“It's Grand at the Grand”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
DeWitt, Michigan
“It's Grand at the Grand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have been fortunate to stay at the Grand Hotel on numerous occasions over the past five years. At the registration desk, the friendly staff greets you with a genuinely warm smile. Each guest room is different so each visit offers a new room décor and view. The dining room staff and food are excellent. The rooms are kept clean by friendly housekeeping staff. A large parlor area (and of course the world-famous porch) offer guests spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac, Mackinac Bridge, and Round Island Light. Sunsets and moonsets over the Mackinac Bridge should not be missed. The heated outdoor pool is HUGE! The pool and hot tub areas are well-maintained. The gardens around the hotel are beautifully manicured. There are planned activities throughout the day or enjoy the day on your own - rent a bike, take a horse & carriage ride, or relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the island from a white rocking chair on the porch. This is one hotel stay that should be on everyone's bucket list.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Denice S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We waited years to be able to stay at the Grand. When we were finally able to stay there it was a dream come true. It's just as beautiful as you can possibly imagine and is in fantastic shape for it's austere age. Since that first stay I have been fortunate to return to stay with my husband and then with best girl friends. No matter we have best service, the best times, and the best memories of the Grand and the Island. The service is always outstanding. They always try to accommodate. I'm ready to book for 2014!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Nancy R
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Go ahead and pay the $10.00 to get in. There is so much history, especially if you saw Somewhere in Time. The porch is one of the biggest you will ever see, and you are looking over Lake Superior. And then your entry fee goes toward a huge luncheon buffet!

6 Thank Misheidi
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Sunday Oct 28th to help close it for the 2013 season. We had a wonderful time. It was our first time staying at the hotel. We have been coming to the island for years but always stayed at other hotels or B&B. We attended the talk of the hotel historian. He was very entertaining. He filled us in on the history of the hotel. He talked about all the funny questions that have been asked over the years. The dinner and breakast buffets were excellent.
Sunday afternoon the porch furnitue was brought in with the help of who ever wanted to help. Monday morning the owner rang the bell ending the season. We are looking forward to returning again next year for one of their other great events.

Room Tip: ask for room overlooking the water
3 Thank vette079
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel is well worth a visit, but there are others in town that might make a better place to stay. The front porch is a beautiful place to sit. Especially in the evening watching the sunset. The dining room was a disappointment for our evening meal. It cost us close to $200. for two entres and wine. Our food was more like cafeteria food. The dining room is very large, very crowded and noisy. The waitstaff is mostly from South Africa and didn't understand our orders very well-and we were end of the season guests. HOWEVER Our breakfast was excellent. We did not do the buffet but ordered and it came out hot and was very good. Omelets, Eggs Bedicict, Smoked salmon, all were very good. If you go just don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

9 Thank drose007
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Planning a trip to Michigan, I found an October 2013 package being offered by the Grand Hotel. As a solo traveler, I planned on spending only a couple of days to experience this historic facility, and the price being offered made this quite acceptable. I made the reservation by telephone and made the mandatory pre-payment for two nights. I was told that a confirmation and packet of information would be mailed to me. It never arrived. I call the reservations department and spoke to someone who was quite rude and annoyed that I was requesting this information. I was told that it would be e-mailed to me. It never arrived. I then e-mailed the hotel, and finally a confirmation was received. But no information packet was sent.

As usual, for a solo traveler, the room assigned was in the back of the hotel with absolutely no view. My world-travel experiences have been that this is routine. I inquired at the front desk about the room, and was told that rooms are assigned arbitrarily (I don’t believe that for a minute) and that 50% have no view. So tough! This apparently was not going to be my lucky day. I pointed out that this was the off season, the hotel was not full, and that there were many keys showing in the room slots behind the reception desk. Surely there was a better room available. As I soon found out, at the Grand, you don’t question what the staff says. This is apparently a part of their superior, snobby attitude.

Also, unfortunately, what was included in the fall “package” was never communicated. So in ignorance, for example, I paid for admission to Fort Mackinac, and later found out that the entrance fee was pre-paid for Grand guests.

The food was excellent, although the portions were small. The dining room staff was efficient. When I asked for a window seat each evening (I always arrived early) I was pleasantly shown to one with no question.

The Grand is expensive and overpriced. A single cocktail or glass of “house” wine costs $12+. A bottle of water in the room is $7.50. There is an automatic $7.50 charge for baggage handling added to your bill, which is not disclosed in advance. When you arrive at the hotel, in the hotel’s horse drawn carriage, you find out that there is a $4.50 charge, payable on the spot. Very inconvenient to quickly dig out the fifty cents! Just make it $5.00 already! They do make it a point that tipping is not expected. But what would you tip for? Everything is pre-paid and there are no personal services offered that I could find. And finally, for tourists that would like to take a peek at this historic hotel, if you are not a guest, a staff member stands on the driveway ready to collect $10 per person for the privilege of putting a toe on the property. They don’t want the riff raff roaming about inconveniencing the guests. I can understand the problem, but $10 per person?

In my opinion (and not being judgmental), this is a hotel that would seem to be attractive primarily to people who are well-off and like cruise ship travel. There is the opportunity to have breakfast, look in the few shops on site, have lunch, play cards, have dinner, and then perhaps go to the ballroom to show off DWTS moves. I saw no hotel guests at Fort Mackinac and the town was abandoned. My impression is that the guests never leave the property, so this is the perfect place for that kind of experience. My guess is that for more adventurous types, this wouldn’t be the place for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
24 Thank Charles M
GHKellie, Social Media Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that you did not experience more of Mackinac Island, and feel it is not the place for the adventurous type. Mackinac has nearly 100 miles of hiking, biking and walking trails, bike and horseback riding, historic sites and acres of State Park. We hope you return in the future and have the opportunity to experience more of Mackinac.
Auburn Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a must for everyone's bucket list. It takes you back in time in a very elegant way. My friend and I had never been to the Island let alone the grandest hotel on it. (Pun intended). I saw an add for a special on a room at the "Grand" for two people $235.00 a night. This seemed outrageous but, after all this was the oldest most, beautiful hotel ever and it included dinner in the formal dinning room that included several courses, wine and dessert. I called the hotel direct and spoke to a wonderful lady who explained that not all the rooms had views, balconies or much at all but a bed and bath for that price. I was heart broken because I had imagined large airy rooms with antique furniture. She said because it was or first visit she would give us a suite for that price. It was everything I had dreamed of and more. We had a huge poster bed, beautiful tables, chairs and love seat. The bathroom was all marble and bigger than my living room. We dressed up, had drinks on the huge front porch in rockers, ate the finest foods, were treated like royalty and sat on our private balcony and gazed at the stars. They sent up a VCR and the movie Somewhere In Time. It was heaven! This was 15 years ago but, my husband and I visited recently and it is still breathtaking. We could not stay there this year but, one year again even if it isn't a suite.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 12 in Mackinac Island
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
#7 of 12 in Mackinac Island

Been to Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!