“You get what you pay for.”
Review of Pine Cottage B&B

Pine Cottage B&B
Madison, Wisconsin
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The Pine Cottage is a good value considering other options are much more expensive. Expecting high prices and difficulty finding lodging over the 4th of July weekend, I started searching months before. Sure enough, most properties were booked, or way over budget. I opted for two rooms with shared baths at The Pine Cottage and paid only $80 per night, per room. The shared bath isn't optimal and could use some updating, at minimum a more functional shower (i.e., area to set toiletries). The rooms are simple, but they are clean. Breakfast is just okay. Overall, if you're relatively self-sufficient and low maintenance you'll manage just fine. Remember, for $80 per night you shouldn't expect the Grand Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 on the second floor are closest to the bathrooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank uwred1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Service was great, but more importantly the rooms were wonderfully reminiscent of the past yet comfortable, very clean, and the most affordable on the island. It was a short and lovely walk from the boat docks to Pine Cottage. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious and the coffee beats the local starbucks. I will be back next summer and will recommend Pine Cottage to all my friends.

Room Tip: Call ahead! Rooms go fast!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lori_beuttenmuller
Gladstone, Michigan
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Four of us girls checked in for a much needed get away from civilization on June 16th. We had a wonderful time and found the rooms very comfortable & clean and very "cozy".
There was fresh coffee and tea and iced tea available at all times of the day.
We had a wonderful hostess and the entire staff was very helpful & smiling! They keep us informed about everything that was going on during that time, the Lilac Festival was wonderful!
The rooms & bathrooms were very clean as was the entire B& B . The breakfast food was wonderful in the morning. We had a great variety of freshly made parfaits, rolls, muffins along with fruit, yogurt, and cereal and heavenly coffee and tea. It was very relaxing and we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. I cannot wait to go back- very nice atmosphere!
Thank you Pine Cottage Inn, we had a great time there, thanks to all of you!

2 Thank shawnee56
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Went to Mackinac Island to see the Lilac Festival, for the first time. We stayed at Pine Cottage, it was close to town. Pine Cottage was perfect, down the street from the Fort. It was nice to stay in a house that was decorated from its period and not in a cookie cutter hotel room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kjlamination
michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I decided last minute that my husband and I needed a getaway and wanted to go to Mackinac Island. I soon found out it was the Island's annual Lilac Festival, and most lodging was sold out, or asking top prices for reservations. Eventually I found the Pine Cottage B&B for a fair price (or at least I thought so, before staying there!) and booked our 3 night, 4 day stay. On arrival we were greeted by a 20-something woman who was cheerful and helped us bring our things to our room. She gave a few suggestions and pointers and then left us alone. The following morning when we saw her at breakfast, she was unfriendly - and downright brooding! I personally NEVER saw any other staff for the rest of our stay. Didnt feel unwelcome, and we mostly wanted to do our own thing anyway, but wow, there was nothing here to make us feel welcome, either. Breakfast our first morning was some kind of egg thing baked into a croissant-like pastry. It was VERY onion-ey and stone cold - I assumed if breakfast is served from 8 - 10, I should be able to go down at 930 and get fresh, hot food - no way! Not here! There was also a small parfait-style fruit cup with berries and yogurt, some mini muffins, and juice.....and this continued to be the SAME breakfast served all three mornings - not even a fresh batch, for all I knew, probably just microwaved over and over. And the parfaits werent even available our last morning - the one thing I liked - not there. SO the building itself was from back in the 1800's or something so certain things are probably beyond their control, but there were a lot of cracks in the walls, a definite "lean" to the floor, the toilet was cracked and slowly leaking, with the leaking water seeping across the leaning floor, making the bathroom floor quite slippery. There was a clawfoot tub with shower, but the plastic shower curtain surrounding it made for tight quarters, and rather impossible not to bump the curtain with an arm or leg once in a while, and that's just gross to me, thinking who else before me has bumped their various body parts into the sides - ew! Also, the craziest thing - on our second night there I was awoken by a faint knocking on a door, not our door, but a door not far from ours....then more urgent knocking....and then pounding on the door along with the exclamation, "Police Department! Open up!!" I thought maybe we were about to experience our first time as hostages, or be suddenly evacuated from our room - and I hadnt packed an outfit for waking to a hostage or evacuation situation! (I'm making light of it but it was scary at the time) The "police" went down the steps, there were loud voices, then they came back, along with a female voice. I heard a key in a door, more muffled voices, then retreating back down the steps. That was the end of it, and there was NO apology or explanation of any sort offered the next day by any staff members for the previous night's scuffle. Our room had a small window air conditioner, and the days were sunny and warm; however the nights cooled off nicely and we would have loved to open the windows and get some fresh air, but the windows were painted shut! Thankfully the bed was very comfortable.
We loved Mackinac Island and loved the different "vibe" there after the "day trippers" left each day. We did lots of walking, exploring and "chilling out". The lilacs were at their peak, fragrant and gorgeous, and the weather was incredibly perfect. We especially enjoyed meals on the back deck at the Pink Pony Bar, and had a wonderful, early summer dining experience on the patio of the Gate House Restaurant - two places not to be missed. But Pine Cottage? I recommend you miss it!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rhondaMichigan
Sun City, California
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We stayed four days at Pine Cottage, it is one of the original hotels on
Mackinac Island, and is one of the most fun. Most of the rooms have a
sink with hot and cold water, very convient for washing up and brushing
teeth. The staff was helpful and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rileyrainbow
Reviewed 27 August 2010

"Girls" Magical Weekend!!!!

Our group of "girls" had such a great time. It was like our college days. We rented private apartment in the B&B. Had all the amenities of B&B (breakfast was delicious) but had the apartment to our selves. The ambiance of the Inn just enhanced our comraderie. The staff was gracious and personable. I still smile when I think about it and we will return!

• Stayed July 2010