“Highway Robbery/ Laurhenda and Greg Hankins”

Red Roof Inn & Suites - Lake Orion/Auburn Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lake Orion
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Highway Robbery/ Laurhenda and Greg Hankins”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My numerous problems with them are to much to go into. I will just touch base on the most troublesome and pure extortion that was put on me by them. We checked out 5 days early, for reasons I wont get into, (Not that I wouldn't say, just no sense in explaining it). They charged the 2 night s on my card, as I had wished to just pay cash and get out of there. But I let BRIAN talk me into charging the card. I left there, went straight down the road, and checked in Extended Stay of American in a KING SUITE with a kitchen and oh so clean, for $47 a day. The Palace charged me $63, plus tax. Then this is were is all goes from terrible to worse than imaginable. They had a hold on my DEBIT card for 1 full month of room rental at the Palace (well for 32 days of charges, more than a month) without, my knowledge, consent, signature or any idea. After about 2 hours after checking out, I called Brian and asked where was my money? The first few phone calls he was cordial, but yet arrogant, at the same time. To keep this short, after daily phone calls from me and my BANK, they finally lifted the hold, for the room I had paid for on Thursday, 4 full days after I checked out. My repeated calls always went to Brian, who I am sure likes me just as much as I do him, and there is no way to speak to Chris Asmar, the GM. He is very well guarded by his minions. So My money they held ON PURPOSE for 4 days, and Brian even got smart one day and said he could keep my money for as long as he wanted, up to even 72 hours. That's how you do folks on vacation here.Freeze their bank debit just to be nasty. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!! I am planning to order new debit cards, because they were so shady, am wondering what else they will do with my info. SCARY to think about, but it sure happens!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laurhenda H
PalaceInn O, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites - Lake Orion/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Mr. and Mrs. Hankins,

I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience that you had at our hotel.

A member of our front desk staff must have misunderstood you when taking your reservation, and checked you in for a month, at the monthly rate of $40/night (valid when staying 30 or more consecutive nights). At this point, your credit card was authorized for the total amount of the stay, placing a hold on these funds, but not charging your card (we authorize the total amount of our guests' stays to ensure that there are sufficient funds available to cover the costs of the stay).

When you informed us that you wanted to check out after two days, the rate of your room changed to $63/night, which is our standard daily rate. Once you checked out, and the card was charged for 2 days, we then requested a reversal on the unused funds that still had a "hold" on them. I apologize if Brian or I misinformed you that the funds would be released instantly. The truth is that we request their immediate release, but, unfortunately, we have no control over the timeframe that your bank exercises in actually releasing the funds. We have seen the funds be released within a couple of hours, but there has also been instances where it has taken 3 days, 4 days, or even longer for the funds to get released by the bank.

I personally spoke to you about this misunderstanding, and explained the change of rate due to your stay becoming "daily" as opposed to "monthly", and once again, I sincerely apologize. I can assure you with 100% certainty that we did not hold your funds for any additional length of time purposely. Please rest assured that all of your information, including your credit card number, is encrypted and secured.

Once again, I apologize for your experience at our property, and we hope that you give us to opportunity to make it up to you in future. We hope you enjoy your time in the Auburn Hills area.

Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The staff was pretty good, really, but could only do so much with the old, broken, or absent amenities. The first room they gave me reeked of cigarette smoke, but they moved me to a better smelling room. The King room can barely be walked in due to its size. There is no closet whatsoever. The hot water is insufficient. There was an ironing board with a busted leg and no iron. Took the staff 20 minutes of checking every storage area and every open room to find an iron...and it barely got warm and was nearly impossible to use with the busted-legged ironing board. Even the internet was barely usable. If you need a cheap place to sleep near Bald Mountain Recreation area and don't mind one star accomodations, then this might be exactly what you want. But don't be fooled by the four and five star ratings above. This place is below the standards of Best Western (hence the lost Best Western franchise.)

