“Very clean, great value”

Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Livonia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Simply put, im a bit of a hotel snob. I've stayed at some great places. Even though I was reluctant to stay here, it has been perfect for our weekend in town to visit family. Very convenient location, very clean, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. I will post pics in a few day, but you'll see an average looking room with everything you'll need for your stay. We are not using the pool area but looks good for kids. I would recommend and will definitely stay again when we are in from Cincinnati to visit family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear shannon1124,

Thank you for your great comments regarding our staff & hotel! We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am a bit surprised by some of the poor reviews as my stay was completely fine. I checked in around noon with no problem, the room was very clean and well decorated as were the common areas. The staff I interacted with were all professional and friendly.

We had the continental breakfast at the hotel for $5.95, which was pretty flimsy for what we paid but better than trying to find somewhere else.

I will agree that the layout can be confusing, and signage could be better.

Room Tip: There are rooms around the pool, I would avoid those since the area was a bit loud with kids in the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear irishred77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel and noticing how great are staff treats people. I will be sure to share your comments with them. We greatly appreciate your feedback.

Staff & Management at the Holiday Inn Livonia

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here during AAU JO. Rooms were clean with good service. My team enjoyed the hot breakfast, pool and arcade area. With the hotel taken over by a bunch of kids for the track meet, the staff was very receptive. My team was very fortunate because our rooms were on the far end of the halls. The walls are paper thin so kids running in the halls were loud especially near the atrium. I would recommend this hotel to others staying in the Detroit area.

Dear purpletrackcoach,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad your team enjoyed their visit during the AAU JO. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the noise may have caused you.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed in this Holiday Inn for 4 nights while visiting family in the area. Although the hotel is older and not as "modern or contemporary" as the newer hotels it was very pleasant. The pool area was very nice and our room opened up to this area which was ideal for the kids. My son liked the fitness center, which was small, but adequate. The breakfast buffet was not complimentary but was very good for the price. We did have an issue with a leak in the bathroom ceiling and came back at night to a large puddle of water on the floor. The first day they sent an engineer in immediately. He was extremely polite and courteous and found there was an issue with the air conditioner "overflow container." that is in the ceiling above our bathroom. He emptied it and cleaned up the floor and brought us new towels. He also came back with free breakfast passes which was very nice and unexpected. The second night we got back and again a flood. The same engineer came right back and did his thing once again. He was so apologetic and got us a reduced rate for the eveining. The final eveing we had the same problem again and the same engineer. He was in and out in 5 minutes and we got the night on the house. For the price we ended up paying for 4 nights the little inconvenience was bearable. Thank you to the wonderful staff who bent over backwards to make our stay memorable.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

There was no temperature control in the room. If I wanted to adjust the temp, I had to call for an engineer to do it. The toilet did not flush. The wi-fi disconnected every couple hours & had to log in each time. The walls are obviously thin and the hotel was extremely noisy. I was awakened several times during the night with banging doors. They charge $10 for a refrigerator in the room. The bathroom was tiny. Hangers were broken, but still hanging there to use.

Beyond all that, the staff at the front desk, buffet area and engineering were outstanding - very friendly and helpful. It is wrong that the review I filed with the hotel will reflect negatively on them when the problems lie solely with management.

Room Tip: Because of the design with the pool being in the center of the hotel, all rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Ranbeckley,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel and how great are staff treats people I will be sure to share your comments with them. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensyre similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I have discussed your comments with our management team and am confident we will take the necessary steps to continue to improve. My contact number is 734-464-1300 and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you in person & hopefully win you back as a guest to our hotel.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were in the area for a Baseball Tourney, so we choose this Hotel for its location.

Let me start by I am a wee bit OCD, therefore I am a big person when it comes to reading reviews before I book somewhere. We picked this hotel not for just the location but the price was right too.

We were greeted by a great front desk staff! They were friendly, attentive, and accommodating!
I wasn't sure what to expect when we walked in because the reviews talked of a heavy pool smell but it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated! The lobby was great-ample seating bright & open! The pool was great, work out room was suitable as well! The layout of the 1st floor "common" area was great if you have kids/teens. The pool, spa, work out facility & pool tables provided a place to relax and keep an eye out!

Traveling to our room-it turned into a wild goose chase. Lugging your bags and coolers all around the hotel wasn't enjoyable to say the least. It would have been a great start to read a sign and go in a "said direction" (we weren't the only ones lost).

One of our major complaints is the "Signage" in the hotel. Navigating your way around is not that easy. We had to guess our way around the hotel to find our room. Location of Elevators are not labeled in the halls, room number listing were a guess (i.e. <---323 thru 360). You literally had to walk the hall to see which direction you were going in (#'s up or down). Ice and vending was only on one side of the hotel (people had take a small hike to get to it if it wasn't in your wing).

Food: We dined in the Eatery onsite and it was decent. The bartender was great! She made us feel right at home and she waited on our table as well! The breakfast buffet in the morning was ample & yummy (it wasn't that expensive either). I don't know if they do a managers reception anymore? There was a bar in the lobby which is where it may take place--but no one ever said anything to us & we never saw anyone at that bar.

Overall--Our stay was not that bad! The friendly attentive staff helped to make the experience better!

Room Tip: Our room: It was average. The accounts of the hotel being musty & damp are sort of true. Our roo...

Dear Krissy_061824,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. I apologize for any inconvenience the lack of room signage may have caused you.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Overall I had a very pleasant stay. The hotel is close to everything I needed including resteraunts and malls as well as the city. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The Rooms and bathrooms were clean and cozy. I highly recommend this hotel for those traveling to the Detroit area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business