“A Nice, Grand Place to Visit”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Chicago
“A Nice, Grand Place to Visit”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My family and I have visited Mac Island a number of times over the past few decades. Always fun if you are a sailor and enjoy the Mac Race. Remember there are no cars on this island, just horses and bicycles. This lovely, historic hotel is remote and sits majestically over the island as if it were holding court. It is old and they have tried very hard to update as much as they possibly can. The rooms/ beds are small and expensive; larger rooms with balconies are absurdly expensive. Only for the rich or those wanting to be viewed as rich. Yes the AC is very nice to have as open windows afford the aroma of horses - alot of horses. The Grand's famous porch is fabulous with its comfortable rocking chairs and large scale chess board; the Esther Williams pool was a bit of a disappointment, dirty and walled off. Grill/Food/ Bar Service at the pool was poor and very slow - unlike service anywhere else on the property. In fact, the service is what makes this place stand out; the staff is so attentive at every turn. The grounds are gorgeous and well kept. They have the processes down to a science - and that is so helpful. From the ferry to check- in and out...you do not need to lift a finger. Housekeeping is wonderfully attentive and the little extra touches are very nice and calming.

Room Tip: If you can bring your bicycles as it is very costly to rent - the farther you are away from the dock...
3 Thank JAM360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Korean first
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My family and I decided to stay at the Grand Hotel for our first time while we were on Mackinac Island. We have stayed at many of the other hotels on the island previously and figured it was about time we tried the Grand Hotel.

We booked our room by calling the hotel a couple months before our trip. We explained to them that we had 4 people and we would need four beds. The man on the phone said that we would be given a special room and we would be so impressed when we got there.

When we walked into the room, I can assure you our first reaction was not that of awe, more of disappointment. It was just one very large room with two beds. I went down to talk to the manager thinking we had been given the wrong room, but he assured me this was the correct room.

We had been completely misled by the man whom we had booked the room through on the phone, and two of us ended up sleeping on rollaway beds, that left us with sore necks and backs in the morning.

The manager did say that he would only charge us the price for a room cheaper than ours, but honestly we would rather have paid extra for a bigger room, than to have to stay in the small room, but the hotel was booked.

The front desk staff were completely unpleasant every time I had to deal with them, and as much as I loved the hotel, I do not think I would stay here again.

Other than the staff, the hotel was very lovely as everyone else has said, the dinner was excellent, and enjoying cocktails on the porch was a great experience.

1 Thank Bailey A
Reuver, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My family has been coming here every few years as a special treat splurge for years. It's still quite a blast from the past to visit there, but they've modernized it a LOT over the past decade or so. Thank goodness they have air conditioning now! Most of the guests are "old money" types of people and the place really has that feel to it, but I can still appreciate it for what it is: first and foremost, a historical landmark. The porch is incredible and there's nothing like sitting in one of the rocking chairs, sipping a drink and watching the ships go by. The rooms are hilariously, gaudily decorated, but that's part of their "thing," and each room has a different theme. The staff are extremely plentiful and helpful, everyone is very nice and accommodating. It's a bit of a hike to town, and if you're biking, you'll have fun getting back up the hill! The food is a league all its own. Breakfast and dinner are (I'm pretty sure) always included and the lunch buffet is optional. I would suggest only doing the lunch buffet once because you'll have SO much for breakfast and dinner there, it just gets ridiculous with the extensive buffet too. I never go down to the dining room for breakfast because their room service breakfast is seriously the BEST I've ever had, and I've been in top hotels all over the world. You can go crazy and choose all kinds of options (except for the main dishes; those are 1 per person) or simply one of everything and also order extra things that aren't listed on the menu - they'll bring it. And dinner is also quite an experience with course after course of incredible, world-class gourmet cuisine. After dinner, it's my favorite to go for a walk up the hill at the backside of the hotel, then sit on the porch for a while, then go and have a drink and dance a little in the jazz bar, then up to the Cupola Bar. Always love the Grand!

5 Thank AM S
Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We didn't stay here but we visited the beautiful porch of this historic hotel. We were able to sit and enjoy a cocktail while taking in the breathtaking views. Just great! We can't wait to visit and hopefully stay overnight and take in the ambiance of this great hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank William J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My family and another family stayed at The Grand Hotel the first week of August. Our children's ages were 8, 9 and 13 (2). At first, we had mixed feelings about the rooms, but we all became realistic that this is not a new hotel. Both of our rooms overlooked an alley, but we did book in June. However, the service, the experience and the food more than made up for the view from the rooms. The grounds are meticulously kept and the service was outstanding. The food was excellent and we all commented that we felt like we were on a cruise ship and back in time. The view from the large porch that is a trademark of this beautiful hotel was breathtaking. I would highly recommend enjoying a cocktail and the view in one of the rocking chairs on the porch. The experience at The Grand Hotel that my children had is something that we will never forget. Their pool was relaxing and wonderful. They also have tennis courts, croquet, bocci ball, golf. walking trails and bike rentals available. If you wish to dine less formally (coat/tie and dresses are required for dining room), there is a restaurant across the street that is part of the meal plan. This had to one of the best meals (though all meals were excellent) that we have enjoyed in a long time. The location of The Grand was within easy access of the downtown district. We enjoyed hours of biking, walking the downtown shopping district and a carriage ride. This was a wonderful trip that my family and I will remember and speak of for many years to come. It was an expensive trip, but one that created lasting memories. FInally, I would also recommend Shepley's Ferry Service to get you to the island. They were well organized and completely took care of luggage both to/from the hotel and back to your car.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and ask for a lake view (you will pay a premium for the view). Also, elevators...
4 Thank DeeM392
Mishawaka, IN
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We wanted to do something special for our 50th and The Grand Hotel got the nod as our destination. The Anniversary Package is a three night stay with breakfast and dinner each day (there is a dress code for the evening meal). When we arrived at the hotel we had special treats in our room: flowers,champagne, basket containing Grand Hotel Fudge, crackers and cheese.

The package includes: Afternoon tea one day, a one hour romantic carriage ride, and free admission to the Art Museum downtown.

On our first full day we joined Bob the Grand Hotel's historian for a two hour lecture on the history of the property. In the afternnon Bob took us up the hill to see the "cottages" on the west end of the Island. We were allowed to go into one of the cottages and tour the house. Very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Foodie219
Reviewed 28 August 2012

One of the grand hotels of a bygone era. The only disappointment was the sleeping accommodations. I had requested a Category III room with 2 beds. Apparently their idea of two beds is a queensize and a rollaway. I had booked the room nine months previous to arrival and called several times to reconfirm my request for 2 beds and was assured it was noted. Upon arrival and discovering only one bed, the front desk said rooms weren't assigned until check in, and that a 2 bed room was not available. Major letdown. They delivered a rollaway shortly thereafter.
The food was very good, although the dining room was always crowded and the noise level was higher than what I expected from such a refined establishment. Other than that, the rest of our stay was wonderful. The grounds were beautiful, and it was an easy walk to the shopping district downtown.
For the price, I'm not sure I'd recommend The Grand, unless one bed is all you need, as that's the only accommodation that is guaranteed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends