“Very Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Sunset Condominiums
Plymouth, Michigan, United States
“Very Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My Wife and I stayed in a Patio Room for our 9/27/13 anniversary. The room was on the bottom floor of Cedarwood so not much of a view, but very nice, quiet, and fairly modern (not like some of the pics of some of the rooms that we saw). The room was VERY economical for the weekend compared to really anything else available on the Island. The shuttle worked well to bring up our luggage while we stayed in town for awhile. We actually very much enjoyed the location, the Woods Restaurant & lounge, and the lounge at the Inn at Stonecliff. It would be much more difficult to stay here if you did not bring your own bikes, but we did and had a great time biking back and forth to town and exploring the island. We have stayed on the island numerous times in the past, but this location really was a whole different experience and we now have a view of staying on the island that we never had staying in town. I would definately recommend Sunset Condos to anyone looking for a nice, quiet, different experience on Mackinac.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors for a better view. Also ask for a room with more modern decor.
2 Thank Kevin G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

If you don't mind being away from the "action" or you want away from it, this is a good place. Ask for a room upstairs for the best view.

Pros:
Nice view of the water. Website says there is a view of the Mackinac Bridge but in reality you can only see a small piece at least when the leaves on are on the trees. You can take a short walk to Sunset Rock where you will find a great view of the the bridge. Quiet and peaceful.

Cons:
Two miles from town. Not really a bad walk but if you make many trips it could get old. The walls are thin. If you are taking a hot shower and someone flushes the toilet, you get a scalding hot shower. Ouch! The patio "condo" is more like a larger hotel room than a condo. There is a couch with a refrigerator and microwave. Not what I call I condo but for 2 people it is fine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mazma5
Gillett, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

My wife and I were there for our anniversary. We stayed at Sunset Condos. We brought along our own breakfast food for in the morning and were able to make ourselves a great breakfast and eat out on the deck of our room. It was great. At night we would come back and sit on the deck and have a drink and some snacks as we watched the sun set over St. Ignes. The view was wonderful. This condo is located about 2 miles from town, but it is a nice horse drawn taxi ride away from town, or a nice walk to or from town. A very peaceful and relaxing place to be. The staff at Sunset were very nice and helpful, and friendly. There when ever you needed them with what ever you needed. A very nice place to visit. When you are on the island you can travel by horse drawn taxi or shuttle, walk, or by bike. Great place to visit.

1 Thank Randy W
Kalamazoo, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for a wedding Sept 13-15, 2013. The rest of the wedding stayed at the Inn at Stonecliffe, but we chose Sunset Condos due to the HUGE price difference. We were very happy we did! First, we were SO CLOSE to the Inn at Stonecliffe, literally as close as everyone else staying there. We just had a patio room, which worked out great. We were in the Applewood building and had a gorgeous view of the water.

Pros:
- Location near Inn at Stonecliffe.
- Price.
- View from our room (we did catch the sunset one day and it was spectacular),
- There was a fridge, coffee pot and microwave in our room. We had brought stuff for breakfast.
- Very easy getting on the ferry boat with luggage. Check it at the dock, get it at check-in.
- Room very clean.

Cons:
- Besides the bathroom, the rooms were awesome. The bathroom could use a little updating - just simply fixing the really cracked door trim would make a huge difference! This wouldn't stop me from staying here again, but it was simply a touch of detail that drove me crazy!

- The distance to town is a 40 minute horse taxi ride. 6.75/person one way. The location is perfect for the wedding we attended, but it is in a remote location. Perfect for those that want to get away from the busy town area. We did not bring our bikes, but I would recommend bikes if it is feasible. We had a 6 and 3 year old with us, and it would have been a little far for the 6 year old to ride up the hill and down each time.

