Grand Hotel
Island House Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$187
  • Pool
Harbour View Inn(Mackinac Island)
US$238
US$220
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Lake View Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$395
US$365
  • Breakfast included
The Inn at Stonecliffe(Mackinac Island)
US$249
Murray Hotel(Mackinac Island)
US$279
US$243
  • Restaurant
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa(Mackinac Island)
US$299
  • Spa
Hotel Iroquois(Mackinac Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,770 results
All reviewscupola barcourse dinnerno tippingthe main dining roomjockey clubgrand experiencebucket listlongest porchhigh teaonce in a lifetimedress codecoat and tiecelebrate michiganpecan balllunch buffetcruise shipterrace room
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have stayed at the Grand Hotel a number of times. The service has been A+, plus eating there has been a joy. Carriage ride to the hotel, the driver said we needed to pay at the end of the ride. Later we found out we did not have to pay, since we were guest. Check in was fine, staff was very pleasant. Our room was on the first floor room 25, it looked at the back of the hotel. We had bought a special package so we knew we wouldn't be getting a room with a view. Every room at the Grand is decorated differently. Ours was the worse we have ever stayed in black and white wallpaper, along with green and red bedding, just kind of gave it a weird look. Certainly not one of our favorite rooms. We took our grandson along for his first visit. Hotel is always a nice time. Dinner was not included in our package. Dinner was 79.00 for each adult and 29.00 for the child. It was not a good value. My husbands soup was cold, the salad because of the greens they used, was very hard to eat, the beef dish we got was just very dry. The beef was almost uneatable I didn't eat most of mine. The vegetables was a combination of red and green peppers,and brussel sprouts . My husband liked his desert. I got the bread pudding, it was so sweet you couldn't eat much.My soda was added cost of 3.76. The children get a buffet, the grill cheese on the buffet was so hard you could not eat it. I tried. He loved the gummy worms. When you look at the cost of this meal it was just not worth it. We may stay at the Grand again, but with the cost of eating dinner there probably is out. We did have two breakfasts there and they were good. How can you destroy breakfast? It was a disappointment. Please do go and experience Mackinaw Island, it is a magical place. The cost of our room for two nights was 693.60 for three people. There are lots of other places to eat and stay on the island. The fudge is really good. We took a private carriage ride around the island with Rachael, She did an excellent job keeping our 10 year old entertained. We ate at the fort one day, and that was very good. We got a sandwich, which my husband and I split because it was so large. We rented bikes, and rode for about an hour. Long enough for a 10 year old, and two people in their 70's. We went swimming, or I should say our Grandson went swimming, it was very cool for us. The water is heated, if the air had been warmer it would have been top notch. It is a wonderful pool. Many conventions held at the grand, so some nights the porch was not available because receptions where held there. Sometimes even weddings are held on the porch. If the meal had been excellent, then maybe spending 185.50 for a meal would have been worth it. However, we sure didn't think this meal was worth that cost. Enjoy travel, there are so many wonderful places to see, so little time, and so little money.

8  Thank Beckfest
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is still Grand because of it's history but has seen some better times. This past weekend was not my first stay but may be my last for some time. The quality and service as dropped a bit in the past decade and it is missing the same class and style it once had. The sofa's in the hallways were worn and the back of our bathroom door was badly chipped and missing paint. The room had cobwebs and our ice scoop was dirty. The dress code is not being enforced and the standards of the hotel have seemed to have drifted with it's laxed enforcement. I no longer feel this is worth the price tag associated with it.

2  Thank Colleen H
GHKellie, Social Media Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review, it is reviews like yours that help us to look at areas that may need a little work. We do hope that you return in the future, and that we continue live up to the expectations that you have.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was all I hoped for, and more. From the moment we got to the Island, until the day we left, it was an experience of a lifetime. The ambience was as if I had gone back "Somewhere in Time". It was amazing. A trip to treasure.

Room Tip: I believe there is no bad room. We had the Jane Seymour Suite. Gorgeous. Fantastic view of the front grounds, lake and village.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine M
GHKellie, Social Media Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We hope you don't wait 33 years to visit again. :o)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

What a special place! From being picked up at the pier in the special horse and carriage, to an amazingly quick check in, to colorful, classic rooms, to dressing up for dinner and being treated to five star service and five star cuisine. This is just an experience for at least once in a lifetime, but once you experience the Grand, you want to come back. This was our second visit for just this reason. A couple of suggestions. Take the carriage to the Woods, a restaurant owned by the Grand a charming 20 minute ride through the woods for a drink and a round of duck pin bowling. What? Take the kids, trust me. Then the orchestra starts about 9:00 and it feels like the Dirty Dancing scene from the movie with all generations dancing together to classic big band era songs and top 20 hits. The kids will love it. The pool is huge with 2 hot tubs and free snow cones. There are so many other small details, from giant chess and lawn games to high tea and harp concerts. What? Plan on 2-3 hours for dinner and 1 for breakfast, and always order off the menu, you can always make a trip to the buffet for free on top of your entree. Make sure to order a side of bacon, yummy. Dinner is amazing, soups and appetizers will fill you up but oh goodness, you will love the entree. Breakfast and dinner are part of your stay, so enjoy. Then enjoy a drink in the Cupola bar with a Michigan sunset, just perfect. The Grand is just unique, and everyone should go, at least once, and you'll be back.

Room Tip: The named rooms are special, ask for a room with a balcony for a view you wont forget.
3  Thank wysfam
Reviewed 22 June 2014

And it is an experience. The place is beautiful! You are catered to and treated like you were special. It must be something to experience this day in and day out like the rich. Being middle class we were blown away. The employees just waited to take care of you. All you have to do is look like you needed something and they would appear to see what you needed.

Cheap? No! Did we care? No. I loved our visit from the minute we stepped into this little world.

The meals are something! First time in my life I had chilled soup, delish, I even had escargot. The evening meals were 5 course and so pretty to look at and most of the time is was very good. The breakfast buffet was large and very tasty. The employees were friendly and we had good service overall. There was a dress codes for evening. Some dressed up and a few were poorly dressed, mostly you dress like going to church and you were fine.

I sat on the porch several times. My favorite was the warmest day of our stay. The idea in my head before coming matched the experience I had. Glass of wine and sitting on the porch looking at the water, unbelievable!

They play music off and on during the day. The harp was beautiful, filling the air with magic. She played Danny Boy and it made me tear up. I can't explain what this experience met to me. My husband enjoyed it to but he did this for me. We celebrated our 34 anniversary while there, it was special.

We walked down to the pool area, the pool was not open, it was still pretty cold while we were there. They had the hot tub going but we did not try it. I do not see how handicapped people can make it down all those stairs. Maybe there is a way around it.

The employees come from all over the world. My understanding is they fly themselves there from where they live and enjoy working during the summer. They are under contract and have to work the season. They work hard and seem to enjoy it.

We stayed 3 nights. Our room was so pretty and no wallpaper. We had a window with the view over looking the pool and bay. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had everything you needed. I will say that if you had someone next door you could hear them pretty well. That was the one downside to our room.

Overall we enjoyed our visit. We came at the start of the season so there were not a lot of people and the weather was chilly. If I ever get the chance to come again I would put it's over 1000 miles from home and the world is a big place to see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple