“Grand Hotel a Perfect 10” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
west michigan
“Grand Hotel a Perfect 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

My husband & I just returned from a short stay at the Grand Hotel. It was beyond perfect in every way. Highly recommend all areas and experiences. The Main Dining Room is beautiful and the food & service is beyond excellent. We used Sheplers Ferry and they and the Grand Hotel handled our car (inside, secure) and our luggage to & from the hotel. Completely carefree travel.

Room Tip: Request a Lake view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Korean first
San Fran Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

We were here in late July for 3 days in celebration of my parent’s 50th Wedding Anniversary. Revisiting for the first time in over 20 years with my own daughter, I was quickly reminded how enchanting Mackinac Island is and magical the Grand Hotel is. The hotel grounds and view from the famous front porch are no doubt beautiful and the interior public rooms grand in wonderful old world way. Our days were structured around the dinner and breakfast provided (with room accommodations) in the colorful dining rooms each day. The service was great (loved Gary, waiter) and the food almost as good. What made the experience most memorable though were the kids getting up during desert each night to dance to the Swing Band. They had a blast!

If visiting with kids, you really must do the bike ride around the island and horse-drawn carriage ride as well as sample the local fudge fare. The pool at the Grand is very kitch in its datedness but the kids really enjoyed climbing on the giant snake they have in pool and the complimentary snowcone machine they have at poolside. The kids also enjoyed playing croquet on the front lawn. Strolling about the Grand property, you feel as if to be part of a painting from 100 years ago, “Somewhere (Back) in Time” indeed.

However, the downside of the property especially for the rates they charge here in the Summer, is that the rooms are just so antiquated and ours had little view of anything except for sky over hotel backside facility/parking lot. The bed linens were dreadful. The TV screen is also very small but at least the wireless Internet access worked well. They really need to update and upgrade the rooms. Also, while the dining room service was great, the front desk clerks could be a lot more welcoming.

Overall the Grand offers a wonderful family experience as long as you manage your expectations about the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at back of hotel with slit window view of sky over parking lot
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank polo-p
Dwight, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is my third stay at the Grand and it is always consistently excellent. They set the standard for excellence. From the behind the scenes crew that made my luggage disappear at the Ferry Dock and magically appear in my room by the time I got there to the crew that took charge of my bags the morning I left and made sure they got on the right Ferry (to St. Ignace) and everyone in between - they practice service with style and do it well! Yes, it is an old hotel (but very classy) and yes the rooms are probably not quite what you would get at an elegant downtown hotel and yes, it is VERY expensive, but every once in a while I feel the need to be pampered and this hotel anticipates your wants and wishes and delivers without question. Bottom line is that I love this place and can say nothing bad about the Grand Lady and it's incredible management and staff!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are the best...I have never had - nor would I really want - a room on the interior s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

One kind of a place! I can't compare it with nothing else.
Romantic, quiet hotel, with unique rooms!
A must go island and hotel. I liked the apartment.
The helpful staff in the concierge and lobby area. The meal deal when eating with children was very unexpected and welcome.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

With two visits to The Grand and Mackinac Island, I'd be first in line to return. My love affair with the Grand started with the release of the move "Somewhere in Time" so many years ago (1980). It took me 31 years to get to her and she didn't disappoint! It took some "pretty please" take me to Mackinac to get my husband (who knew nothing about the move or Mackinac) to gake me. I told him all about it but it wasn't until he stepped off the fairy and saw the horse carriage's and beauty of the Island that he turned to me and said "now I get it". He LOVED the sound of the horses in the morning making their "click clocking" sounds as they were headed down the hill to start their day. Their are no cars on the Island with the acception of Fire and EMS. All foot traffic and bicycle. The Hotel was just as it was in the movie. With both our stays, which were two years apart, we found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable. Be prepaired to eat well. The menu is a 4 day cycle of elegant and delicious formal dinning. Thank goodness for all the walking. Dressing up for dinner is expected. Dancing with a live "orchestra" type band after dinner is lots of fun. This is a family place. Stroll down the hill for the famous Mack fudge. Swim in the hotel pool. Let the kids loose on the front lawn of the hotel. Food places on the Island are all great. Take a carriage ride around the Island. The homes on the Island are fun to view. Reservations are required for the more upscalled resturants. I'm not done with The Grand or Mackinac. I will go again.

Room Tip: Make sure you set in advance your transportation to the ferry once your plane lands. The Stage Coach...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This was our first trip to the island, and we decided we had to stay at this famous hotel. It is a beautiful property, and we enjoyed the grounds. We were nervous about the rooms, having stayed in tiny rooms at other historic properties before. Fortunately, our room was more spacious than we expected. We had a double room, with plenty of room to walk around (which is helpful with children). The beds were comfortable and it was clean. The only drawback to the room was our view was of the interior side of the hotel, so we were looking out at other parts of the building and some less well kept landscaping. If we were to go again, I would probably pay the extra to stay on the other side with views of the water. But, this in no way ruined the trip.

The dining plan worked out well for our family. We could explore during the day and eat lunch in town. Getting dressed up for dinner was a nice experience, as we are usually more casual. We were not impressed with the dinner itself, though. The food was mediocre at dinner; nothing really blew our socks off. Our son was able to partake in the special children's buffet. The breakfast buffet was fine; lots of choices and good quality. We also did the afternoon tea one day. It was not quite as extravagant as other teas I have had at other hotels, but it was lovely. They were very accommodating of our son, which we appreciated. He was three at the time, and really wanted to try tea (probably because of the desserts). They brought him the childrens version which was perfect, and he really enjoyed it. The second night we ate at The Jockey Club, the restaurant by the golf course. The food, prepared to order, was delicious! We all loved our meals and were far more impressed with the food here than in the main dining room.

We were planning on using the pool, which we read was heated on the website. When we got there, it was quite chilly, despite being a warm summer day. Unfortunately, it was too cold so we left. The gardens are beautiful, and the famous front porch is incredible! A lovely place to enjoy the views and take photos.

We used the concierge to arrange a carriage ride of the city; this was a nice way to get a tour of the town and some history. We also visited the Grand Hotel's stables, just a short walk away. Since we also had a two month old baby with us, we did not use bicycles as many people do. We walked everywhere with our stroller, and that worked out fine.

We also found it very easy to use Shepler's Ferry, which works with the Grand. Since we were guests of the hotel, we were able to pull into their Valet parking area. The Shepler's staff took care of the luggage, we bought our ferry tickets, and we were on our way; very easy!

Overall the Grand was a great place to visit, and a "must-do" if you are a Michigander! I must also give our compliments to the staff, in all areas. Everyone was friendly and polite, and again, very accommodating with our two very young children. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you can, rooms with views of the water would probably be worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

My first visit to Mackinac Island was May 2012 - stayed downtown and adored our hotel. Decided right then and there to return in the fall and bring my mother and father. While making trip plans, more than anything, I wanted to treat them to a once-in-a-lifetime stay in the Grand Hotel. It was so perfect!! So sweet to photograph them enacting the scene from "Somewhere in Time" where Richard and Elise were reunited.
The staff was attentive, the hotel impeccable, robes were divine, beds comfy. The history displayed on almost every wall is so interesting. I was compelled to write a thank you note months later and even received a reply. There are specials offered at different times of the year that can be taken advantage of to make the stay more affordable. We did the bed-and-breakfast special - thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet, possibly even more than the lunch buffet my friend and I experienced in the spring. The views from the banquet room are simply breathtaking. I had the highest expectations imaginable for our stay at the Grand Hotel and they were all met. Can hardly wait to take my granddaughter one day!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Island House Hotel
Island House Hotel
#6 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!