“Just OK for Me”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Michigan
“Just OK for Me”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hotel as part of a women's retreat. My group had 3 rooms, We sent all the registrations together so were received the same time. The other 2 rooms had lake views, one of the rooms had a balcony. My room was an interior room that had a view of the roof. The room was very pretty and clean. The TV was a small flatscreen sitting on a table in the corner of the room.

The sight of the hotel as you are walking up the hill toward it is really magnificent. The view from the porch is beautiful. The inside just didn't WOW me. It's nice enough, but I expected GRAND. It just didn't live up to my expectations of elegance.

My only complaint would be that they don't hire locals in the dining room. Our waiters were from Jamaica and Philippines. Their English was very hard to understand.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a lake view.
Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank CLEMichigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Korean first
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I recently had an opportunity to celebrate the 125th anniversary of The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We came away amazed at the reception, the accomodations, and the service we received! The Barbara Bush presidential suite was plush and comfortable with a view of the Mackinac Bridge right from our bed!! The meals at the Grand are comparable to eating at a 5-star restaurant! The wait staff could not have been more attentive and friendly. The grounds are spacious and sprawling and the flower beds are meticulously tended. If you are looking for a unique, relaxing vacation, The Grand is the way to go.

3 Thank Kathy K
Livonia, MI
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I travelled to the Grand with my husband and our one year old for her birthday and for mother's day. there are a few things that I read in other reviews that I want to mention. Quality of rooms - they aren't 5 star by any means. But they're clean and in an 'old fashioned' theme. By no means would I throw myself onto the bed crying over it. And I think reading the other reviews and seeing the pictures on the hotel we had enough of a warning about that. We had a view of the roof (boo) and two double beds (boo), but oh well. We weren't there for teh quality of the room, but for the experience of the Grand overall.

Dinner was great, breakfast was great. they rush you a bit, but that was fine for us with a one year old. She was a bit overwhelmed by it all and made a mess all over the dining room (sorry!). There are a lot of activities and the grounds are nice to walk around. The pool wasn't open but if it were, I would imagine it would be nice. I think three days / two nights was teh perfect amount of time. We got to do some fun things, but not there for too long.

You pay $4.50 for a taxi ride, but for us worth it with a stroller and a baby. But if you don't have to carry a bunch of stuff and want to save the money, it's not a far walk to the hotel.

We did have to request the cleaning people to come to our room because we were gone until about 2pm, came back, and room not cleaned. Once we left again and came back it was clean, so issue was taken care of.

Amenities aren't anything spectacular, but the nice thing was a bathtub so we could give our daughter a bath rather than shower with her.

I like the grand. It is not the four seasons in term of the room, but it is an experience in itself and is like stepping back into the past.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jacqs924
Michigan
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I was fortunate enough to go on this trip with my mother, and sister in-law and her mother for the Mother's day weekend special. We left from Shepplers dock in Mackinac city, Where we were greeted like long lost friends when we pulled into the parking lot, before we could get out of the car someone was standing there waiting to take our luggage to the ferry. We never had to touch it! and it appeared in our room! A bit of advice when riding the ferry, if you ride on top you WILL get wet! once you arrive you are greeted by horse drawn taxis awaiting to take you to the hotel. The taxi is $4.75 per person anywhere you want to take it. You may also choose to walk to the hotel but be advised it is uphill all the way! As you pull up to the beautiful Grand Hotel you are in awe it is most impressive. You are greeted by the bellman. Check in is a breeze. Starting at 6 pm there is a cocktail reception, then dinner begins with wonderful 5 course meals, dessert to die for and unbelievable service! Also if you are concerned about the children and what they might eat, they have not been forgotten. There is a fantastic buffet set up just for them with mac n cheese, pizza, hot dogs, etc. and a dessert table with m&m's, gummy worms, cookies, Marshmallows dipped in chocolate and rolled in graham crackers, The views out the windows are spectacular. After dinner you can sit in the rocking chairs on the longest front porch watching the sunset over the Mackinac straights with the bridge in the background. Play games in the trophy room or go dancing to the live music. Don't miss out on the high tea in the afternoon it was a wonderful experience. The breakfast was also not to be missed. If you choose to stay here be prepared to be impressed and have a memory of a lifetime! I can't say enough about it. And most important thing of all is Don't forget the FUDGE!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank muralsbymichele
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The Grand Hotel gives you the experience of a Grand Hotel of the 1880's but with updated ammenities. The Grand Hotel is located on Mackinac Island, reachable only by ferry or charted plane. Mackinac Island forbids motor vehicles, instead relying on equine transportation by beautiful horses and carriges. This says it all about the Grand Hotel itself. The overall experience is to be transported back in time with the elegant personal service that implies. Drop off your luggage at the ferry check-in and it will magically appear at your room. The hotel dress code requires jacket and tie for public areas after 6 pm and Edwardian dress is welcomed on themed weekends such as "Somewhere in Time" or the Titanic. Dinning is an elegant experience and the High Tea should not be missed. Orchestra dancing is available every evening. This is your chance to be tuly pampered.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake to have beautiful views both day and night.
3 Thank Fred B
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The worst thing about a stay at the Grand Hotel, is that I have to check out and go home at the end! We have stayed as a couple on three separate occasions, and each time outshines the visit before. We also lengthen our stay each time we go. We came yesterday from a week-long vacation, which began with the Titanic package. We love how they offer extra nights at a deep discount, still including your meals.
I have become so spoiled by the service and attention to detail. We love the Grand, and will continue to find room in our budget to go every year. I just checked out yesterday morning, and already I am on their website, looking for other times we can go this year. We hope to bring our kids and have a stay in the summertime, when the pool is open. We have always come in May.
You could tell it was opening week, and that they were still working out some minor details, but a good portion of the staff has worked there for many years. We felt privileged to get to know a few of them as real people. The stories they share from their own countries are interesting and fascinating.
Our room was plush. Our service was divine, and we loved dressing up for dinner each night, although it does cut into your activity schedule for exploring the island. Since we extended our stay for a few extra days, we got to enjoy the night life and island clubs. We also had two separate days of exploring the island sights and trails by bicycle.
I could go on and on about every detail we appreciated. I do believe that everyone should stay here at least twice in their lifetime... I promise, the second time will be even better than the first!
Like I said at the beginning of this review, the only disappointment is that you eventually have to go home and fend for yourself again.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms have better views. Some have balconies. Ask at check-in. You never know!
1 Thank MichiganTraveller222
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I brought my middle school band to the Grand Hotel as part of Corporate Travel's "Discovery at the Grand" program, May 7-8. From the moment we stepped onto the property, my group was treated like royalty. Many of my students had never stayed in a hotel, let alone The Grand Hotel, and they were floored by this magnificient hotel. The service was amazing, our rooms were all beautiful and comfortable. Our entire group was so impressed by all the little details that the Grand Hotel prides themselves on. Many people told me that middle school students would be too picky to truly enjoy the fantastic food the Grand Hotel serves, and were they wrong! My students tried so many new foods that they had never considered eating, and LOVED it! The service in the dining room was like nothing any of our group had ever experienced and because of our wonderful experience at the Grand Hotel, many of my students later in life will remember this time and most like return as adult customers. I can not say "Thank You" enough to the Grand Hotel for being such wonderful hosts for a truly memorable event. I will be back with my family!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank flutediva3
GHKellie, Social Media Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
We have to thank you! You all work so hard to get this talented group of kids up here each spring and we always look forward to your visit. Happy to hear that a fun time was had by all and we look forward to seeing you next spring!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mackinac Island
#2 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#6 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!