“Everything you expect from a Grand Hotel”
Review of Grand Hotel

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Everything you expect from a Grand Hotel”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

From the moment you arrive on the island, its very well organized. We arrived at the docks and the employees said the luggage will be taken to the hotel. The Grand Hotel also has a carriage to meet you and to take you to the Grand Hotel about 6 blocks away. We have been to the island yearly and stay on the island however it was the first time we stayed at the Grand. We were here for the Titanic weekend. Arriving at the Hotel it is neat, clean and well organized. The ambiance of the place is something out of time that one can't explain. The lobby, the desk the overall atmosphere is great. The service is great from tea in the afternoon to coffee early in the morning to room service if that is your preference. There are plenty of activities around the hotel or going for a nice walk, shopping or taking a bike tour around the island. The Titanic weekend was our first and we had a great time and well worth looking into for first time travelers. The meals are exceptional from a wonderful breakfast through dinner. The service is exceptional and the selection for every discerning taste. We selected a room overlooking the water and had a nice balcony which was nice to enjoy the weather and relax and read the paper. The rooms are decorated individually and had all the amenities one would expect. This was the second weekend that they were open and some training of the staff was ongoing. The only comments I would make would not take away from the experience nor deter me from staying here in the future was a better trained staff to answer some of the questions regarding the menu selections. On two occasions neither server could tell us what the products were and just more attentive to ensuring coffee cups were kept full. The overall supervisor worked diligently to ensure the meals and experience were outstanding and he was a pleasure to see taking care of the needs of his customers. Again neither of these items would stop me from booking again, just notes about things that would help the next traveler. Overall this is a "classy Hotel" and well worth looking into for a Grand Experience.

Room Tip: We loved one that overlooked the water
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Korean first
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Lived up to its billing, everything we imagined and more. From morning coffee on the grand porch, to outstanding dining in the evening, this was an anniversary to remember. The staff are all efficient, friendly, and unobtrusive - there when you need them, but invisible when you don't. Accommodations were comfortable and what you'd expect from someplace this old, but so well maintained.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We planned a surprise stay for my spouse's friend's monumental birthday in July...what a fantastic stay! We had stayed on Mackinac before at another hotel (which was great), but the Grand is a one-of-a-kind. There is still a magical quality that you can experience here...we plan to go back and would like to spend 2-3 nights. There is so much to do, eat, experience on the Island and cannot say enough great things...service was beyond, food was great, the premises is just spectacular, although old, it's well-kept, and 5-star!!!

Room Tip: We recommend requesting a lake-view room on the upper floor...do not be surprised at the price...it...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We just returned yesterday from a long weekend at the Grand Hotel. We've been on the island many times, but never stayed at the Grand. The trip was a gift for my husband's birthday and we got a special deal that a friend turned us on to. Without the discount, we never would have done it. Seven hundred a day is just a bit out of our comfort zone. I do have to say, though, that with breakfast and dinner included and the fact that no tipping is allowed, you have to take that into consideration as a huge amount that you won't be paying out once you get there.
I'm a bit anal about planning, so it was frustrating to me that we had no idea what room we would be staying in when I made the reservation. I get it, though. We were using a deep discount, so they had to put us wherever there was availability. We lucked out, though and ended up in the Versailles Suite. Beautiful room on the 3rd floor with a lake view. It was kind of funny that we didn't even realize it was considered a suite until we noticed the sign above the door on our second day. Looking into some of the other rooms as they were being cleaned, we realized that our room was quite a bit larger. We had a fainting couch in our room that we put to good use since the view from it was amazing!
There were two small things that put me off during our stay and I'd like get those out of the way and then finish up with the positive things. One of our pieces of luggage went missing and when we went to the "luggage" office to check on it, the young woman there began to help us. A minute later two other staff members came in with gentleman who needed a suit jacket and tie for dinner. Well, all three of the staff, including the woman helping us, began to trip all over each other to help him and left us standing there as if we didn't exist. Odd. Don't know who the guest was, but he must have been someone extra special. Eventually we were helped and the bag was found very quickly. The other thing was how our request for a later check out was handled. Check out is at 11 a.m. and we asked for noon. We were told to return to the front desk in 15 minutes so the front desk staff could talk to a manager. Well, we were told we could do 11:30, but that noon would run us an additional $125!! Come on! For a half-hour? It was a Monday, so the hotel was not as busy as, say, a Sunday. On a Sunday, I wouldn't have even asked. So, a word of caution, when the website says they make every effort to accomodate later check-out, that is not true.......unless you have the cash. With both of these issues, you really got the sense that even though they say they treat guests exceptionally, in reality, they have their own culture and it's basically, "we are the best and we can do whatever we want." Hey, more power to them. Nothing I can say will diminish the allure of the hotel, but I just thought I'd point this out.
Okay, so everything else was amazing. The staff was great. I loved that most of them were from other countries. We spent a lot of time talking to staff about where they were from, how they liked being on the island.... Everyone seemed happy to be there. I would have to guess that they are trained really well, because no one ever didn't know how to answer a question. The food was great. We just did the breakfast buffet in the morning and it was very good, always well-stocked and you never had to wait long to get your food. The five course dinner each night was great, but I would stay away from fish if I were you. It's just hard to serve nearly 1,000 people each night without food cooling off a bit and the temp of the fish entrees was never hot enough. Each meal was a great experience. We just loved watching the choreography of the meal service. Very smooth, but a complete whirlwind at the same time. Very cool. We also had a drink at the Cupola Bar. The view is great, so it's well worth it. Did some dancing in the Terrace room. The band was wonderful! The last night we spent in the Audubon bar. Sit at the bar and talk to the bartender is my suggestion. Very relaxed and fun. It was a little cool so early in the season, but we did spend some time on the porch to soak up a bit of sun. We also had lunch at the Carleton in the hotel one day. Very good, but sit inside if you can. For some reason it's very breezy in the hallway where the is also seating. Oh, and there is a pretty decent fitness room near the pool - plenty of cardio and weight equipment If you are a runner, get up early at least one morning a take a run before the day-visit tourists arrive. The town is so beautiful and quiet. I only went as far as the Arch Rock, but enjoyed every minute of it!

