“Don't Miss It!”

Michigan History Center
Ranked #1 of 7 Museums in Lansing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Michigan History Center fosters curiosity, enjoyment and inspiration rooted in Michigan's stories. Home to both the Archives of Michigan and the Michigan History Museum, the Michigan History Center offers experiences for visitors of all ages and interests. Admission to the Michigan History Museum is $6 for adults, $4 for Seniors 65+, $2 for children 6-17 and free for children 5 and under. There is no admission charge for the museum on Sundays. There is no admission charge for the Archives of Michigan. The Archives are open 1:00 - 5:00 pm Monday-Friday, and 10:00 am - 4:00 pm on Saturday.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
North Muskegon, Michigan, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Don't Miss It!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great place for a family visit. The history of our state comes alive. Done very well! It doesn't take too long and should be included with a trip to the capital building.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kimberley T

• Korean first
Lansing, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Michigan history 101”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful building loaded with Michigan history items. Nice parking area. Handicap friendly. Nice gift shop.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank MichiganMom1956
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice place”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a nice museum to go to, just make sure you aren't there when there are school tours going on. It offers low admission and has a lot of information to offer. I especially liked the Civil War part of the museum. When I went there, there was a volunteer who gave me some more insight on the Civil War exhibit. I would take at least an hour to an hour to a hour and a half to soak in all the information they have to offer here.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank ASL_Secretary14
Perry, Michigan
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Read before going during a weekday while school is still in session!!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Even though I'd lived in Michigan all my life, I'd never been to the museum so my husband and I went together as part of our "date" day/night.. we went late morning-early afternoon on a weekday thinking it would be less busy, and it was SWARMING with elementary school children doing field trips lol.. the gal working the admissions desk gave us a tip though - she said the museum floors are divided into time periods, and if we didn't mind seeing the most recent time period 1st and working our way backwards, it'd help with the crowds.. and boy, was she right!!! One elevator ride later it was almost as if we had the whole place to ourselves!! Some of the displays were so packed together with relics it was a little difficult to know what exactly we were looking at, but overall very interesting! I don't wanna be a spoioer so I won't go into display details :) I can't wait to take the kids.. they even have a small cafe to have a snack or lunch which is nice because no food is allowed on the display floors.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank jamigirl78
Lansing, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Well worth the trip”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Michigan Historical Museum begins with Native Americans, leads you through the timber industry and copper mining to the labor movement and manufacturing to Stevie Wonder and Motown. The admission price is low and the education and entertainment value is high. There's something for almost every age group, and even someone who has lived much or all of their life in Michigan can learn something new about this amazing state. When I have out-of-town or international guests, I make time to take them to this museum.

Visited October 2013