“Grand Hotel? Not so grand after all”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Naples, Florida
“Grand Hotel? Not so grand after all”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

What a horrible rip off. I booked a reservation for four people, 3 months in advance of arrival and paid for a named suite and requested the "Somewhere in Time" Suite. They placed us in a room with 1 bed which had purses on the wall for decor. The one bed was two twin beds that had been lashed together. They said there was not another room available. Check in is not until four p.m. and after a boat ride and then a carriage ride (which you pay extra for) to get there, I didn't see how we could go anywere else that night. One of us slept on a couch and the other on a roll away. The package for 3 nights cost almost $2000.00. The waiters kept messing up our food order and bringing us things we hadn't even ordered and I am sad to say the food service was poor, they kept messing up the orders.

The manager told me that I wasn't entitled to the elements of the package I had purchased because one of the elements of my package was a third night free. So I had to go to my room, pull up my confirmation on my computer, take it back down to the desk and show him that the third night free was a part of my package.

The ice cream social was outside on the porch with very little seating. The nightly movie, which I was told when I made my reservation was in the hotel theater ended up being in a side room with a projector screen and folding chairs because they had rented out the theater for a private function.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
30 Thank Susan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My mother and I visited the Grand Hotel (which we hadn't done since the '70's) and found this beautiful hotel needed some work. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous and the views from the porch are really beautiful. The rooms are nicely appointed, but showing their age (wallpaper peeling in spots, rugs look worn) and the walls are thin. You very clearly can hear your neighbors or people in the hall. Worst of all is the food. With your stay, breakfast and dinner is usually inclusive and I wish it wasn't. They have the tradition of dressing for dinner and I think if you have to "dress" for dinner then dinner should reflect the tradition. I had very dull and uninspired food. Breakfast even was lackluster and something I could have skipped. For a hotel which charges $10 for someone to just visit the hotel and grounds for the day, I expect a far better food service than I experienced.

Room Tip: Get a room with the "porch view" and you can't miss as far as views go.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
24 Thank ktmccb
Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Grand Hotel was a perfect place to celebrate our 36th anniversary. Beautiful gardens, beautiful veranda with white wicker rocking chairs and 8 mile road around the island to bike or take a horse and carriage.Excellent meals.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KRSWisconsin
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Mackinaw Island is a charming island and the Grand Hotel is an historic hotel there. It is a very large hotel and very elegant.

The rooms were satisfactory, the service was very good. The restaurant is enormous and it overwhelmed us. The second night we ate at The Jockey Club on the premisses. The food and ambiance were more to our liking. The service there was excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Cantor Jill S
New Lothrop, Michigan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Wonderful hotel and beautiful surrondings no cars allowed so travel by foot, horseback,carriage or bikes..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have been to the Grand Hotel several times and have NEVER been anything less than blown away. Mackinac Island is a very special and unique experience. But a stay at the Grand Hotel always puts it way over the top. Relaxed atmosphere. World-class service. Excellent dining. My favorite place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CadillacCouple
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have stayed at the Grand before and have loved every unique thing about it. The views of the Mackinaw Bridge, Island, and Lake Huron are stunning. If you stay and have the evening dinner included, take the carrige ride to The Woods Restaruant, also owned and operated by the Grand Hotel. You won't be dissapointed. It is truely a unique dining experience. I am looking forward to returning with my family next summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a bridge or lake view.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!