“Great place for the price”

Red Roof Inn Lansing West
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Lansing
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

I highly recommend this hotel. It was a great price. And a great stay. Clean rooms and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for the kind response. I will be sure to share it with the rest of the team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

It's been a while since I have stayed at this red roof inn, a few months. The first thing I noticed was a big new flat screen TV and fluffy new pillows. The carpet also looked new. My wife and i recently drove to Florida and back. We always try to stay at red roof inns. This one was 20 to 40 dollars less than most. The room was very clean especially the bathroom. The staff was very accommodating. I needed an extra pillow, since my back gets sore from driving. I asked the front desk staff for one and someone from house keeping delivered it in about fifteen minutes. This place just keeps getting better and better. I will always choose these commendations while staying in the Lansing area. One last thought there is a unique food, vegetable, and flower market next door.

Room Tip: West side is nice if you get there before sunset.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leonard b
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you very much for the great review! We always love to hear from our regular guests, I will make sure to share with the rest of the team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We don't normally stay at Red Roof Inns because honestly, they have a reputation for being sub-par when it comes to hotels. However, just like anyone else, we were looking to save some money and after seeing that this hotel had a lot of decent reviews, we decided to book a night here this weekend.
I don't need a palace. No need for fancy soaps and mints on the pillow, or 100 tv channels or a gym. Just a nice, clean, quiet place to rest for the night.
Well, I learned a lesson in the "You Get What You Pay For" book...I will never again skimp when it comes to hotels.

First of all, the person at the check-in desk wasn't very friendly. Maybe she was just having a bad day, I don't know. No smile, no "welcome", no information, nothing. Just gave her my information, we got our card and that's it. I didn't need a conversation, or a life story, just maybe a smile and a "thank you" would have worked fine for me.

Our room was ok. Upon first look, it was nice to see that perhaps the decor in the room had maybe been redone in the past five years or so. The beds looked clean and there were no outstanding odors, which is always a good thing.

However, when I walked in the bathroom, I noticed that someone's used shaver had been left on the tub, and there was quite a bit of body hair on the edge and all around the tub. Also, the "wood" floor looked like it hadn't been swept in some time.

Like I said, I don't expect a fancy environment, but one thing I cannot stand is a dirty bathroom. It just made me think that either they really don't care, or maybe they don't treat their employees well enough to make them want to do a good job? I don't know...just speculating here, but it was a thought.

Not that anybody uses the telephones in the rooms anymore, but that was pretty disgusting looking too.

We didn't stay for the "breakfast"...wait, was there one? (The desk lady didn't say anything...hmmm...) And we were just happy to get back on the road and move on.

An experience like this makes me understand why she (yep, the same lady who checked us in at 2pm was there at 9am, wow) didn't ask us how our stay was.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $20 and go with a three star hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hideelee
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm displeased to hear about your stay. This is very unusal to hear about my property and staff. I'd like to gain more information from you about your stay. Please contact me, we will always do our best to make it right, even after the fact! Thank you again

Reviewed 3 July 2012

If you like sleeping in beds with body hair, using sinks sprinkled with facial hair, and lights that don't work, this is the perfect hotel for you! absolutely unacceptable, and the customer service is not up to par.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very sorry you had a bad experience. Please contact me, I would love to speak with you about the issues. I can assure you we will make it right!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was very surprised to find the room to be quite large and well-equipped. The price was amazing. Unfortunately, I had neighbors that were up all night with their door opening and closing a ridiculous number of times throughout the night. I slept with the TV on, trying to drown out the door, their constant chatter, etc. As far as the room goes, I had no problem at all. All rooms open to the outside, so I often walked out of the room to the lovely smell of people smoking out on the balcony.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I'm very sorry you were disturbed by noisy neighbors. I am happy to hear the rest of your stay was comfortable. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

As usual, I researched TripAdvisor diligently and booked a couple of nights at this Red Roof. I've had positive experiences in the past with this motel chain: They are usually a great compromise between cost and amenities, but without sacrificing the most important thing to me about a hotel stay, which is a good night's sleep.

I checked in on the evening of June 6. The first room I was assigned to, #205, already had an occupant (imagine the reaction when I walked in on a half-naked man and his partner -- yikes). Without even so much as an apology, the front desk gal reassigned me to room #206; this room smelled like marijuana, and the main door wouldn't latch properly. Finally, I was reassigned to room #239, and it reeked of cigarette smoke, despite being a non-smoking room. Exhausted after a long drive, I decided to brave it for the night. As I was settling in, I discovered blood/other fluid stains on the pillows and sheets, and human hair (not from one's head, mind you) embedded in the sheets and blankets.

Things got worse. All night, occupants were drunkenly running around the second-floor walkways, causing all sorts of racket: stomping, yelling obscenities, slamming doors. Some guy was on his cell phone arguing with his girlfriend right outside my door at 1:15AM.

Even for 50 bucks, which is what I paid for for the night, this simply wasn't worth it. I couldn't sleep at all, and I had an important business endeavor the next day. I am baffled as to why this hotel rated so highly on TripAdvisor. Please be warned: the nonchalant attitude of the front desk, the use of this establishment as a late-night party locale, the permeating scent of cigarette smoke and other drug paraphernalia, and the inattention to cleanliness makes this hotel a no-go for me anytime in the future at any cost.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank hawh123
Jennifer T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Thank you for your response, I'm so very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. As you can see from many other reviews this is very unusual for this inn. Because of the issues you had you were not charged for your stay, we do not believe in charging you if you are not completely satisfied! I can assure you all issues will be addressed immediatly. Thank you for your time, and I hope you can give us another chance.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

easy access from interstate, friendly check-in. Request for quiet room was accommodated. This all-non-smoking hotel finds its smoking clientele lingering on balconies, staircases and exits. I was totally impressed with my superior king room. Modern, stylish and new furnishings. Desk counter, comfy chair, fridge (no freezer compartment), large TV, nice bed and bath room. Good night sleep, the loudest thing were the birds. Breakfast is a mini-affair, barely gets the motor started, but coffee is good. Overall, excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Thank you very much for the kind response, I will share it with my team. We look forward to your next visit.