“Consistently excellent!”

Detroit Marriott Livonia
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times on business and the way I describe it, is "consistently excellent". Service, quality of the property, outstanding dining at Sweet Lorraine's, and a great location connected to the mall. I stay at this property because I want to, not because I have to. It's really got a lot going for it. By the way, it's got super easy access to all the main highways in Metro Detroit and pretty close to Ann Arbor and even Lansing is just about 50 minutes away. The thing I take away from my stays there are the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff and the great food selections from that restaurant. It's everything Marriotts should be!

Room Tip: I have stayed almost exclusively on the 6th floor Concierge's Level, but I have heard some compl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Senior TripAdvisor Contributor and Loyal guest;

On behalf of the staff of the Detroit Marriott Livonia, I would like to thank you for your considerate review. It is of great value to us that you recognize the importance of consistency and I am so pleased to hear you mention this trait. Our executive team meets every morning to discuss how we can exceed our guests expectations of which we share with each of our own team members and it is rewarding to hear our guests can rely on our consistency and reliability. I will be sure to share your thoughts with our team. Thank you, for your loyalty and support, but more importantly for providing your personal perspective.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights during a recent weekend when I was in the Detroit area for business. While you can find better hotels — the newly renovated Sheraton at Eight Mile and I-275 being an example — this hotel’s location is excellent for those out in the suburbs.

I have stayed here a few times over the years and this stay was more or less consistent with my previous experiences. This is a typical mid-level, suburban office park Marriott. I have stayed over 200 nights in hotels in the last 16 months and nothing about it stood out as memorable.

I would rate this hotel 3 ½ stars. For $85 to $100, especially if you are an elite-level Marriott Rewards guest with concierge lounge access, this is good-value hotel. I wouldn’t pay more than this though — and I certainly wouldn’t stay here if I didn’t have free internet and the concierge lounge access, which includes breakfast, coffee, soft drinks, a light evening dinner and desert. (If you stay at the weekend, when the concierge lounge is closed, you receive vouchers for the restaurant and bar.) One thing nice about this Marriott is its pool, hot tub and fitness facility, all of which were nicer than other similar Marriott hotels.

I received zero recognition upon check-in. I also didn’t receive the guaranteed benefits of Platinum Elite status. This was an issue the last time I stayed here — clearly it hasn’t been addressed, despite assurances post-stay from management. I wasn’t even welcomed as “Mr. So and So,” which all guests, regardless of elite status or no elite status, should receive.

The room was a basic, no-frills king room. There was one bottle of complimentary water despite the fact I was staying with my partner. No bathrobes or slippers were provided, which is unusual because most Marriott hotels provide this in rooms on the concierge floor.

The television channel selection is a bit limited and the quality of the picture is poor on many channels. It’s time for a TV upgrade as well as improvements to the service reception. Also, the TV in my room was on the far side, making it difficult to watch from bed as I had to turnover to see the screen. My partner couldn’t see the TV at all from the far side of the bed.

There was a sofa in the room, which I’m told was a rollout bed. However, there really was not enough room between the foot of the king bed and the sofa to actually use this.

I requested extra towels and pillows in my reservation. Neither request was fulfilled.

The hotel underwent renovations within the last two years, but several pieces of in-room furniture showed a lack of preventive care and maintenance, as there were clearly visible scratches and dings that had not been fixed. In addition, the inside of the white bathroom door, just above the door handle, had a brown stain about the size of a quarter. To me, it looked like a previous guest didn’t wash their hands after using the toilet — if you know what I mean. This is poor housekeeping. It is clearly visible. Clean it. The same for a couple pieces of body hair that were on the white walls around the shower. I encountered this problem here before — it is another poor reflection of housekeeping, although, regretfully, this is common at all too many hotels these days.