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JDButterball,

I am very sorry for the unpleasant experience you had at our property. The experience that you have described is unacceptable, and we will be sure to correct these issues. We are currently in the process of installing new closets into all of our guest rooms, and this addition will completed by June 1.

I am glad to hear that you were pleased with our staff. We are trained to make our guests' experiences as enjoyable as possible, and we truly apologize that we did not succeed in that regard.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Orion hotels

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

First off, let me say that this hotel isn't a 5-star hotel, but you wont be paying 5-star prices to stay here. Beds were pretty comfy, and the rooms were clean, which is mostly what I look for. Location was a huge plus...just a few miles from the Palace of Auburn Hills...It was perfect for valentines day with my wife, as we had tickets to George Strait. The staff did consist of a couple of people who's first language probably wasn't english, but who am I to judge a place based on that? Plus their friendliness more than made up for it. Upon check-in, we were asked if we wanted to sign up for a shuttle to the venue, which we did, at a round trip price of $10/person. More than worth it considering parking prices and not having to drink and drive.

We're not smokers, and thus we were never charged for smoking, but for what it's worth, when we checked in, we were asked to initial on a line that clearly stated we would be charged if there was evidence of smoking in the room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James R
Rochester, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Not only was this place a dump with a nasty comforter, filthy floors and smelly room, they ripped me off saying I smoked in the room and they had proof. It is an absolute scam, as I don't smoke. They refused to refund it saying it was my word over theirs. I had to have my credit card company reverse it. BEWARE of this dive....

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Waterford, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here for 7 hours. Was an awful smell coming from king size bed; as if someone had defecated.
Was also charged $200.00 saying I smoked in the room.

Staff all consisted of foreigners; not sure or do I carte where they come / came from.

Room Tip: Old and smelly.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at this property as it was the official hotel of the wedding we were attending. There was a scheduled shuttle to and from the wedding, a feature for which I could look the other way on many of the downfalls of this inn. However, we were unable to make the shuttle time to the wedding. We asked the desk clerk if we could take a cab to the wedding and take the hotel shuttle back. She replied that we could indeed do that, but that we were on our own as far as finding a cab; she would be unable to assist with that task. What hotel isn't able to help the customers call a cab? We ended up driving ourselves to the wedding, and I volunteered to be the designated driver.

Back to the hotel. Room was huge. Furnishings, carpeting, draperies were tired and mismatched. The room had two double beds, but the bathroom had enough towels for one person. Literally one thin hand towel, one thin bath towel, one washcloth. After the taxi conversation, we didn't bother attempting requesting additional towels.

Can't speak for the breakfast, it was a late wedding and we slept through the complimentary breakfast. The dining area appeared roomy and nicer looking than the hotel rooms. I do not know what the occupancy was at the hotel the night we were there, but upon returning from the wedding reception, there were zero available parking spots and we were forced to park at the restaurant next door.

This property didn't give me the creeps, but it was also not a place I was entirely comfortable. If I needed to spend a night in the Lake Orion area again, I would research all options before I would stay at the Palace Inn again. But from what I can see, this hotel has a bit of a monopoly in the immediate area. Location makes the place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank roadtripblondie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We made reservations here because of it's close proximity to a wedding we were attending and they accepted dogs.

Pros: microwave, refrigerator, great restaurant next door, free internet
Cons: NO closet....I mean none...absolutely no place to hang anything, pillows horribly overstuffed and hard, beds sagging in the middle, breakfast fair at best, and the worst was the front desk. The woman there last night did not speak any sort of acceptable English. We tried to tell here that we would like another pillow and she had no clue what we were saying. I understand that the cleaning ladies might have an English difficulty but I would assume that the front desk needs to have someone who understands simple questions.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
SpringHill Suites Detroit Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
#4 of 17 in Auburn Hills
Hampton Inn Detroit / Auburn Hills - North (Great Lakes Crossing Area)
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive
Baymont Inn & Suites Auburn Hills

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites - Lake Orion/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!