From the moment you arrive on the island, its very well organized. We arrived at the docks and the employees said the luggage will be taken to the hotel. The Grand Hotel also has a carriage to meet you and to take you to the Grand Hotel about 6 blocks away. We have been to the island yearly and stay on the island however it was the first time we stayed at the Grand. We were here for the Titanic weekend. Arriving at the Hotel it is neat, clean and well organized. The ambiance of the place is something out of time that one can't explain. The lobby, the desk the overall atmosphere is great. The service is great from tea in the afternoon to coffee early in the morning to room service if that is your preference. There are plenty of activities around the hotel or going for a nice walk, shopping or taking a bike tour around the island. The Titanic weekend was our first and we had a great time and well worth looking into for first time travelers. The meals are exceptional from a wonderful breakfast through dinner. The service is exceptional and the selection for every discerning taste. We selected a room overlooking the water and had a nice balcony which was nice to enjoy the weather and relax and read the paper. The rooms are decorated individually and had all the amenities one would expect. This was the second weekend that they were open and some training of the staff was ongoing. The only comments I would make would not take away from the experience nor deter me from staying here in the future was a better trained staff to answer some of the questions regarding the menu selections. On two occasions neither server could tell us what the products were and just more attentive to ensuring coffee cups were kept full. The overall supervisor worked diligently to ensure the meals and experience were outstanding and he was a pleasure to see taking care of the needs of his customers. Again neither of these items would stop me from booking again, just notes about things that would help the next traveler. Overall this is a "classy Hotel" and well worth looking into for a Grand Experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island