“Great Family Vacation”
Review of Oak Cove Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lawrence
Oak Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lawrence
Whitmore Lake, Michigan
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Just returned from a week at Oak Cove. The resort is located on a clean clean Lake Cora. The food is very good! Bob and Sue couldn't be nicer! Always asking how you are doing by NAME! I still can't believe they can remember everyone's name! The cottages are cute and when you arrive are very clean. I do wish there was more shelves or hooks to hang things up or to place items brought from home.; that was my only concern all week! Great place., and we all had a good time. We will be back next year. Already put our deposit down!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank linnette1953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had a wonderful time there! The staff were caring and friendly. The owners treated us like family! Such caring, lovely people! And there's plenty of lake activities and golf to enjoy! We didn't have enough time to enjoy it all!

• Stayed August 2011
SW Ontario
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife, my 2-year-old daughter and myself stayed at Oak Cove Resort from July 6-9 this summer. All of us had an enjoyable experience and would love to return next year for a full week's stay.

Bob put us up in the basement of the Lake House, which is separate from the upstairs but has multiple bedrooms, a bathroom and family room. Oh, it's got some million-dollar views of the lake too. It was clean, quiet and comfortable and beyond what I was expecting. Gotta love those king-sized beds.

The resort, and particularly the dining room, evoke a certain atmosphere that is difficult to describe. A combination of relaxation, down-home charm, camaraderie and cottage life. All the staff we dealt with were great. And Grandma Ivy knows a thing or two about fruit cobblers and peanut butter pie (my favorite dish of our stay).

We spent quite a lot of time in the pool and down on the beach. The lake has a hard bottom but is a bit weedy - doesn't bother me (or my daughter) but the wife was squeamish about weeds touching her legs.

Now that we have one visit under our belt, we'll be a bit better organized next time. We left the resort for lunch each day but next year we'll plan better so we can stay put unless we want to go to Paw Paw or something. None of the lunches we had off-site were particularly memorable, and I can't exactly recommend the Grapevine Grill that highly.

For a place like this, the weather can really make or break your stay, but the weather we had was outstanding. Oh, the wifi signal was appreciated to, it helped amuse my daughter with iPad YouTube videos whilst Mommy and Daddy relaxed. Oh, we didn't do any golfing (impossible with a two-year-old), but maybe next time.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the basement of the Lake House!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DrakeLabatt
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2011

A wonderful place to escape and relax in your very own cabin. The down home cooking was very good and the friendly atmosphere was most inviting. If you like an old-fashioned kind of vacation, with or without family, this is the place for you. And if you like antiquities, you'll love exploring the lodge which is loaded with items I grew up with. This resort is the very definition of the past -- recycled!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Winchester, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 June 2011

When we first arrived, I kind of knew what to expect, since I'd read so many reviews on TripAdvisor. I knew I would "settle my bill" as soon as I arrived and I knew it was very informal. What I didn't expect was pretty much everything else. When my husband and I, along with our 2 kids, first got to our cottage, we were completely underwhelmed- and to be honest I wasn't really sure what to think. It was small and dated, but kept very clean. This isn't a problem while you are there since most of the time you are not in your cottage - we fished, and swam in the lake, along with taking out the paddleboats and rowboats. The pool was heated so our 2 kids were either there or at the lake, which was very clean and clear.

The dinner bell was rung twice daily at 8:30am and 5:30pm for breakfast and dinner - which are both included in your cost. Bob and Susan greeted us at each meal and knew us by name... which wasn't a surprise since I think most of the other people there have been coming for over 15 years as yearly reunion. The food was great and there was plenty of it! The wait staff was very helpful and friendly, and were eager to take care of you. There was also a nice view of the lake from the porch where we enjoyed all of our meals.

The location is pretty central to both PawPaw Michigan and Lawrence Michigan - if you like wineries you are in for a treat. I found some of the best local wines you could ask for. Kalamazoo was close enough if you forgot something you could run out to the store and pick it up, so you were not too far away from "civilization".

I think we were very lucky in that we were "adopted" by the other families vacationing there that week. We didn't bring a boat or jet ski or anything, but the other families did, and they were more than happy to take us out on the lake with them even teaching our kids to drive the jet ski. We met some really nice people, and had so many things to do while we were there that my kids are looking forward to another visit at Oak Cove. They haven't stopped talking about it since we got home, so I'm pretty sure there will be a return visit - I think it was the most relaxing vacation we could have asked for.

Room Tip: The lake cottages offer a little more privacy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank scojopow
Skokie
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We have done our extended family retreat there for many years. Obviously we come back because we love it. Sue and Bob are the best hosts. They know every guest personally, making you feel like part of their family too. They cook fabulous meals, and maintain the property very well. One of the best aspects is it's simplicity: No TV. Instead we talk at the beach, play softball or volleyball, BBQ lunches, sunbath on the raft, tell stories in the cabins at night, and play family board games until we are tired. This is the wonderful opposite to a Disney vacation. Don't miss Sugar Bear in Paw Paw for ice cream!

Room Tip: Cabins by the lake are simpler but a shorter walk
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Chillicothe, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My wife and I are now 62 years of age. Over the years (with our 3 children and/or 3 grandchildren) we have been on vacation form east to west and north to south. Several years ago our daughter found out about Oak Cove Resort, so we decide to give it a try. My wife, myself, our daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren came to Oak Cove for a week. I could go on and on about how excellent everything was. But, I'll simply put it this way, on the last day of our stay at Oak Cove my wife and daughter went to Bob and Susan and made reservations for the next year and have done so every year since. They have never done this anywhere else. Ken and Ann

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lawrence
Travelodge Paw Paw
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kalamazoo
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Paw Paw

Been to Oak Cove Resort? Share your experiences!