My family and I have visited Mac Island a number of times over the past few decades. Always fun if you are a sailor and enjoy the Mac Race. Remember there are no cars on this island, just horses and bicycles. This lovely, historic hotel is remote and sits majestically over the island as if it were holding court. It is old and they have tried very hard to update as much as they possibly can. The rooms/ beds are small and expensive; larger rooms with balconies are absurdly expensive. Only for the rich or those wanting to be viewed as rich. Yes the AC is very nice to have as open windows afford the aroma of horses - alot of horses. The Grand's famous porch is fabulous with its comfortable rocking chairs and large scale chess board; the Esther Williams pool was a bit of a disappointment, dirty and walled off. Grill/Food/ Bar Service at the pool was poor and very slow - unlike service anywhere else on the property. In fact, the service is what makes this place stand out; the staff is so attentive at every turn. The grounds are gorgeous and well kept. They have the processes down to a science - and that is so helpful. From the ferry to check- in and out...you do not need to lift a finger. Housekeeping is wonderfully attentive and the little extra touches are very nice and calming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island