“Great location”
Review of Metivier Inn

Metivier Inn
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Located just off the main street but close to Grand Hotel and Starline ferry.
Staff is very helpful. Highlight is the front porch overlooking the garden. Perfect for eating breakfast on or mapping out the day's events. The back yard is a great place to relax but I never saw anyone back there. Our room (#7) is the the smallest in the place. As are the other 2 original rooms. Not a problem since we only slept in it. There is a sitting area with plenty of room to stretch out. Did not feel cramped even though it was booked. I think there are about 20 rooms. Breakfast is buffet style from 7:30 to 9:30. Ham and scrambled eggs were served along with breads, desserts, oatmeal and yogurt. We heard the dining room is a little crowded at the 8 - 8:30 peak. We went at 9:00 and had our pick of tables. After check out you are invited use the facilities and help yourself to coffee for the rest of the day. You can keep your luggage in an unguarded shed outside the check in door. Valuables may be kept behind the desk.

Room Tip: The 3 original rooms are small. Still sufficient for sleeping and light luggage.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I just stayed for 4 days at the Metivier Inn for my 50th birthday. What a beautiful Bed and breakfast. The room was clean, beautifully decorated and had a very warm feel. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. The hot breakfast was very good and there was always plenty of food. The landscaping surrounding the Inn was gorgeous ! The owner definitely has a green thumb. Many people would just stop to take pictures of the grounds.

The room we stayed in was a little small, but still beautiful. If you have any issues with stairs make sure to let them know this ahead of time. We were on the 3rd floor and we just got used to the stairs. Bringing the suitcases down was a bit of a challenge but we made it work.

My husband and I will definitely come back and would stay at the Metivier Inn again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Metivier Inn I randomly stumbled upon when looking for a place to stay for five nights on Mackinac Island - what a pleasure it was to stay there! It definitely exceeded our expectations and we will definitely stay at Metivier Inn when we come back to Mackinac Island.

The staff, although busy, was always willing to answer any questions we had. Upon check-in there was fudge available as well as afternoon treats (tea, coffee, water and cookies) and our room was immediately available in the afternoon as promised.

Location was a huge plus - not on the main street which kept it very peaceful yet convenient! It is a very short walk (<5 minutes) from the docks for the Star Line ferry. We used a porter to carry our luggage when arriving on the island for $1/bag (worth it!!).

The porch was wonderful - private enough to sit and watch everyone go by and not feel like you were being exposed. Two tables for eating breakfast outside or just conversing with friends on the porch were also available. Make sure to check-out the backyard gardens - they are beautiful (they back up to the Grand's golf course) and very private.

Breakfast is served from 7:30-9:30 a.m. daily and has a great selection, including hot items.

The upkeep is fantastic - painting outside and gardens make this B&B one of the best on the island in my opinion. The rooms were very clean and the maid service did a great job everyday freshening up our room. Overall the Inn was very quiet.

Our room was pleasantly decorated (queen bed room) - with our own A/C unit. The bed was comfy and there was plenty of room for my husband and I to move about. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom so no need to bring your own!

The only 'watch-outs'...there really isn't an overview of the B&B in your room, for instance the wifi password (ask upon checking-in). That would be a great addition to the rooms - something that gave the lay of the land for guests to understand what is available (include restaurants in the area, etc.). (FYI - there is a small community fridge and ice machine too!) Also a couple friend also staying at Metivier noted that their room had spotty internet (Room 1), while we were fine (Room 18). Note that Rooms 1 & 2 are right off of the porch where guests can sit - however, the Inn does 'close-off' the area between 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. for privacy for these guests.

Look passed the negative reviews by others - this B&B is large (22 rooms) so accommodating to dietary needs for one person is seemingly difficult (would suggest looking for a much smaller B&B then) and the smell from the horses is just a part of Mackinac :)

Room Tip: Ask which room you are reserving when making arrangements - try to stay clear of Rooms 1&2 (righ...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank indy2010
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Came to Mackinac Island with my wife, daughter son in law and Grandbaby and the Metivier Inn was our choice to stay at. This turned out to be a most excellent choice. The staff friendly and very efficient ready to do for you whatever you needed. The breakfast was always very good and the water and snacks amazing. The rooms were perfect, roomy , comfortable, cool and very clean. I am so glad to have stayed here for it made our trip so much better. My heartfelt thanks to the staff of the Metivier Inn. I will be back. And I highly recommend it as the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Nice stay. Room was large and quite. Staff was very friendly. Breakfasts were pretty good for this style B&B. The only thing that would make this review an Excellent would be better Internet which I expect for this price. Obviously this is not a priority to management. Hopefully my review and others I have seen will get their attention yo this matter.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

For 15 years, we have traveled various cities throughout Michigan and stayed in many bed and breakfasts. This was the worst experience we have had. When I made the reservations on the phone, I was not offered any type of room.....just told that there was one available for the night we stayed there. When we arrived at the Inn, there was no one at the desk to greet us....then we were told to sign the book, were given our room key and then were told the time breakfast was served. We were then left to find our room and explore the inn and grounds on our own. Don't know if there really was air conditioning as there was a large fan in our room. The Internet did not work and the TV was very fuzzy. We paid a lot of money for this room...almost as much as a fine luxury hotel...but did not get any personal treatment at all. It should not be called a bed and breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 152jules260
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed 3 nights and had a wonderful time on beautiful Mackinac Island. The room wasn't anything to rave about but it was enough for us. We didn't travel 12 hours to stay in our room. While the room wasn't huge or luxiourious, it was very clean. Like, eat off the bathroom floor clean. And after riding around the Island, I got the idea cleanliness may not be a priority with every B&B but it was here. The staff was great, the breakfasts were great and I think the location is fantastic. The lake view is missing but you're in a perfect place to start your trip to anywhere and if you want to leave the bikes at the Inn for dinner or don't have them, you are in very easy walking distance to the "madness" of Main Street. My only complaint would be the water pressure in the shower which is pretty well non existantant but I would definitely recommend Metivier.

• Stayed: June 2013