“"Could not have been more perfect"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Oklahoma
“"Could not have been more perfect"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My first visit to Mackinac Island was May 2012 - stayed downtown and adored our hotel. Decided right then and there to return in the fall and bring my mother and father. While making trip plans, more than anything, I wanted to treat them to a once-in-a-lifetime stay in the Grand Hotel. It was so perfect!! So sweet to photograph them enacting the scene from "Somewhere in Time" where Richard and Elise were reunited.
The staff was attentive, the hotel impeccable, robes were divine, beds comfy. The history displayed on almost every wall is so interesting. I was compelled to write a thank you note months later and even received a reply. There are specials offered at different times of the year that can be taken advantage of to make the stay more affordable. We did the bed-and-breakfast special - thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet, possibly even more than the lunch buffet my friend and I experienced in the spring. The views from the banquet room are simply breathtaking. I had the highest expectations imaginable for our stay at the Grand Hotel and they were all met. Can hardly wait to take my granddaughter one day!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Korean first
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Mackinac Island is a very special place and this landmark resort is absolutely exquisite. The first time we went we stayed in a B&B in town ... meager but the town is so wonderful that I still loved the trip.
Going back we knew there was only one place to stay ... at least once. Excellent meals and all rooms are on the Modified American Plan which means breakfast and dinner are included in the price. Having lunch time to explore the island was just perfect. The choices for breakfast and dinner were overly abundant and everything was more delicious than the dish prior.
It is so elegant and takes you back in time. The ferry ride over is one of my favorite parts of the trip. Nothing is sweeter than eating Mackinac fudge and staying in the mansion on the hill. Since there are no cars, watch out for the "debris" left by ponies especially after a rain storm ... do not wear light shorts and flip flops!
The Pink Pony has the BEST chocolate martinis I have ever tasted!

Room Tip: very tiny rooms but the real joy is exploring everything outside of your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Atoz M
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Make sure you check your bill, they added so many fees onto our bill, that we paid more than twice the amount we were quoted. The hotel is nice, but it would have to be better than others for what we were charged, and it isn't the experience we were expecting. We were VERY disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
23 Thank Nancy W
GHKellie, Social Media & Internet Sales Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
We are sorry you had this experience. Please know we make sure our guests are aware of added taxes and fees upon booking a reservation. When booking a room online the guest must confirm the total before making their reservation where all taxes and fees are listed. All rates are listed in detail on guest confirmations as well as the registration card upon check-in. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this caused.
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I had first seen the Hotel, as many have, from the deck of the Ferry to Mackinac Island. Impressively positioned on the side of a Bluff, clearly large and stately.
My first visit was with friends who enjoyed it every bit as much as I, with a vow to return.
And return I have...

Room Tip: Arrive as early as possible (BEFORE Check-in ties) and ask for a room with a view of the Straits.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank TCMargaret
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I took my daughter and two grandsons, ages 10 and 13 to the Grand Hotel last summer. It was a wonderful 4 days and I cannot imagine what the hotel and staff could do any better. There is so much to do at the hotel itself that we did not even visit Mackinac the town until the day we were leaving the island. From the ferry trip to the hotel to the hotel itself, the views were spectacular. The horse drawn carriage was waiting for us to deliver us to the hotel. The food was delicious, many choices every night, 5 beautifully presented courses with no repeats. It was wonderful to dress at 6:00 P.M. every night for dinner and to sit on the grand porch to a fashion show presented every night by the guests. After dinner the ballroom would open, and my grandsons themselves enjoyed the dancing and even asked their mother and myself to trip the light fantastic. We all enjoyed ourselves so much, that the boys have been asking me if I would please take them this year for another treat of being at the Grand Hotel. From the grounds to the views, the beautiful huge Esther Williams swimming pool, it just cannot be beat. We will certainly try to get back there again this year. Thank you "Grand Hotel" for being so grand and for bringing the niceties of the past to this present time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank corny333
DeWitt, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is the ultimate in being away from home! If I could afford it, I'd stay a few times a year! We've taken our children, we took my parents for their 70th birthdays and we've gone as a couple - each visit was fabulous! Dressing for dinner was fun & special, the pool is awesome, the views - well, they can't be beat! We've always gotta outside rooms,every time - had a sweet for the 70th celebration. The food is delicious and there is always something going on not just at the hotel, but also in town.

Room Tip: If you're going to go, get an outside/balcony type room to fully enjoy the views - between the f...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SheriK2
Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Been several times. Will go back every couple of years. Nothing changes since they put heat and air conditioning in the rooms. (Yes, I'm that old.) Top notch everything. Not kidding about their "dress for dinner" rule! Can't imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

Room Tip: Go for a week if you play golf; otherwise 3-4 days at a time and plan to come back regularly.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!