Photos and the website are not able to do justice to the atmosphere, spectacular views, and truely special feel to this hotel. The staff are helpful, courteous, cheerful and precise. The decor is from another time and when experienced feels very different from the looking at pictures. My husband and I did not know quite what to expect. Highlights of the trip included a wonderful lunch at the pool bar, playing croquet on the lawn, tea in the salon complete with harp music, sunning on the porch, and meals in the beautiful dining room. Our room was exquisite with comfortable chairs, flowered accents and a spectacular view. There is a dress code after 6:30pm which adds to the tone. This seems to be a popular place for large family events like anniversaries etc. One should be prepared for a great number of children at this venue. For the most part this is not a problem. The children are well occupied with games and outdoor play. They are a charming addition to dinner with both the boys and girls dressed in their best clothes and using thier best manners. However, we were disappointed that children were allowed in the Terrace lounge which features a live band and is a wonderful space for dancing. There were a sizable number of adults, including us, who came to dance only to have the floor taken over by a number of twirling and jumping children encouraged by adoring parents and grandparents. This happened both nights but was much worse the second evening. Since dancing does not start until after 9:30pm it was unexpected to have children at this venue. At times any kind of adult dancing became almost impossible due to this behavior. I hope that the hotel reconsiders and makes this an adult only space. We did manage to dance in spite of the disruption and will likely return for the ballroom dance weekend. All of the music at the hotel is wonderful, adding to the atmosphere of quiet gentility. I hope everyone has an opportunity to step back in time through visiting this wonderful hotel. This is one place that is truely worth the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island