The restaurant is fine, especially if you are staying on the weekend and have vouchers because of the closed concierge lounge. My biggest complaint was the lack of an espresso machine in the restaurant. I do not understand how an international chain hotel does not have an espresso machine for restaurant guests. (I couldn’t find a real Starbucks coffeehouse nearby, despite there being an attached shopping mall.) Breakfast was fine, although you will save money by ordering off the menu if you just want lighter fayre such as oatmeal or yogurt with granola. The buffet is only worth it if you do not want to wait for food or want a larger, multi-course breakfast. My only other complaint was the lack of honey — there was none, until I asked — and the lack of real fruit preserves or jam. The only fruit preserves served were the cheap Smuckers basics next to the ketchup bottle at the back of your table. To me, this is not what I would expect at a hotel, especially a Marriott restaurant. Big Boy, yes. Marriott, no.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank planetraincar
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Top Reviewer ~ thank you for very detailed assessment of our hotel. We will be sure to, as a team, review all your comments and suggestions.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nice, clean and comfortable hotel - the beds are amazing...you won't want to get up and out of them in the morning. Good location adjacent to shopping and restaurants, and convenient to the expressway.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest ~ thank you kindly for providing a brief but thoughtful review of our hotel noting those features and characteristics that are specific to our hotel such as our comfortable mattress/bedding and clean environment. We greatly appreciate your insight into your stay especially as your comments relate to those features/services which fall within our role. We do continually review all guest comments whether through TripAdvisor and/or brand sites and will often make changes to meet guests needs even if over and above Marriott standards (its why we offer refridgerators and free wifi in ALL guestrooms). Thank you for your honest assessment.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The rooms were excellent, service was very professional. Very friendly staff. Very good value. Will stay here again. The Hotel Resturant serves a great Breakfast Buffett. Full Room Service Menu. Very spacious Bathroom/adjoining dressing area.

Room Tip: Rooms with Double Beds are a bit larger. All rooms have Mini Fridge
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Grand Rapids Guest ~ thank you kindly for taking the time to put your personal impression of our hotel and services on the TripAdvisor site. Your positive review is very generous and we greatly appreciate your thoughtful review. We rely greatly on respected sites like TripAdvisor to help us meet and exceed all our guests expectations and a personal perspective opens the door to helping us achieve this goal. Our aim is to always make our guests feel at home and important. Please know we greatly value your loyalty and support and hope to have the honor of serving as your host hotel when in the area.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

In town for a wedding, front desk so rude to me mother ; they had no idea they were dealing with a family of a sophisticated traveler- call and verify your reservation / room preference - they honored not one detail of our reservation and we had to recheck in next morning for key reprogramming even after all their management performance errors! Nightmare - if you're having a wedding here put in all your contracts financial performance clauses and penalties - they overbooked wedding event areas for the same times -

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RoadWarrior3Decades
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest;

I am saddened to learn you were not satisfied with your stay. In reserving group blocks, I want to assure you, as the Director of Sales, that we do NOT overbook group blocks. This would not be fair to our guests or our associates. In addition and relation, we do try to honor all guest room type requests but as noted on our site when booking and standard to the industry, room types are not guaranteed. Please know that we do greatly value your thoughts and as a team continue to strive to do better; your insight has been shared with our executive team.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The staff is so nice, it's the design of the building and the guests that make it such a terrible place to stay. My husband and I booked here because there was rooms blocked for a wedding we were attending. So the location was convenient. It is connected to a really mediocre mall, but I guess that is ok too.

We had a room on the second floor. It was right above the atrium, so when people were partying at the bar downstairs it echoed up and into our room. It wasn't as bad when the AC was running, but still come on. After that the maid closed our hallway door to help drown out some of the noise, but then every time someone went to there room from 12am to 3 pm is shook the walls in the room. I kept going out and opening them. I saw the maid come and close them and explained that the slamming of the door was worse than the noise downstairs. I ended up having the trip refunded, but it was just ridiculous. Never stay in room 227. Its that bad that I even remember the room number!!!!

It maybe better on floors 5+, but make sure your not on the 1st 3 floors at all!!!!

