“Not even close to 'good'”

Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Livonia
Petoskey, Michigan
“Not even close to 'good'”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a former Super 8 hotel (according to the faucet in the bathroom) that has seen better days.

1. No phone in the room to contact desk or receive wake-up call on. According to the front desk clerk, guests "steal them, even thought few people have house phones anymore."
2. No plastic cups in the room to drink from.
3. Two double beds with a total of 2 of the tiniest (and thinnest) pillows (about half the size of pillows you would have at home) I have ever seen. The nice front desk clerk managed to scrounge up a third pillow for us.
4. Is toast considered a continental breakfast these days?
5. The younger front desk clerk that was present when we arrived was not friendly or helpful in any way. The older man who started his shift at midnight was VERY helpful.
6. The room was fairly clean, but sparse. One tiny bar of soap was in the room, along with two bath towels (see comment above about stolen phones). Good thing there was only two of us staying in the room that night.
7. Shower was scalding hot and could not be adjusted to a comfortable level. It was either too hot (enough to burn you) or freezing cold.
8. The Wi-fi worked GREAT even though the motel room was not in the main building.

I am not normally a person who complains or takes the time to write reviews, but this property did not match up with what you expect after reading the online information. For the mid-priced rate that I paid, I expected better. It makes me wonder what the other ABVI motels are like.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tomwaye
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear guest,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I would also like to apologize to you for all the inconveniences you have experienced at this location, and also apologize for the clerk that did not have anyone to bring a phone to your room.
I have talked to my housekeeping staff regarding all required items(plastic cups included) need to be put into all rooms. the tiny pillows have been removed with new ones in there place.
we are still under renovations from the previous owner and updating from all super 8 logos to the ABVI logos.
I have also contacted a plumber with the issue addressed to the only hot or cold problem.
I'm glad that the gentleman on midnights was very helpful to you, and do again apologize for the afternoon clerk.
If ever again you are in this area I would like to have the opportunity to meet the needs required from you and all the guests that come here.
Again thank you for this review. Have a wonderful day

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Redford, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have never in my life been to a worse hotel. To start the walk ways are covered in trash and broken glass, there was literally chicken bones laying on the ground.The first room we walked into did not have working lights or a working heater and the curtains were half way pulled off the wall. They sent us to five different rooms and either the tv or lights or toilet didn't work. The fifth room everything worked but the sheets had hair on them and didn't look like they had been washed. The only time any one helped us is when I told them I didn't want to move my 4 month old child again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Hrdjjbrj
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,
First I would like to thank you for this review.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. I can assure you that the walkways have been cleaned up. As far as the lights not working in the rooms, they are controlled by the wall switch by the doors. The heaters in the rooms do not stay running consistently as they have built in thermostats. With the finding of a hair in the bed I will personally make sure that all housekeeping staff wear hair nets from now on. Again I would like to thank you for the review, and apologize for your inconvenience you experienced, and hope that if you are in this area again you will let us have a second chance to right the wrongs you had here.

Travellers are raving about these Livonia hotels

Wayne, Michigan
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I reseverd a queen jacuzzi room it was a good price but the 1st room I got the sheets had blood on them holes in the blanket so of course I went and got a room change the 2nd room was a little better the bedding didn't have blood on it but the sheets and blanket had holes in them the tv had no remote the jacuzzi had hair in it whiched I cleaned myself be I used it after seeing hair in it the safe didn't work the outside was dirty and garbage was everywhere. I have stayed in a lot of America best valve inns and the rating in there book is way wrong they have it as a four check system it's more like a one check but on anther note the front desk people were very helpful

• Stayed March 2014
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Hello travelers, made reservations at this hotel using special internet rate but seen banner outside of hotel advertising the same rate along with $199 weekly rate. Stayed in queen size room very spacious with desk and free slow Wi-Fi the safe was broken one of the lights didn't turn on and the microwave didn't get power half the time. It seems to be a really old hotel with old gaudy furniture, TV, and bed the alarm clock was unplugged felt like I was in the 1980s. Did notice bugs and spiders in room. Not staying here again, there's a night club that I doubt is even open as part of the entire complex with nasty looking bowling alley in the same parking lot weird stuff. Checked out at like 3 A.M. had to get out of there after a few nights.

-Adam

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear guest,
First I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while you stayed at our hotel. Also thank you for the review. We are under new management and ownership and are remodeling our hotel here. It has been a slower process then expected. That does not give the excuse for the spiders. The safe issue we most certainly could have taken care of if the issue was brought to the attention of the hotel staff. I know the bowling alley is right next door and yes the owner/management team has been working on the repairs to the old building as well. I do hope that one day you will reserve a room and give us here another chance to rectify the wrong experience or ideas you have of our hotel.
Again thank you for the review. It does help us here as well as others so we can fix any problems you experienced. to make sure no one else does.
Shelby
Reviewed 1 December 2013

If you just need a place to crash this is it! Cheap and basic. Rooms could use updating and a good cleaning, no bedspreads on beds, bothered me and room was cold. Bathroom needed cleaning but was passable. Very friendly staff and good location. Only stay here if you want cheap, no frills, just a place to crash!

• Stayed November 2013
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
First I would like t thank you for taking the time to post your review.
W are in the midst of remodeling our hotel, the no bedspread on the bed is from the new guide lines we must follow of the triple sheeting standards. I do apologize for the room being chilly, the heat should have been left on. Please be advised that the rooms are being over looked by management on a daily basis.
Again I would like to say thanks for taking the time to write a review to express areas of concern.
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed at hotels of the same chain, in both Missouri and Wisconsin, that were very good. So I expected something similar in Livonia. I booked a handicapped accessible room. When I checked in, I was put on the second floor because the hotel had no clue about what kind of room I had booked. Poor communication.

I was "upgraded" to a first floor room, but if that was an upgrade, the first room must have been pretty bad. The room we ended up in was in poor condition. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, sagging toward the middle. The outlet near the bed had unsafe bare wires. The sink faucet leaked profusely every time it was turned on. The phone message light flashed all night, even though there no messages. And the back of the door looked like someone had taken potshots at it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Guest,
First I would like to apologize for the bad stay you had here with us. However the communication problem could have come from the booking agent, I will gladly look into this on behalf of you and my staff. also regarding the maintenance issues you had with the second room has been taken care of. the door however was fine, even though I'm not quite sure what a potshot is. Again I would still like to apologize for any mishaps you encountered and if you are ever in this area again please give us another chance to satisfy your needs.
Clinton Townshi
Reviewed 23 October 2012

From the time we checked into our room until they finally passed out around 3 am, the person in the room above us walked around pacing the floor and making the floor squeak. They left around 11:30 pm which I prayed to fall asleep, but the bed was so hard and the pillow was like a huge marshmallow, that I couldn't. They returned within the hour and the pacing started again. All I can say is Drug head!!!!! Oh yeah, we randomly got a wake up call at 3:45 am!!!! I had to wake up at 5:45 to go to work. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotelguest28512, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
I'm sorry about the horrible night stay you had on your recent visit to our hotel.
I can not apologize enough regarding the noisy guests that were above your room.
The wake-up call you received in the middle of the night should have never happened. Our front desk staff is very well at making sure these timers are turned on and off to accommadate all guests. however, they did seem to miss your room call. With this I do apolgize and hope you will consider giving our hotel another chance to accommadate you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livonia
Americas Best Value Inn
Crossland Economy Studios - Detroit - Livonia
Quality Inn & Suites Banquet Center
Red Roof Inn Detroit Plymouth
Detroit Marriott Livonia

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Livonia/Detroit? Share your experiences!