“Golf !, Relax ?, Enjoy ?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our weekend getaway was for a birthday celebration. I'll start off with all the positives, and there are many. Your first impression from the front gates to the lobby is spectacular! Second to none. Upon entering the lobby what struck me was the natual wood decore (very northen Michigan) and how clean the facility is. I noticed the cleaniless of this resort all weekend. Everything from the washrooms, to hotel room, the courses, pro shop, restaurants...CLEAN! This they do right. The landscaping is pristine! This they do right.

The staff is very friendly and will always try to help you....but it is very noticable that they are stressed. Some at the reception desk are not trained properly, or under strick guidlines that make no sense. Two days prior to our arrival, we were informed that the room we rented was not available...ok...so we were going to be given something comparable...ok. Only, that is not what occured. There are many different accomodation options at this reort which is great, but they all offer a different kind of experience, I'm not sure that the management understands this. So after a few hours, we were given rooms at the main lodge. The rooms were beatuitful...but it was not the trip we had expected. We had asked for kitchen facilities, but that was not available, so the food we brought, was unused. Oh well....no problem.

The problem is the management made no offer to accomodate us while we waited for our new rooms. Our Champagne and cheese that we had pre ordered was sitting in a room we didn;t want, while we waited at the oudoor bar drinking beer and eating nachos. When we mentiond this a checkout, the manager's question to us was...was there something wrong with the cheese? Oh my!

The golf courses are great. They are both scenic and challenging, and are in great condition. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. The only problem we had was on day 1 we were behind a tournament and the round was 6.25 hours long. My husband and I missed our massage appointments, it made us late for our dinner reservation....the domino effect kicked in. The staff at the spa, again they were great.

Overall, I think Garland is a beautiful place that has a lot going for it. The pluses out weigh the minuses....but the management needs to get it together before its too late. I actually feel sorry for the staff. We may give Garland another try only because of the courses, the cleanliness, the beauty, and the friendly staff!

Room Tip: There are many options for accomodations. Depending on the type of vacation you want, check the webs...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank snowbas
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you very much for the review. I am sure your review will be helpful to other readers.
During your stay you brought your disappointment of your cheese tray to the attention of our Operations Director he was happy to be sure you were not charged for it. I am very pleased that we could resolve this concern for you. We hope that on your next stay you request the unit type and location that will fit your needs, especially now that you better understand the unit types that our resort has to offer. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

First let me start out by saying that the course is in excellent condition as usual. The grounds were very
well maintained. The staff at the pro shop was outstanding, always willing to accomodate your tee times. The staff in the bar and restaurant were exceptionally pleasant. Those were the good reviews.

The front staff was not very pleasant. There was one particular young lady there (which I did not get a name) my mistake was very arrogant with inferior people skills.

We had no bath towels in the room, room service came in and just threw the beds together, no vaccum, didn't seem to much care about the appearance of the room for the guest.

We have been coming to Garland for either a weekend or a week for 15-18 years. Never had an
experience like this one. This has always been a top notch resort well above all others. I don't know
what this new managment is thinking other than they must want to go out of business. We were there
on a weekend and it was like a ghost town. In the past the parking lot, golf course, bar and restaurants were packed. Nothing to do in the evening as they have removed the stage and no entertainment.

Maybe managment should take a look at how the patrons are being treated as this was the place to golf & relax. Maybe Dave & Sue should return as they were a major draw and alot of money was being spent in the bar and the waitresses could actually be busy and earn a living.

The current staff that you have, which includes some of the people that have been there awhile don't have the same spark in their eyes and the pride they used to have to work at Garland.

Hey management, if you are trying to ruin this business that was once very flourishing, you are doing an excellent job. Maybe you should attend some kind of seminar on how to run a business that actually pleases people and wants them to return.. If not, it was nice to be there before you people came......

Room Tip: Dont try to specify a room number like you could in the past.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank fayeb b
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

We are sorry to hear you disappointed with your stay at Garland. We wish you had brought your concerns to the attention of the Directors during your stay, so we could have addressed them with you. Sometimes people find change difficult and do not see the positive. Our owner is very well educated in business and customer satisfaction. We hope on your next visit you have a positive experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

