This is a great old hotel that still maintains the traditional style of a bygone era. Perched above the water with a commanding view of the Mighty Mac bridge, it's huge front porch beckons one to return to a more elegant time. The staff is friendly and attentive and extremely numerous. It's a very large place with a lot of people coming and going so people watching is great fun. That being said I found that upstairs was very quiet. I was on the 4th floor not too far from the Coupola Bar and never heard a noise all night! As far as the room goes, I have been in more elegant rooms (marble baths, fancy furniture) but this room was bright and cheery, yellow and green like a cute summer cottage. Extremely clean and fresh, that scores big in my book!
The dining room is enormous and well run considering the amount of people the serve at each meal. The food was fresh and well presented and the choices (especially at lunch) were mind boggling! All of this choice and attentive staff does come at an expense. I read a few reviews that seemed somewhat unfair to the hotel and staff. I'm not sure what the reviewers expected. As for me it was a pleasant stay and a check off on my "bucket list" . I hope to return some day to see more of the island's interior and would not hesitate to stay once more!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island