Room Tip: stay on floors 5 and higher. The atrium is horribly loud
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Arica H
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Senior TripAdvisor Contributor;

Thank you for your fair assessment of our hotel, the Detroit Marriott Livonia. While although your review could be perceived as negative, it is important to note you were fair in your ranking (both service and location received a 5 of 5 stars, while value received a 2 of 5 stars). It is true, room 227 is in an awkward location and is always the last room we assign specifically because of the hall doors and overview of the guest lobby. We do have additional executive team on staff all weekend nights but in the case of your stay unfortunately we were not able to oversee this particular location of the hotel as often as we would have liked. I am pleased to hear our front desk team reacted properly in reimbursing your stay, as we did not provide you with a peaceful night stay. It is our hope that you know how very much we appreciate your honest review and hope you will consider giving us another try.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I traveled from Pittsburgh, PA to Livonia, MI for a dear friend's wedding (July 18-20th of 2014). I was in the wedding party, and they were offering group discounts for us to stay at the Detroit Marriott Livonia. I was emailed my total when I booked my stay earlier in the year. The total was $202 and some change. I had set aside money for the trip there (I am a college student, so I was nickel and diming everything). When my boyfriend and I arrived, and we checked in, they asked for my card and I gave it to them. The lady at the front desk told me my card was declined for $262. I told her the total I had received was $202. She rudely informed me of a SIXTY DOLLAR security deposit and said my card was declined and I needed another form of payment. I had to call my mother and she had to put it on to her credit card. Granted, the security deposit does get refunded in 3-5 days, but when I booked, I was not informed of it. I had set money in that specific account for this trip. After that fiasco, the woman also had me sign a waiver about their "No Party" policy. The policy stated if you are making excessive noise, you will get one warning. If you continue to be loud and obnoxious, you will be asked to leave (She also made a comment that it was important to us since we were visiting for a wedding, great way to discriminate, lady). Since we arrived the night before the wedding, my friend (the bride)'s husband had booked a suite room for her to stay in that night and for them to stay after the wedding. Myself and four other bridesmaids stayed with her in the room that night. When the bride took a shower that night, the bath tub was not draining, so we had to call maintenance. The woman from maintenance came up and unclogged the tub, and the whole room smelled of sewage for the rest of the night. When we went to sleep, there were people out in the hallway making noise. We gave them some time to calm down. Come midnight, they were still out in the hallway. The hallway reeked of booze, and they would not stop screaming. We politely asked them to be quiet and informed them we are in a wedding the next day and the bride needs her sleep. They continued to be loud and obnoxious. By 1 AM, we called security and they said they would take care of it. After the 1 AM call to security, they continued to be loud. We called security 3 TIMES AND visited the front desk. Needless to say, we had to be up at 7 AM for our hair appointments, and security didn't kick them out until 5 AM. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the way this was handled. They should have been ejected from the hotel after their first warning. A lot of the bride and groom's family stayed at the hotel and had nothing but issues with the staff. I will never stay at this hotel, let alone another Marriott, ever again. I had put in a complaint with their corporate line and all I received was an impersonal e-mail from the hotel manager apologizing that theirs, and my, standards were not met. I have never had such an awful customer service experience in my life.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
DBastianelli, Director of Sales at Detroit Marriott Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for providing us with insight into your stay. As an industry standard all guest charges upon arrival include an upcharge (usually $30-$50 per day) to accommodate for potential amenities (room service, movies) and are then reversed if not consumed. I do apologize that when you made your reservation through Marriott's reservation center they did not inform you of this. Additionalloy it is important to note that we do not profile guests and only pass out Party Policies to wedding guests but pass out to ALL weekend guests. I think you will agree it is a fair policy, and one you could understand as the night of your stay progressed, as to why we have in place. What is unfortunate is that we did not react quickly enough. Please know we do greatly value your loyalty but more importantly your thoughts and opinions and have reviewed your response with our executive team who in turn have shared with their team members.