I didn't stay here, but paid a fee to enter just to see the place and sit on the largest porch in the world! It was pretty cool. The interior is very gaudy. And there's even a room dedicated just to dog shows. So it's pretty over the top. But there are a lot of beautiful paintings and odd furniture and photographs and history from the hotel's past.
And the porch is very relaxing. We played chess on one of those life-size boards and then had some good iced tea and other drinks. We left on a horse-drawn carriage, which I thought was the best part! I wouldn't stay here, because the fees are astronomical. But it's a pretty quirky, weird place to see.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island