Room Tip: The Applewood building was the closest to Inn at Stonecliffe.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie N
Grosse Ile, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed in a "patio room," which is NOT a condo. It seems designed to be an additional room to add on to a condo next door as there is a connecting door. However, we rented it as a solo room because it was all we could find available for our stay in August 2013. The room was really nicer than we expected for the price. We had a queen bed which was very comfortable and the linens were nice and clean and fresh. There was a deck with 2 chairs that overlooked a beautiful woods and off in the distance you could see the straits and a bit of the Mackinac Bridge. The room included a fridge, an older TV ( who goes to Mackinac Island to watch TV?), a small coffee pot and a nice wooden entry way with a hardwood floor. We could hear kids in the condo next door running around but luckily they tired out before we did and the night was very quiet.
The pros-quiet, away from the bustle of downtown, surrounded by beautiful woods, water and Big Mack views, and it was economical. Also, a porter was there to greet us as we got off the Arnold ferry and was kind enough to take our bags to the condo office and let us stay in town until later in the day. It was nice that we did not have to mess with them as we arrived. Also, the staff was very nice, and they gave us sufficient information to plan ahead. The place was clean--I found NO problems like those stated by some others regarding cleanliness. The place was a little bit outdated, and there were some small problems like a missing light bulb, but nothing that would prevent me from returning. Please note: I am a clean nut, so there was no problem with the bedding, towels, or room being clean.
The cons-since it is 2 miles from town and there is no eating establishment nearby, you must bring something to eat or take a 45 minute horse carriage shuttle downtown.
Since the condo staff warned us ahead of time, we brought yogurt and granola bars and juice with us from town and so could make do with no problem in the morning. If you were to stay here longer, you would really need to plan ahead--maybe buy cereal and bring some disposable bowls etc. For one or two nights, this is great and it was cheap enough that paying to go back and forth on the shuttle was not a problem. It is $6.75 per person each way to take the horse drawn shuttle to and from town, but it is about 45 minutes-depending on who else is traveling and what luggage has to be loaded. If you want to take an earlier shuttle than the ones scheduled, the office will arrange it for you.
When we left, we took our bags with us (which were small) and stuck them in the locker at the Arnold Ferry dock. It only costs 75 cents and gives you the ability to grab them and get on whatever ferry you choose to use.
As for these condos, I would stay here again if I returned. I was with my elderly mom, so bicycles were not an option, but a bicycle would give you options of coming and going more quickly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank momcop
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer on the island as a kid. I could spend a lot of time telling you about all that the island has to offer, including it's many lodging options. I've stayed in private homes, downtown hotels and most recently, these condos. The reason we chose to stay here during this trip was because my boyfriend and I were going to be traveling with my family, and since the trip was a birthday gift to me, we were trying to keep it reasonably priced for 4 people. We knew that it was a "little" further up the hill than where we typically stay, but I figured for the price, it would be alright. We're young, we have our bikes, and we're all reasonably fit. However, since the website is terrible, we ended up renting what was actually two units with adjoining doors when we could have actually been fine with one unit. I'll start with the pros...

Decent price
Nice view over the water
Full kitchen in our unit
3 full bathrooms

The cons far outweigh the pros...
Since there is so much to do on the island, you waste a lot of valuable time getting up and down that hill. And if you have to leave on the last ferry (which we ended up having to do at the last minute), you might not get a luggage carrier to help you down with your things. This happened to us and we had to walk our bikes and our luggage the 2 miles down the hill to the docks.

The entire place needs a paint job. Like, bad. I don't think it's been touched in terms of updating in about 25 years. And it was just plain not clean. Dust covered every ugly chotchki in the place and the pilling on the couch was enough to make me sit elsewhere.

The screen on our balcony wouldn't open without falling off it's track and it had holes in several places.

There was a huge hole in one of the doors that joined our suite.

While the kitchen was fine (microwave, full fridge, stove/oven), it contained absolutely nothing besides the basic pots and pans. I've never in my life rented a condo/apartment rental that didn't have the basics in the pantry. No salt, no oils, nothing.

There were two crank operated windows above our bed in the "lofted" area but one of the windows was actually missing the crank.

Overall, I wouldn't even say that you get what you pay for. It's way too far away and so far beyond needing updates, that it would have to be a lot cheaper to make me even consider staying there again. There are a lot of other options on the island, folks, keep looking.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SarahsAdventures
Mequon, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Although these condos are a bit outdated in their decor..we were allowed to bring our puppies and the staff is very nice and helpful. Their relationship with the neighboring Stonecliffe was great because they are so friendly over there..you can rent bikes there and they have great restaurant. I would stay again for sure. They are about two miles from downtown which was a little far for convenience but our stay was good..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family