My mother and I visited the Grand Hotel (which we hadn't done since the '70's) and found this beautiful hotel needed some work. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous and the views from the porch are really beautiful. The rooms are nicely appointed, but showing their age (wallpaper peeling in spots, rugs look worn) and the walls are thin. You very clearly can hear your neighbors or people in the hall. Worst of all is the food. With your stay, breakfast and dinner is usually inclusive and I wish it wasn't. They have the tradition of dressing for dinner and I think if you have to "dress" for dinner then dinner should reflect the tradition. I had very dull and uninspired food. Breakfast even was lackluster and something I could have skipped. For a hotel which charges $10 for someone to just visit the hotel and grounds for the day, I expect a far better food service than I experienced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island