“Great place...”
Review of Lakeside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeside
Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Beautiful building, very friendly staff. Stayed twice within the last month and definitely going back. If you're not used to historic buildings, don't bother. But if you are, this is the place for you.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 September 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Lakeside Inn two times, once in July 2011 for 2 nights and once again this summer in June 2012. My husband and I stayed two nights each time. It is dog friendly (we have a 12 lb dog) and it is only and hour and a half drive from Chicago.

PROS:The Inn is filled with history, it reminds me a little of the movie Dirty Dancing, the huge public rooms for sitting and lounging, it is a Historical Landmark. It has approximately 40 rocking chairs on the front porch, pretty cool. We loved the beach, it was so private and peaceful. It is a short drive to New Buffalo for dinner and drinks every night. We didn't eat at Lakeside as we wanted to venture out. There is a little brochure in the lobby on the history, read it.

CONS: As others have stated, the steps to the beach are not for everyone, there are probably 100 and we had an umbrella, chairs, cooler, bags and dog. Don't forget anything in your room because it is a drag to get back to the room. Room #3 we stayed in this time, the library I think the owner stays in this one when there. The bathroom is super tight, perhaps 12' space to get in between the sink and shower. The only product in the room is a small bar called shampoo soap. Bring proper shampoo and conditioner and soap. We stayed in room #1 the first time, larger with a big tub in the bedroom (I used to wash the dog). I don't think any person would use this but if you have a dog it is great to get the sand off.

I plan to return next summer, for $350 for two nights well worth the short drive, amazing beach and piece of history. Enjoy

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the first floor as that is where they allow dogs. I think if you got a top flo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ChicagoTripper
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Definitely not a fan of the Lakeside Inn. My fiance and I were very disappointed. We paid extra for a "lake view" room and alas...no lakeview. Even in the winter the view would be obstructed by the tall pine trees. I did not feel like the staff was friendly or accommodating. Every time I walked downstairs, I felt judged and out of place. I did, however, love the porch! It was very peaceful. Would not recommend for families or couples looking for romance.

Room Tip: Don't go for any that are considered "lakeview". There's no view...not worth the...
Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stumbled upon this place after making a last minute decision to spend the night on our way back from Chicago. This was definitely one of those times when being spontaneous really paid off! The inn is a real find. Tucked away off the Red Arrow Highway it is a step back in time.

More than just an inn it gives you a real feel for what it was like to vacation on the lake a century ago. Having said that everything is not pristine or perfect--but that is part of its charm. If you need 4-5 star accommodations look elsewhere. If you want an authentic experience you have found your place.

From the rocking chairs on the 100 foot long porch to the arts and crafts furniture to the wooden steps down to the private beach, it is all wonderful and special. If you enjoy antiquing there are lots of great antique stores in the vicinity--and don't miss the village of Three Oaks nearby--a real find in itself.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed 2 nights, had reservations for 3. I was not asked why we were leaving early. Our room was very small and we were disappointed in the overall appearance. Definitely did not want the comforter on the bed. The room could really use a real cleaning, dusting, cobwebs. We did eat breakfast one morning in the Inn and I ordered pancakes. They were absolutely terrible, when do you have a hard crust on pancakes? They must have been reheated on a griddle. We did enjoy the large open room to sit and talk, as far as the front porch lined with all the rockers. Very picturesque, but the whole roof had spider sacks on it. The beach was beautiful, the 200 steps were the only drawback. This place could be so much more if they put some money into it. Housekeeping was friendly, would not go back.

2  Thank SharonR206
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We really enjoyed the gracious and historic feel to this inn, which has been on the Register of National Historic Places as of 2009. The very spacious lobby is filled with craftsman-style furniture and art - so pretty. Our room (#26) was very comfortable, quiet, and we liked having a refrigerator for drinks and snacks. Breakfast in the dining area was good and reasonably-priced (coffee very average, however). The Inn's location is lovely - not only is the private beach a bonus, but the street is perfect for walking, biking, and eyeing the many beautiful lakefront homes. Only suggestion for the Inn - have a daily newspaper for the guests! With no TV (fine with us!), a newspaper would be nice. As for cost, it was a bit pricey, but there are less expensive rooms than ours available.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

WHAT THEY DON’T TELL YOU….

My husband and I stayed at the Lakeside Inn for two nights. It’s a quaint, 1920s-era building that has lots of charm. The rooms are kind of small, but very clean. The furniture was rather shabby but serviceable. The housekeepers are friendly and courteous. Most of the front desk staff was very helpful and forthcoming with information about the area. Lake Michigan is right “across the street.”

What they don’t tell you is that access to the beach is down a steep ravine that has over a hundred steps, with one stretch of 81 steps without a landing! Lugging beach chairs, umbrella and drinks down those stairs is not for the fainthearted. My husband is 75, and I’m 72 and in pretty good shape, but those stairs going down are pretty scary and going up after a full beach day can be a real challenge.

There is a sign posted on the stairwell (our room was on the third floor) to the effect that no loud music or noise will be tolerated after 11 pm. What they don’t tell you is that the front desk staff leaves at 10 pm, and there is no one on staff in the hotel after that time. You get a key to the front door with your room key so you can let yourself in if you’re out later. The second night we were there, the front desk person left at 9 o’clock; he seemed to be in a big hurry to get out of there; he left the lights on where they weren't needed and didn't turn them on where they would be a big help. There is supposed to be coffee set up and ready to go for the morning, but he didn’t take care of it. We washed out the coffee pot and set up the pot. A small thing, but significant, I think. We told the person at the desk the next morning, and she gave us a 10% discount, which we appreciated very much.

The Lakeside Inn is not cheap; we paid $140 a night for a twin room. There are no TVs in the rooms which was okay with us; we sat on the wonderful front porch and watched the sun go down through the trees. The café is not open during the week, so we had to go out for breakfast which was no big deal.

So there are lots of positives and some negatives. You have to decide what is important to you and decide accordingly.

Room Tip: Room 29 has twin beds. It's the only room in the Inn, I think, that has two beds. The rest are o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!