1,127 results
All reviews cellar bar leisure facilities fairways restaurant leisure club steam room and sauna dual carriageway restaurant staff road noise course meal waiting staff christmas party bed and breakfast one night stay wedding reception staff were lovely plenty of parking good nights sleep
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Pros: This hotel includes a spa and fitness centre and is situated overlooking the associated golf course, very pleasant.

Cons: almost everything else!

Since my stay here was for business and hence was booked for me by the company my employer uses for such purposes - with the aim of not paying very much - I, and the colleagues I was working with, had little choice about where to stay!

This was actually my third stay here; the first, several years ago, I was given a very pleasant room overlooking the golf course, the food was just about acceptable (though a number of items were "unavailable"), so overall a rather less-than-pleasing stay.

The second occasion was almost exactly a year ago, when, because of the amount my "employer" is prepared to pay is the absolute minimum, I was given Room 17, in one of the external lodges. This room was dark (only one small window) necessitating the electric light being on whenever I was in the room, very limited storage space (only two small drawers in addition to the wardrobe) and a rather long, thin bathroom, one of whose ceiling lights did not work so one end of the area was permanently in twilight.

This time I was allocated exactly the same room again! Still dark, still very limited storage AND THE BATHROOM LIGHT STILL DID NOT WORK!!! In addition, one of the ceiling lights in the bedroom was also non-functional, so the room was even darker than normal! I duly reported both these non-working items to reception and was told they would be put on the "maintenance list" and would be sorted as quickly as possible. I actually stayed four nights and both lights were still not working the day I checked out. Very impressive, NOT.

The food, on each occasion, has been poor. Breakfast is taken in the main restaurant. The quality of the hot food was overall good but the service varied from "intrusive" (crockery was sometimes cleared almost before one had finished the food ) to "extremely slow", with emptied plates, cups etc, left to pile up on the table, not through a shortage of waiting staff either. Also, if the restaurant has any more than a handful of guests present when you eat, don't ask for anything to be specially cooked; I made the mistake of ordering an omelette; it arrived some 25 minutes after I placed the order, as a result of which I was nearly late to my day's meeting in Coventry.

Evening meal: I hope, if you stay here, you have plenty of time to waste in the evening. In addition to the restaurant, there is the option of eating in the Cellar Bar. On our four nights we ate twice in each, so were easily able to compare the two. The menus in both are similar - as we were staying on an inclusive rate we were told we could have up to £20 worth of food each night, maximum 2 courses. The choice of food on this rate was limited to the items marked with an asterisk on the menu - a seemingly stupid system, since some of the unmarked items were priced at LESS than the price of some marked ones!

The bar Fish and chips was very good, well-cooked, but, having waited anything up to 40 or 50 minutes for it to arrive, perhaps one's hunger leads to a less discriminating palate. Admittedly the delay was exacerbated by the fact that the colleagues I was working with decided their two courses would be Starter and Main, whereas I preferred Main and Dessert. However, the starters could take 15 minutes to appear, even when the bar area was not especially busy. Both nights eating in the bar, there were 5 of us in the group, no meal-time lasted less than about 1.75 hours. Just to add insult to injury, on our second bar meal night, we were handed a menu that one of my colleagues described as the "Children's Menu" - the main courses were entirely burgers or pasta - and told, rather rudely, by one of the bar staff that we actually could only spend £15!! We ignored this!

The restaurant food was a LITTLE more varied than that in the bar, but barely more than half the listed items were available to guests on the inclusive dining option. (One could select a non-asterisked item, in which case one was expected to pay the full listed price, no allowance set against the "inclusive option", even if the item one wanted was actually LESS in cost than an "included" (asterisked) item.) Service was, if anything, slower than that in the bar; an evening meal for five, or, in the case of our final night, for 10, took at least 2 hours.

The entire group of five of us came away from our stay here vowing never to return. Even one of the colleagues who joined us on the last night because she was to particiapte only in the last day of our four day meeting so was staying in the hotel for only one night, expressed her considerable lack of enthsiasm for the food served as her evening meal.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms in the adjacent lodge buildings
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We went to the hotel for a family dinner event. The room was lovely and clean although the mattress rather soft for my liking. My only issue was the bar closed rather early - 1130pm on a Saturday night.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

I had booked a standard double room and was upgraded to a ground floor executive room on arrival, which was a lovely surprise. There was no air conditioning so I went to open the window and found that there were broken catches on both windows (one had split wood as if the window had been forced) and neither window was secure. I waited until a friend arrived and went to reception to report the windows. As we left the room, the door became faulty and wouldnt lock. I explained the problem to the gentleman on reception but he was struggling to understand what I meant, concentrating on trying to write it down rather than listen. I suggested that he come to the room so that I could show him (as it was less than a few steps from reception), but he said he couldn't leave the desk. A lady appeared from the back office and I attempted to explain the problem to her. She said that she had to call a manager then started to ring around to try to find them. By this point my friend was getting annoyed and several times suggested that I needed another room. The manager appeared and fiddled with the door, solving the problem with an almighty slam. Next he investigated the windows and had to agree that the room was insecure. Finally I was given another room on the other side of the corridor but by then they had wasted almost 30 minutes fluffing about when in reality an alternative room should have been offered and the problem with my original room solved later. All that said it was a lovely view of the golf course from the new room, the bed was a little soft but that is my personal preference. The food in the bar (when we got there) was pretty good and the bar staff were lovely
Breakfast was a trek through a rabbit warren of corridors to a typical hotel buffet breakfast, nice sausages, choice of freshly cooked eggs etc but the bacon (sorry!) wasn't nice. Finally (just to be aware of) if you are staying here without a car the taxi to and from Coventry will be more expensive on the way back to Coventry as the hotel is on a dual carriageway and the taxi has to go round the houses to get back on the road towards Coventry. There was almost £5 difference in my fares.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Place is fine - no better no worse.

It’s clean but dated - has a shower curtain in the bathroom.

No drinking water in the room - £3,50 a bottle if you do want some.

Residents bar closes early - I got back with colleagues @ midnight and whilst they’d get us a beer - you can’t drink it in the foyer.

Breakfast is also an early affair - closes at 9,30am so get down early if you want something.

I didn’t play but the golf course looked decent enough.

Location is mid way between Coventry and Birmingham so that’s handy.

I’d only return if it was a work related type thing.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Thus place is nice and somewhat scenic with a nice view of the golf course. But it is right on the highway and with literally no access to anywhere except by car from the highway. Forget about walking anywhere at all.

I was given a room in a side building that had a moldy smell and was right next to the highway, and nobody had paid any attention to noise insulation. I realized I wouldn’t be able to sleep and asked for a different room. No apologies or pleasantries, but I was moved to a room in the main building, which I highly recommend.

However even this room had maintenance issues. The phone was dead, the shower was broken (it could only do ice cold or boiling hot), and the cleaners never came. The front desk, again, listened and took a note, or not, but no apology or surprise.

I will not return if given a choice; and if you come here I would advise you to insist on a room in the main building.

2  Thank Qwerty999