It seems almost pointlless to submit a review for the Grand Hotel. It has been a classic location for 125 years. We have stayed there a number of times during the past 25 yrs and its excellence hasn't changed. A few details have changed to keep it up to date but there is no aspect of this hotel that isn't excellent. Perhaps you could point to the lack of motorized transportation as a problem but we look at it as an opportunity to obtain the exercise that we always promise ourselves daily anyway. Do be aware that the carriage ride from your favorite ferry company to the hotel after you arrive (or back to the dock when you depart) is not free -- typically about $5 per adult. There is lots to do for adults or children without resorting to "forced" activities. The pool is fabulous, especially for the younger crowd. The golfing is outstanding. They had a terrific tennis coach who made our 7-yr old granddaughter remarkably improve in just two patient, thoughtful, challenging lessons. The food was fabulous. No repeated dinner menu items during our four day stay; many different, amazing choices. The breakfast buffet could not be beaten. When it comes to the room, their service reminds you of the way most other top hotels treated you in days gone by. Nightly bed turndowns with mints on your pillow. Clean bedding each day. Seems like this should be taken for granted but if you have stayed elsewhere, you know that cost-pressures typically have cut this out. Get there while it's still open this fall!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island