This is an excellent place to tour in October. We stayed with a package for two nights and five meals. The island itself is a great place to bike and tour, so we biked around and on the inner sides of the island as well. But the hotel itself is steeped in history and tradition. As with many of the hotels on the island, if you are looking for modern sleekness and state of the art, this is not for you. This has the feel of when it was built in the 1800s. Everything is a step back in time, in accordance with the island itself.
Mackinac Island is the only State Park with no entry fee, but I guess you could call the ferry costs the entry fee.
The Grand Hotel is a one time experience for us, as the costs are quite high for our taste. But they have enormous amount of staff and dining there was full of terrific wait staff. The food was excellent, although it is tough not to excessively eat. Plenty of courses and plenty of selections. Well presented, and the staff is right there for your every need. The patrons in our party all felt like we were on a huge cruise ship.
We decided try everything, gain a few pounds, and lose the pounds after our stay. We can all say we gained weight, even with the biking.
The outdoor whirlpool near the outdoor pool was terrific. The pool itself was closed for the season. We enjoyed the ballroom dancing in the evening as well. The rooms are fine, although if you plan on staying in your room all the time, you are missing out. The traditional rooms have thin walls, and sounds from other rooms do intrude, but we only used the rooms to read and sleep, so it didn't bother us. The island is the place to tour! We have been on the island before, so the carriage rides are fine, but we prefer biking around now, or walking.
Touring the hotel itself was fun, but the view from the porch is the best. Looking down on the Straits, with the Mackinaw Bridge to the right and the harbor to the left, was something. You could watch freighters glide by. You can't see main street, as the tree canopy allows your eye a natural view to the water over the streets of Mackinaw Island's downtown.
The rocking chairs are fun to sit in no matter what the weather. The sprawling porch and lounges always has the view. It is pretty amazing to see the island from this perspective. However, would we return? Not to stay, because the price is just not in our range. We prefer staying on Main Street is a smaller hotel or day tripping here, and staying off the island. It is too bad, as more people should be able to stay here just once for the experience, just to feel pampered once in your life.
Again, the service is top notch, the food is top notch, the view is tremendous, and the facility matches the decor of the island itself. But the price far exceeds the American dream. There should be some value weekends, maybe for middle class travelers with less staff on call, maybe? Just a thought.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island