“Could improve a bit.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our family has stayed at the Garland during July for the past four years. The grounds are lovely. The golf courses well maintained, challenging and well managed. The dining experience has improved the last two years. We always stay in a log cabin style cottage. Rooms could use some updating. Carpeting a bit worn, remove the artificial plants and improve housekeeping. Our room was not vacuumed during our entire three day stay. Since our goal is to relax, enjoy a golf experience and visit family in the area we do not want to have to be inconvenienced with having to notify management about room issues. The rooms should also mirror the beauty and elegance of the rest of the resort.

4  Thank Alice W
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for the review Alice. If you had brought your housekeeping concerns to any staff member they would have involved a manager, and Director if needed, to assure your concerns were addressed and you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Our managing owner has put much into improvements within our resort since he acquired the resort. Some units have been recently updated, we receive many compliments on these units, and some of our units are slated for updates in the future. I hope on your next stay with us you request an updated unit and please bring any concerns you have during your stay to the attention of management so your concern could be addressed at that time. We look forward to seeing you in the 2014 season.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Recently just spent a long weekend in August with 10 buddies on golf trip. We played 5 rounds of golf. 2 on Swampfire, 2 on Reflections, and 1 on Monarch. All courses were in great shape and each offered a different type of layout. The staff at the proshop, in the restaurants and at the front desk were all great. Kara and Alex did an excellent job on the beverage cart. Heading into the trip we though we were in the golf cottages, but turned out we were in the golf villas. These had BBQ's and a min fridge but not full kitchens like we thought we had. No big deal as all the stuff we picked up at the Grocery Store was for BBQ anyway. I don't think this was at any fault of the resort, we were just under the wrong impression as to whether we were in the cottages or villas. The breakfast buffet was excellent each morning. A little concerned heading into the trip at some of the negative reviews but the golf at Garland was excellent, the resort was great, and the service was top notch. I would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

It’s very up lifting to read a review like this. Thank you Matt.
Our resort does offer several different room types. I understand that some of our guests look forward to a full kitchen in their unit, I’m glad that our villas with grills worked out for the best for your group. We can’t wait to see you and your group again in 2014.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My 2 brothers & son stayed in one of the golf cottages a week ago. We had been to Garland for 15 years straight until a couple years ago. We decided to start our annual trip back up again. After I booked the trip my brothers got a little nervous because of some of the reviews they had seen and were worried the change in ownership had resulted in a deterioration of services. Well I am gladIdid not listen to them. The trip ways great and the courses wherein great condition. We had a slight problem with the deck lights, reported it and they were fixed immediately. I travel a lot and have found management wants to know of issues. You cannot improve what you do not know.

We got there early, easily moved up our tee time and our cottage was ready early. No muss, no fuss.

As we left my brothers said to me to make sure we book it again for next year. Not sure at our age we will make it another 15 years in a row, but we will try.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Patrick, It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Garland. We look forward to seeing you and your family back at Garland very soon. Please continue to bring to the management’s attention any concerns you have. Enjoy your fall and winter. Thank you for leaving a positive review for others to see.

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Lodge and played two of the four golf courses on site (Monarch and Reflections). Others in our party stayed in the golf cabins which are quite a distance away. The courses are challenging and well maintained. One thing we learned about the Fountains course is that it is reserved for members only. Our room in the Lodge was comfortable with a jacuzzi, fireplace and patio. It would have been nice to have had a refrigerator. The food in the restaurants was good and surprisingly reasonably priced. Best of all, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013

snowbas, Our staff will appreciate hearing/seeing your review. Our resort offers a range of accommodations, from (as you know) cottages to villas and lodge rooms. Our menu and pricing was updated this year, we are pleased that you were happy. Maybe your next visit you can enjoy our coffee shop too. We hope to see you in the 2014 season or sooner.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our weekend getaway was for a birthday celebration. I'll start off with all the positives, and there are many. Your first impression from the front gates to the lobby is spectacular! Second to none. Upon entering the lobby what struck me was the natual wood decore (very northen Michigan) and how clean the facility is. I noticed the cleaniless of this resort all weekend. Everything from the washrooms, to hotel room, the courses, pro shop, restaurants...CLEAN! This they do right. The landscaping is pristine! This they do right.

The staff is very friendly and will always try to help you....but it is very noticable that they are stressed. Some at the reception desk are not trained properly, or under strick guidlines that make no sense. Two days prior to our arrival, we were informed that the room we rented was not available...ok...so we were going to be given something comparable...ok. Only, that is not what occured. There are many different accomodation options at this reort which is great, but they all offer a different kind of experience, I'm not sure that the management understands this. So after a few hours, we were given rooms at the main lodge. The rooms were beatuitful...but it was not the trip we had expected. We had asked for kitchen facilities, but that was not available, so the food we brought, was unused. Oh well....no problem.

The problem is the management made no offer to accomodate us while we waited for our new rooms. Our Champagne and cheese that we had pre ordered was sitting in a room we didn;t want, while we waited at the oudoor bar drinking beer and eating nachos. When we mentiond this a checkout, the manager's question to us was...was there something wrong with the cheese? Oh my!

