“Great for one night” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ludington
Barrie,
“Great for one night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We are a group of 4 cyclists who like a motel where you can drive right to the door and then park your bikes inside. The rooms were very clean and large. The price at $55 was right. You could walk to the downtown strip or the restaurant a couple of blocks away. We were one mile from the ferry which made it easy to get there for the 8:30 a.m. departure. This motel is basic, no pool, no hairdryer, no breakfast - just coffee - but a good place to rest your head while travelling through Ludington.

Room Tip: No smoking on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mil B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this motel for two nights because I was in a wedding here in Ludington. Upon checking in, the owner immediately started treating me with disrespect. I told her there would be 2 of us staying in the room and she looked at me with disgust (it was my friend-a girl- and myself sharing the room to save on cost) I also had to tell her how much change to give me back because she could subtract very well.

I walk into the room and I was shocked! The smell was unbearably horrible, most of the windows were screwed shut and the ones that I could open only opened about 3 inches. The entire room was completely out dated. I got electrocuted twice trying to turn on one of the lamps. My alarm clock wasn't even on.

I could not believe the service here. Throughout my stay every time I would come out/in my room one of the family members would be outside just standing there staring at me like I was some kind of criminal (very uncomfortable)

Upon check out I was yelled at because we had an extra person stay in our room because they were to intoxicated to drive home. The owner yelled at me and threatened me saying he has security cameras and he saw that I had 5 extra people in my room (completely untrue) I didn't even argue with them I calmly said I was sorry and I didn't know I wasn't suppose to have any extra guests. They said that I owed them $20 more dollars and if I tried to leave that they would catch me (keep in mind I have only said a few words and I wasn't even arguing with them)

Needless to say, do not go here! You will get the worst room in the whole town along with the worst service. I wish I had read some reviews before wasting my money here.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank klpderooy

Travellers are raving about these Ludington hotels

Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Air conditioner was very loud not where I would want to spend any length of time at. Would stay some place else next time.The only thing this place has going for it is the location for it is on the main street and easy to find.

Room Tip: We probable would not stay there again. It was on the main drag of town so was easy to find
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ellienord
Chilton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a very nice family run motel. No frills but very clean and in an excellent location, walking distance to the beach and downtown. t's a little far from the ferry but they provide a shuttle service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Just spent a night here at the Ventura Motel. It's an older style Mom and Pop type of motel that is located extremely well for exploring Ludington. It's nothing fancy, certainly not trendy, could maybe use a little paint here and there, but it's a clean, friendly, place that offers an ambience that you seldom find at a chain motel, and it will cost you possibly 30% to 50% less than the chains. . We did experience a little outside noise from friendly fellow travelers that had congregated outside of their rooms to visit in a relaxed atmosphere, but turning on the A/C blower provided an amount of "white noise" to help counteract the external noise.
It's too bad that the motel doesn't have space to provide a "community courtyard" area to be used by patrons to socialize a little further away from the rooms, as I have found those areas to be very enjoyable to banter with other guests, and it adds to the fun, overall feel of a place like this, but it appears that there is no space available to do that without reducing the size of the parking lot, and that would certainly create complaints, I'm sure.

Verdict: Clean, reasonably priced, and in a great location. What else does one really need?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The two great advantages the Ventura has are location and availability. It's right next to the city park (not the beach park), across the park from the popular local ice cream parlor, and within a short and gentle walk to both the beach and downtown Ludington. And it was available when other area hotels and motels were booked up.

But it was loud. Not only was the gracelessly retrofitted air conditioner that had been dropped into the front window loud, but groups of people hung out in front of the rooms to talk loudly into the night, and whenever the people upstairs fired up their 'luv tub' the room was shaken by a disquieting rumble.

And the bathroom had mildew problems, probably because it also didn't have a fan, just a window that opened a few inches (the window next to the bathroom was screwed shut). The room was awash in air freshener, we believe meant to hide the scent of the mildew.

On the other hand, I may have noticed all of that more because the extremely flat pillows left me with a cramp in my neck from sleeping wrong. Or my disposition may have become even less amiable because there was no coffee maker (or 'continental breakfast' with morning coffee opportunities).

We also found ourselves needing a couple of other things we've gradually come to expect to find in American hotel and motel rooms over the past decade, namely an iron and a hair dryer. But you may not need either one. It's a beach town; why would you?

The room was cleaned adequately (though it could use a 'deep clean' between seasons), the bed itself was comfortable, and the unexpected refrigerator was very handy.

The ice cream parlor/restaurant on the other side of the park has coffee, the Meijer on the other side of town sells cheap pillows, and people don't congregate or use the 'luv tubs' every night of the week. Once the heat wave broke the breeze from the lake made using the air conditioner less necessary.

But we won't be going back there again, given the opportunity to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on the two story side are more likely to experience 'luv tub' rumble.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joni B
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Reserved a room at this motel for a quiet evening away and brought our dog. Never during our phone conversation to make the reservation did they mention no pets and their website does not say no pets either. Upon arriving we were greeted by the owner who saw our dog in the car and proceeded to tell us that she had no room for us and that it was our fault for not being informed and that we needed to stop filling out the paperwork and leave.
Now I have been in customer service at a reputable Ludington restaurant for 30 years and know most of the hotel owners and make recommendations to customers on a regular basis, I'm sorry but this owner knows nothing about taking care of customers or running a business which might explain why she is one of the few places on a busy summer weekend that had vacancies. I will never send another customer her way again even if she is the only place left in town.
What would have been nice would have been helping us find a place that was pet friendly or even consider the fact that we could have gotten someone to take care of our pet for the night. Instead she chose to be beyond extremely rude and disrespectful.
I have already talked with several people in town about this and will call the chamber on Monday to let them know how these people are representing Ludington to everyone's potential customers. Yes I know many influential people in town and will talk to everyone I can about how awful these people are.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple