“Still good but used to be better”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewiston
Garland Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have a group of 16 guys that has been going to Garland for 10 plus years. The accomodations have always been excellent with friendly and helpful staff. The golf courses provide a great challenge and are beautiful and well maintained. We go back every year because of the beautiful courses, very reasonable package prices (we stayed 4 nights and had 7 rounds of golf for a total package price of $695 - yes, both golf and lodging included), outstanding scenery and fantastic temperatures(we again had mid 70's and sunny for our entire stay).

The reason I say that it used to be better is that ownership of Garland changed hands perhaps 5 years ago. We have noticed a number of changes since the ownership change. None of them good. For starters, the place used to have good crowds. Crowded but not overly so. We have noticed the last couple years that the crowds have been in decline. We used to go in after an afternoon round and there were numerous groups sitting outside or inside at the bar enjoying food and beverage. On this trip like last year it has not been uncommon to be about the only group either outside or inside. Garland used to have live entertainment in the bar at night and the place was hopping. Not anymore. Also, outside they had a little outside cabana we referred to as the 'Tiki Bar'. This was part of the outside seating area that our group used to sit around having beers, etc. often until 10-12pm at night. This year they moved the cabana bar about 50 yards off the main outdoor seating area. And to boot it now closes at 5pm. Really!?!?!? That was one of our favorite places to hang out after a round of golf. We were told it was moved because it was competing with inside bar in the evening. What?!?!? All going to the same pot isn't it.. Doesn't it make sense to give the customer what they want?

Another change is that they used to have 4 golf courses located on the resort grounds available to guests. A few years ago the closed one of the courses, Fountains, to public play. It is now only open to members. This was probably the favorite course of guys in the group. So, another aggravation. Don't think in the last 2 years I have ever even seen anyone teeing up at the first tee of Fountains. Was it really necessary to close to the public??? How about keep it open to members only in the morning then open it to public in the afternoon or some similar compromise?

The resort also now 'controls' the ability to bring in your own alcohol even to your own room. You are not supposed to do it. Obviously people still will. However, it is just one of the new rules which is unnecessary and aggravating.

The owner is Chicago area based. There have been 4 resort managers in the last 5 years according to one un named employee. We talked to several employees as well as locals in Lewiston (if you go you have to go to Tally's. Probably the best burgers I have ever had. This is echoed by most in my group). They all generally are frustrated with the new ownership of the resort it seems. They are frustrated that crowds and business are down.

We all like Garland and intend to return because we like the golf courses, the resort, the service staff and the weather.

Suggestions to the owner who we wonder how he keeps the place open: listen to your customers. Why not actively seek input from your guests. Believe me, they have a lot of them. Also, perhaps you should advertise. The owner is from Chicago and yet I have never seen an ad for the resort. I am not suggesting you go back to the way things were. Perhaps some changes were necessary but changes made haven't resulted in increased business. Maybe time to assess why.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mpx4Glenview_IL
NMTrav, Director of Sales at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for the detailed feedback on your experience with us. Your group is greatly appreciated and we enjoy hosting the event every year. You are indeed correct that we have changed our Fountains course to a private course as a benefit for our membership. We have added an option for seasonal membership though which we might be able to discuss with your group for the 2015 outing. You mentioned in your feedback that the resort does not allow you to bring personal alcohol into your room but this is actually not a policy that we have. Guests are welcome to enjoy their own alcoholic beverages in their guestrooms at any time. Legally we are not able to allow anyone to drink their own alcohol in public areas as it would be a violation of our liquor license, just as it would be at any other resort property. We have shared your comments throughout our management team to help with future planning. Thank you again for your time and continued support.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We joined a group of 20 couples to play a three day get-a-way on these legendary courses. The courses lived up to their billing but the management of the resort constantly tripped up our good time.
I do so wish that they would get their act together as the physical plant is spectacular and the golf great.

