My son and I stayed here overnight for an MSU sponsored athletic event in which my son was participating. For that limited purpose, our guy’s weekend stay was fine and the room was fine, and if you want to pay much more to address some of the negatives below, you’ve got options. One must bear in mind that no amount of money thrown at any East Lansing hotel will save one from wishing one were in Ann Arbor instead.
I’d probably stay here again for a similar East Lansing event. It’s close though. Here are plusses and minuses.
• As others state, basic room was clean and reasonably updated, despite worn exterior featuring worn paint rust and failing concrete in lot.
• Internet access, while weak signaled, was acceptable and easy to log in to.
• Within a mile or two of south end of campus – easy convenient drive and shockingly convenient to express ways.
• As others have noted, friendly staff. Maybe a bit too much so for my taste, but that is probably my problem.
• Trip Advisor aware – big time.
• Room was quiet.
• The attempt at complimentary breakfast is a big fail. The muffin, bottled water and orange barely the size of balls at nearby golf course did not cut it. Add $10 per person plus gas and whatever you value your time at to go get breakfast someplace else.
• Despite reviews of others: no frig or microwave in my room or adjacent rooms.
• Absolutely no other commercial establishments within walking or even very short driving distance.
• Note cumulative effect of above: ITS HARD TO GET ANY FOOD! (Note: Ann Arbor Plymouth Red Roof – similar in many respects, has culture all over the place and a 24 hour restaurant built right in).
• The toilet was operational but needed massaging – others have commented on this.
• Yes there is flat screen TV but free viewing channels are OK but limited: just 22 by my count. So for example, not even any MSNBC.
• If you are one of those smell oriented folks, you may have a problem. There was a smoker/pet/travel industry smell pretty much everyplace reminiscent of your Aunt Hilda’s place in Traverse City with the 3 oversized cocker spaniels and cat she doesn’t let out quite enough. But pet owners including Hilda probably are all around and obviously love the place.
• No Coffee in room. Though there’s some in the lobby.
• Bathroom very small – the sinks in the general area helped though.
Again though, I give the place a passing grade, and there is a place across the street that did not make it through the difficult times in our state. Even on short stay, you can see the effort of management to do their very best, and for me that goes a long way too.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Red Roof Inn Lansing East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Roof Inn Lansing
- Lansing Red Roof Inn