1st Garland is outstanding as a golf course. The staff were all so sweet and attentive. Now the management. Where do I start. One of the property managers would lurk around, never came up and introduced himself, never spoke. He would drive by,in his golf cart glare and make the circle then drive by and re pete. I spend 10 nights at Garland. I chose Garland Golf Resort to celebrate my 50th birthday. In prior years this was the place to be on the 4th of July. No longer true. Tree Tops Golf Resort is where all the fun moved to. Upon checking in the staff knew this was to be a vacation / celebration week for me. I would have hoped ( and I get this when I stay at other resorts) no one ever came up to me, called me nor left a note, to see if I was enjoying my stay, or to see if they could do anything to make my stay more enjoyable. Really surprised! I did speak to several staff members to share my concerns about my accommodations. ( my air conditioner in my villa was not working).since I was never asked! My stay was over the week of the 4th of July and I like to sleep either with the windows open or the air turned down rather cool. The fan would never stop running making it too noisy to open windows and the air conditioner would not blow cold air. On my last golf outing my tee time was bumped and hour later. The pro shop staff could not explain it. Restaurant left much to be desired. Breakfast was buffet only. I do not eat that much food! Most golfers don't eat that heavy either before they go out to golf. The coffee shop had Jimmy Dean pre made breakfast sandwiches. Not impressed! They also had a menu for specialties coffee's but none of the staff knew how to operate the machines. Prices on beverages changed daily, My husband and 2 other guest ordered the same brand beer from 3 different staff members and all were charged a different price ( and for those for you asking they were all guests and not resort members. No one could explain this either. The area was so pretty I even looked a few properties to purchase as a possible vacation property. Did I mention that I picked Garland to celebrate my birthday, I passed up Italy, Wont make this mistake again!! I work in the financial industry were excellent customer service is expected. Garland Golf Resort falls short I did over all enjoy my Golf games I play 5 days! I will not return.

Room Tip: talk to others that have stayed
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank flossiemcgehee
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Service was horrible. Will never go back.
Anyone looking to golf go to Tulleymore St.Ives.
We were a group of twenty golfers, spent close to $10,000 and were told we were not welcome back.
It seems that they go out of there way not to accommodate you.
Never seen anything like it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank 2wheel33

There is no reason for us to itemize and embarrass you with the reasons you and your group were asked to leave and told you would not be welcomed back, it stands to reason that you would make the statement you "will never go back".

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Beautiful courses, fantastic food, great choice of accommodations. Pick from hotel style, cottage, villaor log cabin. Nearby beach if you don't want to swim in the pool. Lots of fishing in the area, hiking, biking etc. Golf of course is my favorite though. The grounds are immaculate. Didn't try the spa.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of golf stay in a french villa. The cottages are on the course too but the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mariejume
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for the very nice review. It's great to hear you love the resort mariejume. We agree the area offers many activities to enjoy.
We hope on your next visit you will have an opportunity to try our spa. Come stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We just got back from a weekend at Garland and as a whole I'd say we were pretty disappointed. To begin, as others before have stated, we originally were excited about Fountains course and of course in the end could not play it. After meeting an awesome member resort we were told by the pro shop and the member that we would be able to play Fountains and we set up a tee time for the next morning. The member met our group at the first tee and after seeing our first two groups tee off he excused himself and left because of other business. As soon as he left the starter very rudely told us that we would now have to leave and go play a different course that they had set a tee time up for us.....we couldn't believe they would do this, our first group was half way through the second hole and our third group was set to tee off on the first???? There were practically no other golfers around and certainly no one waiting to play behind us. Very ridiculous. The cottages we stayed in were average at best. The appliances were twenty years old and the furniture was about the same. Unfortunately they charge the same amount for each cottage even though some have all brand new things and marble counter tops. Courses were very nice, good shape and very picturesque, although looking at their green fees there's no way I'd pay $100 to play any of them. Over the whole processing of booking, arriving and golfing our entire group got a feeling we were sort of a "second rate" client. Not sure if the new "membership situation" has anything to do with it but during the whole process there wasn't a single occasion that made us feel our $6000+ contribution over three days was something they really appreciated. All in all a fairly nice facility but not worth my money again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank redfire155021

Since you were part of the group that the reviewer before you was with our comment to your review is the same as to his review.
Garland, like most resorts, has rules and policies in place to ensure all guests are able to enjoy themself. As a benefit for our members Fountains golf course has been designated as a private members only course. Our groups and members have been notified of this. Garland does not condone the "rent a member" sort of thing you describing in your ability to play our members only course. Members must be with their guest to play our members only course. After the authorities were called and we had your group removed from the property for non-golf course issues, I can imagine that your view of our most wonderful resort would not be a friendly one.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Garland advertises 4 courses yet you can only play 3 as the "Fountains" course is for members only. Well we met a member during our stay and he offered to take our group out. He teed off with us but then left to go to the clinic for an ear infection. By the time our group reached the 3rd hole, the ranger came and kicked us off because the member wasn't present. Courses are mediocre at best and the service we experienced there was aweful! Our group will never return to this resort and would recommend other steer clear. Michigan has so many nicer resorts to pick from that treat their customers right!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jdevlin02

Garland, like most resorts, has rules and policies in place to ensure all guests are able to enjoy themself. As a benefit for our members Fountains golf course has been designated as a private members only course. Our groups and members have been notified of this. Garland does not condone the "rent a member" sort of thing you describing in your ability to play our members only course. Members must be with their guest to play our members only course.Since the authorities were called and we had your group removed from the property for non-golf course issues, I can imagine that your view of our most wonderful resort would not be a friendly one. I am sorry you were unable to benefit from breaking the rules.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gaylord
Treetops Resort
Treetops Resort
#5 of 15 in Gaylord
Gorton House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!