Please make this place work, it can be great again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MichaelSherman
Aaron G, Director of Sales at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Michael,

Thank you for staying with us during the couples outing this past week. We apologize for any inconveniences that negatively impacted your stay with us as we truly do want to ensure that all our guests enjoy their time at Garland. Unfortunately, as you were probably made aware, we did suffer a break in the water main to our lodge on your day of arrival forcing us to shut down our kitchen, main bar area, conference center, and a block of guestrooms for the week. We did create a buffet restaurant and a bar area out of our separate banquet hall, The Great Room, to help accommodate food and beverage needs but the space did have limitations. I’m not mentioning the water main issue as an excuse; I simply want to explain that we were facing unusual circumstances that unfortunately arose during your group’s outing. If possible could you please contact me at aaron.gentry@garlandusa.com or 989-786-1481 along with our General Manager at john.hatzl@garlandusa.com or 989-786-1411 to elaborate on your concerns so we can address them for the future? We appreciate your feedback and hope to have a chance to host you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Although we don't golf, we decided to stay at Garland for the first time from 7/11-7/15/14 for our wedding anniversary with our 2 year old. Everything was great, and we will definitely stay again in the future!
The 2 pools were wonderful, the staff were all very nice and helpful, everything was clean and updated, and the food and drinks were fantastic. We were even very pleased with the size of our room and the free breakfast buffet that we enjoyed each morning.
Our only suggestion would be to add wifi to the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Crystal48184
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I ATTEMPTED to check in on the evening of the July 3rd for one night, I had called and a room was being held. I spent over 30 minutes trying to get checked in. The ladies at the desk were more concerned with the phone and everything else. I was the ONLY person at the desk. I was passed back and forth no less than 5 times and eventually had to leave. The ladies kept thanking me for my patience but enough was enough. I have been in customer service for years and you need to take care of the customer in front of you. I thought getting checked in would be something a hotel should have perfected, I guess not in this case.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Dan O
John H, Manager at Garland Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Please accept my sincere apologies for the treatment that you received when you tried to check in on July 3rd . A thirty minute delay is unacceptable. Our guest’s satisfaction is paramount to our success. I will be sharing your experience with our staff, to ensure that this does not occur again. I would like to speak to you further about your experience. I can be reached at 989-786-1411 or via email (john.hatzl@garlandusa.com) . Thank you

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just returned from three days of golf at the resort. The resort grounds and golf courses are in fantastic shape. It appears the new owners have done a great job of prioritizing and are clearly focused and making a great effort in the right places. The main floor of the lodge and pool/hot tub/sauna area were spotless as well. The room was a little dated but extremely clean. Give them a chance, with the condition of the resort and courses you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stormand
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I travel to Garland multiple times per summer and our recent stay was excellent. We look forward to two more trips this summer. The staff is very friendly, the facilities are excellent, and the courses are in excellent condition. We have stayed at many resorts in northern Michigan however all things considered we are most pleased to spend our time and money at Garland.
June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jdf3092
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have now stayed in the smallest hotel room ever! That being said, it was the only negative of the trip. We weren't there for the room, we were there for the golf so we didn't spend very much time in there anyway. The room was adequate for me and my husband but certainly no frills. We gathered from some of the other reviews that the main lodge rooms had recently been updated, the one we stayed in wasn't exactly undated but it was ok. I will say, the window faced the east and the shade was ill fitting so the morning sun was brutal. It was clean and we had a nice view of the back of the property where the trees were in bloom. We stayed there on the May golf special package.. A room, round and breakfast for $99. There was a very nice fitness room, lap pool and hot tub indoors on the lower level, I wish we would have had time to use. Breakfast consisted of a very nice buffet with all the usual breakfast items. You won't leave hungry. The golf was spectacular. We played Swampfire and Reflections. My husband and I are at very different skill levels and we both found the courses fun and challenging from different tees. They have club storage available which is very convenient. There is a very nice restaurant and a comfortable bar with a limited menu. Off the bar is a great patio with an outdoor fireplace and lots of seating. Just off the patio is a practice green (so before you store you clubs for the night, grab your putter and maybe go out there after dinner for something to do). The staff was very professional and accommodating. This location is definitely on our list of places we will come back to although, the next time we book a stay I will ask for a bigger room with a properly fitting shade..and maybe a balcony. Also, it's the north woods, bring your bug spray! I always keep a can in my golf bag but if we would have found ourselves without, I seriously would have traded any club in my bag for a can of Deep Woods Off.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jmrockow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewiston
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gaylord
Treetops Resort
Treetops Resort
#5 of 15 in Gaylord
Waters Inn
Waters Inn
#2 of 15 in Gaylord
Gorton House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Garland Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!