We stayed for two nights in late june. The weather on the island was awful, but we had an amazing time!
The hotel has amazing service. We had a room on the first floor. It was lovely, with a lake view, but it was a bit small. The first night, the people above us were making so much noise at four in the morning and the people in the hallway were quite loud. The next morning, we complained to the front desk, and they moved us to a larger, more luxurious room on the fourth floor. It was so quiet and nice! The front desk was very professional and understanding throughout the whole process. The staff in the dining room were also very nice. Whenever we asked them to take something off a certain dish, (allergies), they would.
The food was the only part of the hotel that wasn't amazing. The breakfast was good, eggs, bacon, pancakes, and smoothies, and the lunch buffet was interesting. The dinner was not bad but not great. The appetizers lacked flavor, the salads were decent, and the main courses seemed to be prepared to serve a large amount of people, almost like cruise ship food. The dessert, however, was AMAZING! I had a wonderful chocolate cherry cake that everyone at our table tried the first night and then ordered the second. I'd come back for the cake, certainly. There is also a dress code after 6:30 PM, so it's fun to dress up for dinner.
Like I said, the weather when we visited was terrible, fifty degrees or sixty degrees. However, we still could enjoy the heated pool when it was freezing an drizzling rain out. The pool would certainly be fun in hotter weather.
The decor at the hotel was also cool. It was very old fashioned and there were certainly bold color choices and mismatched rugs. It all fit together in a truly amazing way. Some other reviews complained about vinyl couches, but the furniture totally fit in with the cottage-y old fashioned feel of the place. The lobby also had an interesting array of little shops, including an art gallery, a cafe, and a candy cart. There was also a screening room where you could watch "Somewhere in Time", a movie filmed at the Grand in the 1950s. Interesting touch!
We will definitely be back next summer. We had an amazing time and will probably make plans on the spur-of-the-moment, as we want to enjoy the island when the weather is nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island