“What a find!!!”

J L Beanery
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A coffee shop located in the harbor offering freshly made muffins, scones, bagels. Coffee drinks, fresh fruit smoothies, and teas are available.
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Found this quaint little gem on TA & couldn't be happier! Service was outstanding and food was fresh and very tasty. Will definitely return :-)

2  Thank dblNdblR

Reviewed 9 July 2013

On a recent trip back to visit family I stopped by "The Beanery" for lunch as well as for breakfast one morning. You can't beat the location, it's certainly one of the best for enjoying a relaxing meal while you're on the Island. For lunch I ordered a tuna sandwich and an frappuccino. The tuna sandwich was absolutely wonderful, the frap was also very tasty. Service was a little slow but not terrible. The following morning I visited for breakfast, I wish I could say I was as happy with my breakfast. I ordered a toasted bagel and again a frappuccino. The bagel was barely toasted and the frappuccino was very thin and tasteless, quite disappointing, certainly not the same quality as the previous day. Service was ridiculously slow for the few people that were there. As far as I could tell I was the only one waiting on food. I was in a hurry to catch the ferry so didn't ask for the staff to remake the coffee. I'm a fan of the Beanery so I will be back on my next visit, just won't go when I'm rushed for time.

1  Thank Magoo098
VickieJ401, Owner at J L Beanery, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for visiting JL Beanery and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Although I am pleased that you enjoyed your lunch with us, I do apologize for your less than satisfactory breakfast! We would have gladly corrected both items for you given the opportunity and hope that you will return again.
We are constantly evaluating how to improve service to customers and appreciate feedback that enables us to address problem areas.
Thank you again for your candid review and we look forward to seeing you again on our beautiful Mackinac Island!
Vickie Johnson
Owner, JL Beanery

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I love the J L Beanery ever since I first discovered it several years ago. The perfect setting for a great breakfast/lunch while enjoying the beautiful Harbor. The pastries and bread are freshly baked. The sandwiches are excellent. Try the BLT-delicious! The coffee and specialty drinks are also great. The owners/Molly/staff are wonderful and very friendly and accommodating. We came here 5 out of 6 days we were on the Island. Can't wait to return in a few weeks.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I wanted to try this place before we left the island, so we tried it for lunch before boarding the ferry – what a treat! The owner/lead waiter/cashier was a model of customer service. He was so engaging with our kids and entire group; his warmth almost overshadowed the awesome quality of the food! They make their breads fresh every morning and you can taste it in the sandwiches – so very, very good. The menu has some creative combinations and healthy choices, so everyone in our group was more than pleased! The location is great – right off the pier in a little place with limited seating, but our group of six fit just fine next to a couple with another 4 or so other tables still available. The Beanery was a true highlight of our visit to the Island – five stars and then some!

1  Thank FEN_10
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I loved this little place overlooking the crystal clear water of Mackinac Island Harbor. It opens at 7:00 a.m., which I appreciate, because I am an early riser. They served a wonderful yogurt/granola/fruit bowl, which I found very tasty. The fruit was frozen, but that did not affect my enjoyment at all. The granola was from Vermont and I mean to inquire if it is available nearer home.

The J.L. Beanery staff were very pleasant and I enjoyed seeing the locals, who came each morning. I had breakfast here most days of my vacation despite the fact that breakfast was included in my B&B stay.