“Beautiful and personable hotel”
Review of Metivier Inn

Metivier Inn
Berkley, Michigan, United States
“Beautiful and personable hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

If you are going to make the trip to Mackinac Island Metivier is the place to stay. They have all of the comforts of a hotel plus the personality of a bed and breakfast. The rooms are beautifully decorated and spotless. I travel a lot for work and I really appreciated the service the managers at the Metivier provide. The breakfast is much more than a continental and really fills you up until lunch. Mackinac is magical and the Metivier adds to the magic. Or and the beautiful gardens how could I forget?

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side porch or the main porch so you can look at the beautiful gardens.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ortonville, Michigan
Reviewed 24 August 2013

As a lifelong Michigander I have been to Mackinaw Island many times! Several times I have stayed at some of the larger hotels and resorts. But as we would walk or bike around the island I would always look longingly at the bed and breakfasts and become envious of the people lounging on the beautiful front porches or in the gardens. I would think, someday I will be on that porch!
Someday came!. My daughter and I recently stayed at the Metivier Inn for 2 nights as a celebration of her birthday and a send off to grad school. It was everything I hoped for and more! We loved being porch people and waving at the wagon tours as they would pass! The lounge chairs in the front garden also are a great spot for a cup of afternoon tea or happy hour!
Our room was an average size for a bed and breakfast and the en suite bath is always a plus. The entire Inn is very clean! Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and professional. The breakfast buffet had many choices including hot or cold cereal, granola, coffee cake, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, an egg dish, French toast and more!
We would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank katywampus
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week for our honeymoon. We stayed in the jacuzzi suite. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! The room had a gorgeous view and the jacuzzi was wonderful. The only remotely negative thing was it was a smidge cramped with our luggage but that is a very minor complaint. Otherwise it was fantastic. It was close to everything you'd want to do and we very much enjoyed their beautiful landscaping! We highly recommend the Metivier Inn and they provide a wonderful breakfast as well!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Acole82
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Metievier for two nights to celebrate our 17th anniversary. We stayed in room 5 which is the turret room and is one of the rooms in the original part of the house. It was beautifully decorated and very clean and the flower gardens are some of the most beautiful on the island. The canopy bed was so comfortable with a memory foam topper and a lovely quilt. The room was the perfect size for my husband and me. Loved the lilac soap in the bathroom! Even found some like it in a gift shop so bought it to take some of Mackinac home with me. The breakfast was delicious with something for everyone. The oatmeal was especially delicious with apple and cranberries. There was also sliced ham, cheesy scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, English muffins, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, homemade Danish, small boxes of cold cereal, milk, orange juice, various flavors of tea, and coffee. If you went away hungry, it was your own fault! The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was also a refrigerator, microwave, and ice machine for the residents to use. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Titansfans6
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Located just off the main street but close to Grand Hotel and Starline ferry.
Staff is very helpful. Highlight is the front porch overlooking the garden. Perfect for eating breakfast on or mapping out the day's events. The back yard is a great place to relax but I never saw anyone back there. Our room (#7) is the the smallest in the place. As are the other 2 original rooms. Not a problem since we only slept in it. There is a sitting area with plenty of room to stretch out. Did not feel cramped even though it was booked. I think there are about 20 rooms. Breakfast is buffet style from 7:30 to 9:30. Ham and scrambled eggs were served along with breads, desserts, oatmeal and yogurt. We heard the dining room is a little crowded at the 8 - 8:30 peak. We went at 9:00 and had our pick of tables. After check out you are invited use the facilities and help yourself to coffee for the rest of the day. You can keep your luggage in an unguarded shed outside the check in door. Valuables may be kept behind the desk.

Room Tip: The 3 original rooms are small. Still sufficient for sleeping and light luggage.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I just stayed for 4 days at the Metivier Inn for my 50th birthday. What a beautiful Bed and breakfast. The room was clean, beautifully decorated and had a very warm feel. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. The hot breakfast was very good and there was always plenty of food. The landscaping surrounding the Inn was gorgeous ! The owner definitely has a green thumb. Many people would just stop to take pictures of the grounds.

The room we stayed in was a little small, but still beautiful. If you have any issues with stairs make sure to let them know this ahead of time. We were on the 3rd floor and we just got used to the stairs. Bringing the suitcases down was a bit of a challenge but we made it work.

My husband and I will definitely come back and would stay at the Metivier Inn again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda K
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Metivier Inn I randomly stumbled upon when looking for a place to stay for five nights on Mackinac Island - what a pleasure it was to stay there! It definitely exceeded our expectations and we will definitely stay at Metivier Inn when we come back to Mackinac Island.

The staff, although busy, was always willing to answer any questions we had. Upon check-in there was fudge available as well as afternoon treats (tea, coffee, water and cookies) and our room was immediately available in the afternoon as promised.

Location was a huge plus - not on the main street which kept it very peaceful yet convenient! It is a very short walk (<5 minutes) from the docks for the Star Line ferry. We used a porter to carry our luggage when arriving on the island for $1/bag (worth it!!).

The porch was wonderful - private enough to sit and watch everyone go by and not feel like you were being exposed. Two tables for eating breakfast outside or just conversing with friends on the porch were also available. Make sure to check-out the backyard gardens - they are beautiful (they back up to the Grand's golf course) and very private.

Breakfast is served from 7:30-9:30 a.m. daily and has a great selection, including hot items.

The upkeep is fantastic - painting outside and gardens make this B&B one of the best on the island in my opinion. The rooms were very clean and the maid service did a great job everyday freshening up our room. Overall the Inn was very quiet.

Our room was pleasantly decorated (queen bed room) - with our own A/C unit. The bed was comfy and there was plenty of room for my husband and I to move about. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom so no need to bring your own!

The only 'watch-outs'...there really isn't an overview of the B&B in your room, for instance the wifi password (ask upon checking-in). That would be a great addition to the rooms - something that gave the lay of the land for guests to understand what is available (include restaurants in the area, etc.). (FYI - there is a small community fridge and ice machine too!) Also a couple friend also staying at Metivier noted that their room had spotty internet (Room 1), while we were fine (Room 18). Note that Rooms 1 & 2 are right off of the porch where guests can sit - however, the Inn does 'close-off' the area between 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. for privacy for these guests.

Look passed the negative reviews by others - this B&B is large (22 rooms) so accommodating to dietary needs for one person is seemingly difficult (would suggest looking for a much smaller B&B then) and the smell from the horses is just a part of Mackinac :)

Room Tip: Ask which room you are reserving when making arrangements - try to stay clear of Rooms 1&2 (righ...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple