & Suites - Lake Orion/Auburn Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lake Orion
“Below Average”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We made reservations here because of it's close proximity to a wedding we were attending and they accepted dogs.

Pros: microwave, refrigerator, great restaurant next door, free internet
Cons: NO closet....I mean none...absolutely no place to hang anything, pillows horribly overstuffed and hard, beds sagging in the middle, breakfast fair at best, and the worst was the front desk. The woman there last night did not speak any sort of acceptable English. We tried to tell here that we would like another pillow and she had no clue what we were saying. I understand that the cleaning ladies might have an English difficulty but I would assume that the front desk needs to have someone who understands simple questions.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank annika326

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Willowbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We landed here without our choice: to use hotel parlance, my mom walked us here after overbooking her house. The selling point from her: it's a short distance from her place, so we don't have to stay here except for sleeping and dressing. The problem is that sleeping and dressing at this hotel are challenges in and of themselves: our room had no closet nor anyplace to actually hang clothes, the beds were so firm my wife (who swears by firm mattresses) couldn't get a good night's sleep, and the pillows were non-existent. The room had the look of a place that had a quick coat of paint as a redo.

But that's not the best part of this, interestingly. It was when I tried to use the fitness center. The fitness center is attached to the hotel, but for some inexplicable reason, the door to the fitness center is only accessible from the outside, meaning if you were staying in a room that had an interior door, you had to actually go outside to get in. There was a door connecting it to the pool, which had a door inside, but inexplicably this door was permanently locked.

Enjoying the brisk 25-degree weather, I went into the room. The water cooler was empty of both water and cups: when I informed the clerk on the way back in, they seemed disinterested in doing anything about it. The fitness center is surrounded by glass on three sides. This means that when the sun is out, the room becomes blazingly hot (even on a cold day). But there is no connection to the central air conditioning. Despite it being freezing outside, the treadmill, within the sun, was blazing hot.

I get this is a one-star-level property: I shouldn't ask for much. But the little I did ask for they couldn't even get right. We bailed after one night and moved to a proper hotel down Lapeer Road. I encourage you to do the same.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Lake Orion hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Palace for the Oddball Comedy Fest at DTE. The rep at the front desk was very helpful: she told us about their hotel shuttle that was only $15 to and from the venue; we ended up using it and it was very convenient with an awesome driver. :)

The room itself was simple and clean. It looks just like in pictures. There was a mini fridge which came in very handy and the washroom was a good size and very clean as well. There’s else to say except it gets 5 stars in my book. Fantastic experience; highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weeksfree
Toledo
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I needed a room for the Sammy Hagar w/ Michael Anthony concert at DTE. We searched online(as of 8/2013 their website was still "under construction", so we called and made reservations over the phone) and chose this hotel because it was the most reasonably priced and is within the same proximity as all the other hotels near the DTE/Palace area. Its right down the street(N Lapeer) from the Palace and 8 or 9 miles from DTE. They do offer a shuttle, we paid $15 a piece for round trip service, after initially thinking that was a bit high(i'm rather frugal), having done it for the concert, it was well worth the money, they got us right in and out, no sitting in traffic for a long time wait burning expensive gas, and we got to drink as much as we wanted, no dui's to worry about. The shuttle is a large passenger van, the ac wasn't running and the roads were a bit bumpy, this isn't a complaint just an fyi.. The Hotel was nice and clean, it isn't the Ritz or anything, our room was clean, the shower was clean and there was plenty of hot water. The AC in the rooms worked well(there is no AC in the hallways, they were a bit humid in August, this did not make any difference to us, again not a complaint, just an fyi), The staff was friendly. The hotel offers the same amenities any other hotel offers, there's an indoor pool, a free breakfast from 6-9, another convenience. There's a nice bar and grill right next door to the property, Its called G's, reasonably priced and the food is good(there's a 10% discount for hotel guests). So, i'm giving it a very good rating and yes, we would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ToledoToledo
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2013

the room was very clean and they were very go to us when we we their would go back their and stay they we nice to us and it was eazy to find and good food too ..i would go back to stay their again.and bring my pets with me

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Davison, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

A friend and I went down for a concert at the Palace and had reservations at another hotel. This other hotel had assured us that they provided a shuttle to the Palace but when we showed up to check in not only were we greeted with rude service we were also told that the last shuttle left at 6:00 pm (it was 5:30 and we were not ready to go). So immediately we got on the phone and started calling other hotels. We got in touch with the Palace Inn and they were very kind and told us they had a room available as well as a shuttle service that ran every half hour and would take us and pick us up from the concert when we were ready. Upon our arrival we were greeted with extremely friendly and prompt service. The shuttle driver gave us his personal cell phone number in case we need to get in contact with him and dropped us and and picked us up in a very easy location at the Palace. They even knocked about $20 off the price of our room (which was already cheaper that anywhere else) since we had such a bad experience at the other hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay near or around the Auburn Hills or Lake Orion area. They shuttle to the Palace as well as DTE!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heidi1984_13
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I had a fine stay at the Palace Inn. I was a little concerned when the GPS indicated that this was a Best Western and when I arrived it clearly is an independent facility. 1 minute into the check in process I was somewhat put at ease because of the professional treatment by the staff. Then I was again concerned when I got to the smoky dingy stairwell where the ice maker used to be. Once in my room however my apprehension was finally eased. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and somewhat updated. No smell of smoke surprisingly. Plenty of cable choices to watch on the new flat panel tv. Wifi worked great and the shower had plenty of pressure and hot water. Breakfast was standard tasteless hotel give away grub but it should tide you over until lunch. The area is quiet and the parking area is well lit and safe. Obviously there are high end hotels near by that would surpass this one in many ways but if you want to save a couple of bucks this is the place.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Waterford

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites - Lake Orion/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!