The golf courses are great. They are both scenic and challenging, and are in great condition. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. The only problem we had was on day 1 we were behind a tournament and the round was 6.25 hours long. My husband and I missed our massage appointments, it made us late for our dinner reservation....the domino effect kicked in. The staff at the spa, again they were great.

Overall, I think Garland is a beautiful place that has a lot going for it. The pluses out weigh the minuses....but the management needs to get it together before its too late. I actually feel sorry for the staff. We may give Garland another try only because of the courses, the cleanliness, the beauty, and the friendly staff!

Room Tip: There are many options for accomodations. Depending on the type of vacation you want, check the webs...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank snowbas

Thank you very much for the review. I am sure your review will be helpful to other readers.
During your stay you brought your disappointment of your cheese tray to the attention of our Operations Director he was happy to be sure you were not charged for it. I am very pleased that we could resolve this concern for you. We hope that on your next stay you request the unit type and location that will fit your needs, especially now that you better understand the unit types that our resort has to offer. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

First let me start out by saying that the course is in excellent condition as usual. The grounds were very
well maintained. The staff at the pro shop was outstanding, always willing to accomodate your tee times. The staff in the bar and restaurant were exceptionally pleasant. Those were the good reviews.

The front staff was not very pleasant. There was one particular young lady there (which I did not get a name) my mistake was very arrogant with inferior people skills.

We had no bath towels in the room, room service came in and just threw the beds together, no vaccum, didn't seem to much care about the appearance of the room for the guest.

We have been coming to Garland for either a weekend or a week for 15-18 years. Never had an
experience like this one. This has always been a top notch resort well above all others. I don't know
what this new managment is thinking other than they must want to go out of business. We were there
on a weekend and it was like a ghost town. In the past the parking lot, golf course, bar and restaurants were packed. Nothing to do in the evening as they have removed the stage and no entertainment.

Maybe managment should take a look at how the patrons are being treated as this was the place to golf & relax. Maybe Dave & Sue should return as they were a major draw and alot of money was being spent in the bar and the waitresses could actually be busy and earn a living.

The current staff that you have, which includes some of the people that have been there awhile don't have the same spark in their eyes and the pride they used to have to work at Garland.

Hey management, if you are trying to ruin this business that was once very flourishing, you are doing an excellent job. Maybe you should attend some kind of seminar on how to run a business that actually pleases people and wants them to return.. If not, it was nice to be there before you people came......

Room Tip: Dont try to specify a room number like you could in the past.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank fayeb b
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

We are sorry to hear you disappointed with your stay at Garland. We wish you had brought your concerns to the attention of the Directors during your stay, so we could have addressed them with you. Sometimes people find change difficult and do not see the positive. Our owner is very well educated in business and customer satisfaction. We hope on your next visit you have a positive experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

1st Garland is outstanding as a golf course. The staff were all so sweet and attentive. Now the management. Where do I start. One of the property managers would lurk around, never came up and introduced himself, never spoke. He would drive by,in his golf cart glare and make the circle then drive by and re pete. I spend 10 nights at Garland. I chose Garland Golf Resort to celebrate my 50th birthday. In prior years this was the place to be on the 4th of July. No longer true. Tree Tops Golf Resort is where all the fun moved to. Upon checking in the staff knew this was to be a vacation / celebration week for me. I would have hoped ( and I get this when I stay at other resorts) no one ever came up to me, called me nor left a note, to see if I was enjoying my stay, or to see if they could do anything to make my stay more enjoyable. Really surprised! I did speak to several staff members to share my concerns about my accommodations. ( my air conditioner in my villa was not working).since I was never asked! My stay was over the week of the 4th of July and I like to sleep either with the windows open or the air turned down rather cool. The fan would never stop running making it too noisy to open windows and the air conditioner would not blow cold air. On my last golf outing my tee time was bumped and hour later. The pro shop staff could not explain it. Restaurant left much to be desired. Breakfast was buffet only. I do not eat that much food! Most golfers don't eat that heavy either before they go out to golf. The coffee shop had Jimmy Dean pre made breakfast sandwiches. Not impressed! They also had a menu for specialties coffee's but none of the staff knew how to operate the machines. Prices on beverages changed daily, My husband and 2 other guest ordered the same brand beer from 3 different staff members and all were charged a different price ( and for those for you asking they were all guests and not resort members. No one could explain this either. The area was so pretty I even looked a few properties to purchase as a possible vacation property. Did I mention that I picked Garland to celebrate my birthday, I passed up Italy, Wont make this mistake again!! I work in the financial industry were excellent customer service is expected. Garland Golf Resort falls short I did over all enjoy my Golf games I play 5 days! I will not return.

Room Tip: talk to others that have stayed
9  Thank flossiemcgehee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gaylord
Treetops Resort
Treetops Resort
#5 of 15 in Gaylord
Waters Inn
Waters Inn
#2 of 15 in Gaylord
Gorton House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!