“Was going to be a 3 but ended up as a 4”

Red Roof Inn Lansing East
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Checked in and was given a King Suite on the ground floor. When I walked into the room the smell of smoke was overwhelming. It was seriously off putting. I went back to the main office and spoke with the desk clerk. She was great; she gave me keys to 2 more rooms and told me I could go and check the rooms first to see if either was suitable. I was able to move my stuff into the first of the two rooms which smelled much cleaner. The room was well cleaned. The rooms are dated but it was clean which is our priority. The rest of the stay was unremarkable. Yay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for responding on tripadvisor and I do agree that smoking in rooms is a big problem for for the hotel industry. When this happens at Lansing East the guest is charged $200.00 fine for a violation of Michigan Law and the room is cleaned in a special way to take the smoke smell out. Again, thanks for staying at Lansing East and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Lansing East

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was very happy with how the mgr David Walsh handled my room reservation. The housekeepers do an excellent job cleaning and getting the rooms ready for the next patron. I'm impressed with how the remodeling was professionally done.

• Stayed: June 2013
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Thank you for your kind words, I will share them my staff and I hope you will visit us here in Lansing the next time you our in town as well as the many location we have nation wide, Again, thanks for your kind words and thanks for choosing Red Roof Inn.

David Walsh General Manager
3615 Dunckel Road
Lansing, Michigan 48910

Reviewed 1 June 2013

My son and I stayed here overnight for an MSU sponsored athletic event in which my son was participating. For that limited purpose, our guy’s weekend stay was fine and the room was fine, and if you want to pay much more to address some of the negatives below, you’ve got options. One must bear in mind that no amount of money thrown at any East Lansing hotel will save one from wishing one were in Ann Arbor instead.

I’d probably stay here again for a similar East Lansing event. It’s close though. Here are plusses and minuses.

PLUSSES
• As others state, basic room was clean and reasonably updated, despite worn exterior featuring worn paint rust and failing concrete in lot.
• Internet access, while weak signaled, was acceptable and easy to log in to.
• Within a mile or two of south end of campus – easy convenient drive and shockingly convenient to express ways.
• As others have noted, friendly staff. Maybe a bit too much so for my taste, but that is probably my problem.
• Trip Advisor aware – big time.
• Room was quiet.

MINUSES
• The attempt at complimentary breakfast is a big fail. The muffin, bottled water and orange barely the size of balls at nearby golf course did not cut it. Add $10 per person plus gas and whatever you value your time at to go get breakfast someplace else.
• Despite reviews of others: no frig or microwave in my room or adjacent rooms.
• Absolutely no other commercial establishments within walking or even very short driving distance.
• Note cumulative effect of above: ITS HARD TO GET ANY FOOD! (Note: Ann Arbor Plymouth Red Roof – similar in many respects, has culture all over the place and a 24 hour restaurant built right in).
• The toilet was operational but needed massaging – others have commented on this.
• Yes there is flat screen TV but free viewing channels are OK but limited: just 22 by my count. So for example, not even any MSNBC.
• If you are one of those smell oriented folks, you may have a problem. There was a smoker/pet/travel industry smell pretty much everyplace reminiscent of your Aunt Hilda’s place in Traverse City with the 3 oversized cocker spaniels and cat she doesn’t let out quite enough. But pet owners including Hilda probably are all around and obviously love the place.
• No Coffee in room. Though there’s some in the lobby.
• Bathroom very small – the sinks in the general area helped though.
Again though, I give the place a passing grade, and there is a place across the street that did not make it through the difficult times in our state. Even on short stay, you can see the effort of management to do their very best, and for me that goes a long way too.

GO BLUE!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank intrepidad
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for responding on tripadvisor will love to hear from our guest as it lets us know where we need to improve so as to better serve our guest. I will share your thought with the staff and will ask you to stay with us again the next time you come to Lansing. Again I thank you fro your time and GO GREEN !

David S. Walsh
General Manager Red Roof Lansing East

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Located convieniently off the Interstate, close to MSU (our destination).The staff was nice and helpful (actually got us ck'ed in early). The room had a few minor problems that we didn't concern 'office' about. The toilet only flushed if you held the handle down one certain way. Okay so we had to stand there and hold it a good 20 sec. the overhead light did not come on when switched on, but later it would randomly come on. We had to go get clean towels the next day because they thought we didn't want maid service, ??? (communication didn't happen). The morning we were leaving ants had found their way in and were all over the pet bowl. Had not one bug til then. The bathroom was very clean but old. The beds fairly comfortable, carpet not worn. (need to vacuum more thoroughly under beds, luckily all i saw was some change.) Thank heavens for 'pet-friendly' hotels!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rdkdyk

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor , your comments will help us to provide better service to our customers and identify the areas we need to improve in. Thanks again for responding and hope you will stay with us the next time you stay in Lansing.

David S. Walsh General Manager Red Roof Inn Lansing East

Reviewed 14 May 2013

This place is a bit deceiving as the outside is a little shabby looking and the parking lot is full of potholes but once you get inside your room it's quite acceptable and good value for the money. The beds and pillows are new and comfortable and the room is surprisingly quiet, probably one of the quietest rooms I've ever been in even though they were fully booked both nights I was there. I heard one of the staff mention they were short on housekeeping staff when I checked in, which may explain why the room was not as clean as it might have been. I found several cobwebs, items on the carpet and hairs in the tub. The bedding was spotless and the towels were replaced each day so I didn't really have anything to complain about. Overall I was quite pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank roasterdave
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about us us on tripadvisor. I will share your thought with the staff so they know exactly what the guest want so we can better serve our guest. Again thank you for your kind words, and please visit us again the next time you come to Lansing.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Overall the room was clean, noise transfer not a problem. Rooms had just been updated and looked great. Staff friendly, the only thing was one breakfast was given instead of two.
Location a little off Hwy 96 but not bad. The previous night we stayed in Ann Arbor and it was not as great as this one.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for your kind words about the property and the staff. In future stays if you need a 2nd breakfast just ask the front desk GSRs and they would be more than happy to provide you with another one. Thanks again for the review and please stay with us the next time you come to Lansing.

David Walsh General Manager
3615 Dunckel road
Lansing, Michigan 48910

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed here with my dog and the room was clean and everything was taken into consideration that I had my pet. I was given a room by the stairs so I could take him out easily. When I inquired about food, the desk clerk gave me a flyer about a pizza place that delivered hot fresh pizza in half an hour!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thanks for the kind words and hope you like the new rooms. I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Lansing and I will share your thoughts with the staff. Thanks again and I hope we will see you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Red Roof Inn Lansing West
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 26 in Lansing
Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)

Been to Red Roof Inn Lansing East? Share your experiences!