What a horrible rip off. I booked a reservation for four people, 3 months in advance of arrival and paid for a named suite and requested the "Somewhere in Time" Suite. They placed us in a room with 1 bed which had purses on the wall for decor. The one bed was two twin beds that had been lashed together. They said there was not another room available. Check in is not until four p.m. and after a boat ride and then a carriage ride (which you pay extra for) to get there, I didn't see how we could go anywere else that night. One of us slept on a couch and the other on a roll away. The package for 3 nights cost almost $2000.00. The waiters kept messing up our food order and bringing us things we hadn't even ordered and I am sad to say the food service was poor, they kept messing up the orders.
The manager told me that I wasn't entitled to the elements of the package I had purchased because one of the elements of my package was a third night free. So I had to go to my room, pull up my confirmation on my computer, take it back down to the desk and show him that the third night free was a part of my package.
The ice cream social was outside on the porch with very little seating. The nightly movie, which I was told when I made my reservation was in the hotel theater ended up being in a side room with a projector screen and folding chairs because they had rented out the theater for a private function.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island