Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Comfort Inn(Lansing)
View Hotel
All reviewslansing westfront deskburger kingroom was cleanstaff was very friendlygreat roomplace to sleepa great stayflat screenmicrowave and fridgewould stay againenjoyed my stayone night staycookiesoff the highwayconvenient locationmotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2012

As usual, I researched TripAdvisor diligently and booked a couple of nights at this Red Roof. I've had positive experiences in the past with this motel chain: They are usually a great compromise between cost and amenities, but without sacrificing the most important thing to me about a hotel stay, which is a good night's sleep.

I checked in on the evening of June 6. The first room I was assigned to, #205, already had an occupant (imagine the reaction when I walked in on a half-naked man and his partner -- yikes). Without even so much as an apology, the front desk gal reassigned me to room #206; this room smelled like marijuana, and the main door wouldn't latch properly. Finally, I was reassigned to room #239, and it reeked of cigarette smoke, despite being a non-smoking room. Exhausted after a long drive, I decided to brave it for the night. As I was settling in, I discovered blood/other fluid stains on the pillows and sheets, and human hair (not from one's head, mind you) embedded in the sheets and blankets.

Things got worse. All night, occupants were drunkenly running around the second-floor walkways, causing all sorts of racket: stomping, yelling obscenities, slamming doors. Some guy was on his cell phone arguing with his girlfriend right outside my door at 1:15AM.

Even for 50 bucks, which is what I paid for for the night, this simply wasn't worth it. I couldn't sleep at all, and I had an important business endeavor the next day. I am baffled as to why this hotel rated so highly on TripAdvisor. Please be warned: the nonchalant attitude of the front desk, the use of this establishment as a late-night party locale, the permeating scent of cigarette smoke and other drug paraphernalia, and the inattention to cleanliness makes this hotel a no-go for me anytime in the future at any cost.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hawh123
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Thank you for your response, I'm so very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. As you can see from many other reviews this is very unusual for this inn. Because of the issues you had you were not charged for your stay, we do not believe in charging you if you are not completely satisfied! I can assure you all issues will be addressed immediatly. Thank you for your time, and I hope you can give us another chance.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

easy access from interstate, friendly check-in. Request for quiet room was accommodated. This all-non-smoking hotel finds its smoking clientele lingering on balconies, staircases and exits. I was totally impressed with my superior king room. Modern, stylish and new furnishings. Desk counter, comfy chair, fridge (no freezer compartment), large TV, nice bed and bath room. Good night sleep, the loudest thing were the birds. Breakfast is a mini-affair, barely gets the motor started, but coffee is good. Overall, excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Thank you very much for the kind response, I will share it with my team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Some friends and I stayed here over the weekend for a birthday. We had a nice room and the staff was very helpful when we asked for things like cab info and extra pillows. The room was clean and had nice extras like a microwave and fridge at no extra cost. I would say here again if I visit the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you very much for your response. I am glad to hear you had a good stay. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Excellent for the price . The rooms were clean and comfortable. Highly Recommended . Close to all resources . Food delivery quick and easy from nearby restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank msen
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you for your review, I will be sure to share this with the team. We look forward to you next visit!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn in west Lansing, MI inn and were very pleased with the accommodations. The room was clean and fresh and the staff was very friendly and supportive. Great value, will reccomend to family and friends.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with a non smoking, renovated room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank abfamilyvac
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you very much for the kind review! We look forward to your visit in the near future.