“Beautiful view of Wolf Lake”

Gorton House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Lewiston B&B and Inns
Howell, Michigan
“Beautiful view of Wolf Lake”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We enjoyed 3 days at the B&B by ourselves. Loved going out in the boat and watching the birds at breakfast. Lois served nice breakfasts and left us alone to explore. Would come back again. Wish breakfast hour was a little more flexibe.

Room Tip: The lakeshore room was a little boring in decorating. The view was beautiful. Thought the room would...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. We had a late arrival on the first night. No problem! Breakfasts were amazing with lots of variety, healthy options, and a great all season room to enjoy watching the birds while we ate. Owners, Lois and Tom, are great! I felt the urge to hug them when I left!

The pictures on the website don't actually do the home justice. This home is very comfortable and it feels like staying with family (but better, if you know what I mean, haha!). We stayed in the Pines. The room was so peaceful and quiet. My husband is a light sleeper and slept very well. He also likes a firm bed while I like a soft one. This bed must have been somewhere in the middle because we both slept very comfortably.

Not a lot of water pressure in the shower, but enough to wash shampoo out of hair, etc.

All in all, we had an absolutely fabulous stay and won't forget it. I hope we make it back there.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Pines. A large room with private bath. It was very quiet. Fireplace was nice! B...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the 4th of July. We found it to be very comfortable and relaxing sitting on the shore of Wolf Lake before going in to Gaylord to check out the Call of the Wild museum. When we returned, we enjoyed delicious home-made chocolate chip cookies (hard to stop at just one!) as we sat by the firepit. I don't think we've ever stayed at a bed and breakfast where you could enjoy a campfire! Later we went to see the fireworks in Johanesberg, The breakfast was amazing-more food than what we could eat! The hospitality was wonderful. I highly recommend Gorton House Bed and breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Livonia, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was exactly what my husband and I were looking for after the stresses of life had drained us a little. We stayed in the "Pines" room, and it was a fabulously comfortable space. It had all the amenities that you could think of, including a fireplace, ceiling fan and AC for cooling, a few comfy sitting areas, and a nicely decorated bathroom with the comforts of home (shower gels, dryer).

Lois was a great host as we unfortunately missed Tom on this visit. Her breakfasts were not short on food and deliciousness. She is very friendly and I enjoyed our conversations during breakfast. She also had good advice on things to do in Traverse City as we headed there for the National Cherry Festival. Very helpful, couldn't have asked of anything more from her.

Downstairs housed a pool table, TV, and other things to keep you busy if you are looking to just stay on the complex. There was a lot of room around to roam and just enjoy nature.

Last but most certainly not least, Gorton House is right off of Wolf Lake in Lewiston, and it was a fitting way to end our stay. The B&B has canoes, life vest, and other water equipment to insure a fun time on the water. We tried the canoes, fell in the water, but that didn't ruin our day.

If I had any minuses, it would be the WIFI is not really very strong, but then again, I didn't feel like I needed to check my email too often. The whole reason for our getaway was to actually getaway from the real world for a few days. This inn put Lewiston on the map for us, and we are going to try to get up there in the future!

Room Tip: Every room is quiet as is are the surroundings.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dionne L
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband and I were in Lewiston and had planned on spending one night at this B and B and then going on to a ski resort. Almost as soon as we walked in and met Tom and saw the place we were making plans to cancel the resort and stay the weekend. Lois and Tom were very friendly and pretty soon "make yourself at home" felt just like that. Even in the winter the view of the lake was beautiful and it must be gorgeous in the summer. My husband and I have very hectic jobs and this is the most relaxed we have been in a long time, and the breakfast each day was superb with baked muffins or bread, fruit and on the Sunday we stayed there an out of this world soufle with pancetta and prosciutto on top. We also loved the welcoming chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nannyk
Alpena, Michigan
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was our first time visiting a Bed & Breakfast, Lois & Tom are wonderful folks and they made us feel as though we were at home. Our room was beautiful, the whole Inn was out of this world amazing, the view of the lake was breath taking. We had a great time and recommend the Gorton House Bed & Breakfast to our friends and families!! Our stay was way beyond what we expected and our breakfast the next morning was fabulous! Oh, and don't forget to try the chocolate chip cookies..mouth watering good! My husband and I are definitely going back again. Thank you Lois & Tom for such a remarkable weekend! The Matney's

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Gorton House is a hidden jewel. Awaking to the serene lake view and a cool breeze was enough to lower my blood pressure and make me settle in for a wonderful stay. It is hard to imagine a place so tranquil and perfectly appointed in every way. The hospitality was spectacular. The food was excellent. Everything was clean and inviting. We felt at home for our little get away. Thanks so much! We will definitely return!
Larry and Debbie

Room Tip: We loved the "Gilded Lady"!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovetraveling123276
LewistonKeyWest, Owner at Gorton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Thank you for the lovely words. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again. The Gortons

Been to Gorton House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!