Room Tip: If you can, try to get an even number room on the third floor. They face the lake and the view is a...
2 Thank leezee63
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 6 May 2013

What a beautiful hotel - a real trip back "somewhere in time". The Grand Dame is all one expects - except for the service. I made the mistake of going pre-season. I was informed many of the services would be unavailable but I didn't realize greeting guests cordially would be one of them. We were shown to a room below ground despite the fact that the 380 other rooms in the hotel were available and ready for guests. It seemed no one knew what was going on or could answer even the simplest questions.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mona P
GHKellie, Social Media & Internet Sales Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive the service we are sure you expected and your comments will be shared with our Management Team. Many employees were new to Grand Hotel during your stay, however, this is no excuse for poor service. We will use your comments to assist in training new staff, and we hope you will come visit again when things are in full swing.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife had always wanted to visit, so for our 25th anniversary, I booked a long weekend to celebrate. It was a themed Titanic weekend and package prices were offered which made visiting for the first time affordable. Almost immediately after booking in early January, I began reading online reviews. After reading some comments I considered to be questionable, I called the Grand and asked to speak to someone in management. I was concerned that our investment coupled with a 6+ hour journey would not be "worth it." The person I spoke to addressed each of my questions and assured me our trip would be special.
Indeed it has been. I write this review with one more night left because I didn't want to risk not writing something upon my return.
Our room with a view of the lake 358 is exceptional. Though the first weekend, everything is in top notch working order and is dare I say perfect. We've never stayed in a room as spacious.
The food has been incredible! For someone who likes to eat, I was concerned about portions and quality, considering the size of the hotel and amount of people present. I have zero complaints about the food. Every meal has been tasty and filling.
The service has been without question, the best my wife or I have ever experienced. From Matre Ds, Servers, table setters to management, everyone has been "annoyingly" friendly in a great and unexpected but appreciative way. Coming from the NYC area we are not used to such a level of consistent kindness, that everyone being so friendly all the time, seemed awkward - at first. For someone like myself who worked in the service industry for nearly 20 years, it has been an incredible experience seeing people work so hard with no expected return. Though "tipping" is not allowed / required, one can't but help feel guilty by not extending a gratuity..
The owners must be doing many things right to have staff return year after year and to have faithful customers look forward to their next trip. Today alone, we met a couple who was visiting for their 5th time in a span of one year and a waiter who was back for his 20th season.
We have had such a great time, we dread returning to reality.
However, we have had such a great time, we dread waiting to return.
Best wishes to anyone who chooses to come to the Grand Hotel. We hope your experience is as good as ours has been. And thanks to everyone on staff. Have a healthy and prosperous season.

Room Tip: Book early. Speak to a reservation specialist, and be nice! Everyone who works here tries incredibly...
west michigan
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My husband & I just returned from a short stay at the Grand Hotel. It was beyond perfect in every way. Highly recommend all areas and experiences. The Main Dining Room is beautiful and the food & service is beyond excellent. We used Sheplers Ferry and they and the Grand Hotel handled our car (inside, secure) and our luggage to & from the hotel. Completely carefree travel.

Room Tip: Request a Lake view room.