“Yearly golf outing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garland Lodge & Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Whitehall, Michigan
“Yearly golf outing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

What I saw was disappointing! What happened to all the smiling familiar faces? Many of the employees I got to know or recognize are gone, along with all the golfers who use to come enjoy the beautiful golf courses. I have never seen so few golfers at Garland in my ten years of coming here. I guess making the fountains course members only makes the resort more like any other resort, just three courses to play (a great advantage to take away from golfers). Or was it not having Jeff & Sue for entertainment? Oh, probably both. The question; is there really anybody managing this fine property or do we have to go elsewhere?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Joe C
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
With many seasonal resorts, such as Garland there can be different staff members from year to year, and each season we have wonderful smiling faces to greet and respond to our guests. As a benefit for our members Fountains golf course has been designated as a private members only course. Our groups and members have been notified of this. Our managing owner has put much into improvements within our resort since he acquired the resort. Some units have been recently updated, we receive many compliments on these units, and some of our units are slated for updates in the future. Perhaps when you refer to our Spa you actually mean something else, our Spa is in full working condition. The staff in the Garland Spa is happy to assist all guests in making an enjoyable experience. If you have further concerns please contact the Operations Director to discuss your concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Saint Johns, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We had a business meeting booked there. One problem we had there was we had booked three cabins together 2 out of 3 were together made the meeting difficult. The golf was very nice had an awesome time and the food was good on the turn. Cabins were very clean although the beds were like old spring beds not very comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian C
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for the review Brian. Due to the fact that our Golf Cottages are privately owned and not all units are in the Garland rental program, Garland cannot always accommodate a request to have units next to each other.
Please contact the sales department for your 2014 stay and ask about renting a meeting space.
We look forward to seeing you in 2014.
Tecumseh, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Unfortunately I cannot recommend anyone book golf trips at this resort. In the fall of 2013 I booked a group of golfers (18) with lodging. For booking this group, I received a letter stating I was entitled to one nights free lodging with golf for two in the future.

When I attempted to use this "offer", it took about 10 phone calls and faxing the original letter to "see if they would honor this". Excuse me?!?!?!? This was something THEY offered ME.

After numerous phone calls and faxes, I was told they would be honoring the free nights lodging and was given a new offer code to use.

I've just made the reservation to use this. After apx. 5 minutes I received a phone call stating if I did not bring the original voided letter, they would not honor the complimentary night. I asked if they had a copy of the original letter they mailed to me and/or any of the 5 faxes of said letter sent back to them - by myself - at their request. I was informed indeed they had copies of the letter, but alas.....they wanted yet another copy, hand carried by myself at check-in.

I have a copy ready for them and know exactly where they should file it........

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Jennifer T
It’s unfortunate that you did not ask to speak with a Director during your gift card verification process.

If you would like to speak with a Director about your concerns please call 989-786-2211 and ask to speak with the Operations Director.
Troy, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I was locked out of my condo for 3 hours. They blamed me, despite the fact that their own engineer could not open the door! Rude people with 0 service, The next day I complained and the manager, Gordon, threatened to call the police against me! Do not go to Garland, they are the worst ever! Go to Boyne.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Stephen D
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Steve, when engineering arrived at your golf cottage they found the door was manually dead bolted from the inside. The engineer went back to the shop to retrieve the dead bolt over ride and attempted to contact the rest of your party in your cottage to see if there was an issue. Our attempts to address this issue with you when you came to the front desk only seemed to irritate you, the more we tried to discuss the issue the more agitated you became. In reviewing the surveillance tapes our Director of Operations, Gordon did not threaten to call the police, he only asked that you leave the property.
Guelph, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

What a disaster. We booked 10 months in advanced paid our deposit and found out just before we were leaving that we no longer had our cabins. We spoke to management and they refused to make things right. I can not understand how someone can run a business like this. Very unprofessional and I have heard from other friends who went that they are overloading the courses this year and rounds are taking 6 hours or more. I highly suggest Boyne over Garland.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank Peter_W_L2013
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Peter,
As you will see in our response to Adam_W (the leader of your group) on August 16th. We offered a variety of upgraded room options to accommodate your group. Which were all refused by him. As for your comments on our pace of play, we maintain a four and one half hour (4 ½ ) average pace of play, never six hours.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Our group has been going to Garland for 12 years. The reservationist inadvertantly cancelled one of our villas and our group had to split up. I asked Paul, the manager of reservations, to help and there was no accomodation. The front desk staff are unhelpful, rude and act as if they are doing you favor instead of performing great customer service. Their computer system wasn't working properly and I stood at the front desk for 1/2 hour waiting to get my room key. Finally I insisted they not make their problem my problem and let me get settled in to my room. All the other staff were great.
Our group is reconsidering for next year, not the best value for $.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank AW1968
Brenda F, Hotel Director at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
It’s unfortunate that you didn’t ask to speak to a Director during your stay so we could attempt to resolve any concerns you may have had. If you would like to speak with a Director about any concerns you may have had during your recent stay please call Garland at (989) 786-2211
Milton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We are a group of 8, we went in September 2012 and had a good time, we rebooked and paid our $800 deposit in November of the same year. Without notice and without making us aware they canceled our trip and kept the deposit. We found out about 1 month before our trip because we called to book an extra day and they let us know at that point that it was canceled. They told us they were booked and that there was not much they could do to accomodate, this is despite booking 10 months in advace and booking holiday time around it. If you are brave enough to book at Garland be sure to call every month to make sure that your reservation is still being held.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
20 Thank Adam Adam W
Adam, your statements are not entirely accurate. There was a mistake on our part in canceling your reservation. We did offer you SEVERAL other room options which you informed us that your group is very rowdy (you mentioned your group likes to smoke and drink and can get rather loud) and needed more seclusion then we are offering you. We also REFUNDED ALL of your deposit as soon as we notified you of our mistake and as soon as you declined to take advantage of the other room types we offered you. We sincerely apologized then and now. Your use of profanity in expressing your disappointment of our mistake was not appropriate and not received well.
Again, we do have other room types that your small group would enjoy if you would like to reconsider and contact us to book for the same time frame.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Hampton Inn Gaylord
Holiday Inn Express Gaylord
Treetops Resort
Treetops Resort
#5 of 13 in Gaylord

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!