“Okay place, but I wouldn't return.”

Quality Suites Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Lansing
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Canada
“Okay place, but I wouldn't return.”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Good location, easy on and off the highway. Facility is well maintained. I was less than impressed with the service I received. The front desk people were NOT rude, they just didn't care about what they were doing...I was so surprised to see them advertise than they'd won a platinum award for service...I never would have guessed it from my visit. Upon arrival, the girl and the front desk repeated all the information about social hour/breakfast and the facility. No enthusiasm here cuz it was clear that she'd given this "speel" hundreds of times before. I didn't like that she stressed "only 2 free drinks". Suite was smaller than I expected with a small fridge. No real kitchen area...terrible if you are travelling with children. There were 3 of us in this suite, at it was SMALL. Bathroom was tub/shower and toilet. Sink was outside in the bedroom...inconvient. Bed was good, view from my room was terrible, so I kept the drapes pulled while there. The first thing that struck me about this facility was the decor in the lobby/eating/meeting area. It was hideous. I don't know who decorated the place, but they clearly didn't know what they were doing. Believe me, I don't usually comment on such things, but the colours and layout of these areas offended my sensibilities. Evening reception: good selection of drinks. Food left a lot to be desired. I know they're only supposed to be snacks but...our night it was salsa, nachos and mozza sticks. The social hour started at 5 and we arrived at 5:10 and all the hot food was gone. When I inquired. the terse answer from the bartender was..More is coming out. I asked when...with no reply. I also asked if there was a dip (tomoto sauce) for the mozza sticks...again I received a rather terse response. It will come out when it's ready, it never did! Breakfast was cooked to order (sort of) the cook asked me what I wanted and everything had been pre-cooked except the eggs! The portions given were small and I had to asked twice for another sausage link...felt like the food was being rationed. Breakfast times were from 6 to 9...that's way too early for my liking...hey, I'm on vacation...why so early? Check out was at 11 (again, too early, what's wrong with noon?) I had gotten physically ill from the "free" breakfast and was too ill to leave the hotel room by 11:00. At 11:15 there was a loud knock at the door. When opened there was a VERY ANGRY LOOKING maid, with a clipboard...she didn't have to say a thing, her body language and facial expression said it all. My husband said, I was ill, and that's we'd be out of the room in 5 minutes. Now I travel a lot, and I know that most hotels give their patrons a grace period...The Sheraton chain gives you 1 hour grace...but obviously Quality Suites does not! Finally ready to check out, the front attendant asked about our stay. I said I had gotten ill, and that the air conditioner was so loud going on and off, that it got in the way of a good nite's sleep...the response...Oh, I'm sorry!.
Place doesn't have a swimming pool, just a hot tub, that I didn't find.
Business centre was a joke...2 computers that crashed a lot and no place to sit down...you had to stand to access the computers...what's with that?
Well, that's about it for this place. When returning to this area, I will stay across the street at the Residence Inn..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
MO
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed here after reading the raves on Trip Advisor. And they were right. This is a very nice hotel, lots of room, comfortable beds, clean. But the icing on the cake is the price. Truthfully, we had lower than usual expectations because of the $71 room rate, but we've stayed in hotels that cost twice that amount that were not as nice. I wish all hotels could offer this much service for this kind of price, we could travel more.

If you're staying in Lansing and don't need to be right on top of the airport, look no further.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JdubyaMO
Santee, California
Reviewed 21 June 2009

This was a wonderful motel from the time we checked in and until we checked out. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The two room "suite" was clean, spacious and well maintained. All rooms are accessible from inside the building which was spacious and even had a gazebo in the center. They had an afternoon social hour with hot meatballs which were delicious and two free cocktails. The morning hot breakfast included eggs, bacon, etc. which was more and better food than other motels in this category. The price was very reasonable for service obtained. This was probably the best motel that we have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Elsieann
Franklin Park, Illinois
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We recently stayed here one night while in the Lansing area.The room was clean and comfortable with a refrigerator,sink and two televisions.The bathroom we had was very spacious. We have no complaints, it is a good value for what we paid. The breakfast which is included, was very good. We would recommend this hotel if staying in the Lansing area.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank drw2112
Indiana
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Not only is this hotel beautiful and immaculate, the staff is wonderful. They serve a full breakfast (free) and have a cocktal hour that is also free. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are spacious and have coffee maker, micro wave and a fridge. The staff is courteous and helpful and i always look forward to staying in this fabulous hotel...i would recommend it anyone. LOVE IT!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank manpc2002
Flushing, MI
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Weekend away for 5 sisters and we had a GREAT time. The staff (inluding Crazy Tom and the Manager Mike to name just a couple), was VERY friendly and the hotel VERY clean. Loved our room, indoor gazebo and atrium. Enjoyed the social hour in the evening including the free drinks and the breakfast. Location was close to everything we needed. We all agreed we would stay there again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank jesjar
Greenwood, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2009

I traveled by myself (40 yo woman) to Lansing for training and chose the Quality Suites based on the reviews here and the price. I wasn't disappointed. It is in a central location close to the freeway, MSU, Downtown Lansing, and the Lansing Mall. Lots of restaurants close by. I had a quick check in and was offered two complimentary beverages (alcoholic or Non alcoholic), which is available every evening for a couple of hours. The room was very comfortable. It was large, and very clean. It was stocked with the usual amenties (coffee, hair dryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion). There was a small fridge and a microwave. I was pleasantly suprised by the little sundry store in the lobby that offered drinks, candy, chocolate, small gifts, microwave popcorn and burritos, and other trinkets and treats. There was free computer use with internet access in the lobby and also internet access in the room. It was VERY quiet, which also surprised me since there was a bowling tourney and a gymnastics group staying at the hotel. The lobby was very inviting and comfortable.

There is a hot breakfast each morning in the lobby area. The kitchen staff is so friendly and helpful. I believe Tom was the chef of the day that day, and he was a total hoot. It was thoroughly enjoyable. They had eggs, bacon, cereals, hash browns, yogurt, fruit, milk, tea, hot cocoa, coffee, water and juice. Very filling and all included in the room price! How can you beat it?

I would have to say that the only possible negative was there isn't a pool. There is a hot tub however. I didn't use it so can't comment on it. I wouldn't have used the pool either, but just thought I would let others know there isn't one. Don't let it stop you from staying here though. I will absolutely stay here again should I return to Lansing for training or for a weekend get away. I felt safe as a solo traveler. It was very clean, comfortable and affordable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Please go. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business