“Too Loud to Sleep, Too Loud to Enjoy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Lilac House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 14 Mackinac Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2013

First of all, the proprietor of this B&B is a gem. She was accommodating and responsive when I was initially setting up the reservation, and this continued throughout our stay. LoriAnn is terrific on all levels. There was always ice water, snacks, and all sorts of great stuff sitting in the living room for guests to grab whenever they needed. It really helped improve the stay.

We stayed in what I believe was room 5, the two twin beds room. It was quite small, but nothing unmanageable. It is a room with a shared bathroom, located immediately next door. As none of the other shared bathroom rooms were occupied, my friend and I each had a bathroom to ourselves. The bathrooms were clean and nice, with substantial water pressure in the shower.

Now for the problems. The bedroom did not have an air conditioner in it, but it did have a ceiling fan. We had to keep the window open at night so we weren't sweltering. The establishment next door had seating outside which the residents took advantage of (loudly) well past 4am. The nearby bars were also a source of horrendous noise for the majority of the night. Additionally, the door between the room and the hallway is thin, as are the walls, so I was awoken whenever someone came into their room during the night or used the bathroom.

It really was sad that there was such an issue with noise as the proprietor and facility were both very pleasant. I feel terrible leaving this review at three stars as the service was worth at least four, but my complete lack of sleep ruined the trip for me. If you are a normal or light sleeper, do not stay at the Lilac House B&B or you will not sleep at all. I highly recommend the Mackinaw Beach and Bay in Mackinaw City as it is quiet, half the price for twice the space, and has a pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Freemajo

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I hesitate to write this review because I don't want this wonderful place to be booked when we next visit. We have stayed here many times over the years and it is consistently clean and welcoming. The owner grew up in this home (his mother, Mary, was our first host) and he and his fabulous wife have run it in season for several years now. LoriAnn could not be more accommodating, going out of her way to make sure we enjoy our stays. If you are looking for cinnamon brioche with fruit compote and French-pressed coffee for breakfast, this isn't your spot. But if you are looking for a big old house with welcoming porch swings, large comfortable rooms, friendly hosts, and an unbeatable location at very reasonable island rates, book your room now. Just not when we want to go.

Room Tip: If you need space, ask for Rm 1. It looks out over Market Street, though, so be prepared to hear the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lifeisgoodtome
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

The Lilac House is a comfortable B & B with shared bathrooms. There were two bathrooms on our floor and they were rarely busy. They were clean and had a supply of towels and soap. The breakfast is coffee, cereal, pop years, bagels and muffins and can be enjoyed on the front porch or inside. The room I stayed in wasn't air conditioned, but the fans kept us comfortable. Overall a quiet, comfortable place.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank TravelBuddy536
Reviewed 20 July 2011

After five days of tent camping, not sure if we were looking forward to our day trip to Mackinac Island or staying in a hotel with a real bed! To be honest, this bed and breakfast is owned by a friend of mine who grew up on Mackinac Island, in this house, which has since been converted to a bed and breakfast. A call to him for a price quote made this stay slightly more expensive than a similar property in St. Ignace or Mackinac City! We opted to change our plans to stay on the island and tour it the following morning.

You can't ask for a better location for the price. The B&B is literally three blocks from the Arnold Line docks and central to everything. But be forewarned, the Lilac House's great location is also a half block away from the Mustang Bar. If you've been out of college for a dozen or years or so, recall what college-aged patrons can be like on weekends!

Though our room shared a bath, we never had a conflict with another guest. Our bath had a fantastic claw foot tub that we took advantage of after an afternoon of riding bikes. And yes, the tub is big enough for two adults to enjoy a nice hot bath.

The highlight of this bed and breakfast is the front and side porch. Shortly after checking in, we walked two blocks down the street to the small grocery store and bought a bottle of wine, some beer, and cheese and crackers. We put the porch to good use, meeting a couple of the other guests and watching the world go by on horseback and bicycle. It was during this late afternoon respite that convinced us to extend our stay one more night.

Lori Ann was a perfect hostess who had the coffee ready when we came down in the morning. Breakfast was simple, cold cereal, milk, and fruit. Other bed and breakfasts we've stayed at had more hearty food but we also paid a lot more, too! If you're expecting a hot breakfast, you can find it in town.

The bed was comfortable and the room large. I agree the furniture could use a little TLC but when all things being equal, my girl friend and I found this an excellent value. This is a typical Michigan home meaning no central air conditioning. Rooms are provided with a ceiling fan and another larger floor fan in the closet. We would definitely come back again. Do yourself a favor....don't stay ashore at Mackinac Island or St. Ignace......stay here!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank justthatgoodguyjim
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I've been staying at the Lilac House every Fourth of July for about five years. The location really can't be beat - it's on Market Street, which is one street up from Main Street and therefore much quieter but still very close to everything in town. It has a great porch out front where you can sit and watch the bikes and horses go by while enjoying breakfast or coffee. The rooms are fairly big compared to some other B&Bs on the island, and the place only has about 8 rooms so it never feels very crowded. Most rooms have a communal bathroom, but the showers work well and the bathrooms are kept very clean. Breakfast is simple - similar to an a la carte at a chain hotel (boxed cereals, milk, toast/bagels).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank batty87
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Clean rooms, close to downtown, very hip owners...was a perfect trip to take thanks to LoriAnn. The price was right and I loved the relaxed "family-type" atmosphere (i.e. no soggy bagels in the morning) Pop-tarts and snacks all day!!
Highly recommend if you don't want to get gouged at the Grand...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Derek48220
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I recently stayed at Lilac House over the Labor Day weekend so everything was pretty booked. I found a room at the Lilac House. It was a room with a twin bed and the floor was painted gray and had an area rug. This room did not have a private bath. Sharing a bath was okay for one night but I would not want my whole vaction to be a share bath. I have stayed in many hotels and B&B's on the island so I would just caution everyone that this a very basic B&B without much frills. It has no air or television. It is a great location and farily clean but just keep in mind it is basic.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo