If you are looking for an escape, this is the place. Starting with horse drawn carriages to bring you to the hotel. When you arrive, the hotel staff immediately waits on your every need. The room we had was beautiful with an amazing view of the lake and Mackinac bridge. I understand some of the rooms on the inside are small with not much view, but that's fine. Like Disney you aren't here to sleep. The food was delicious and table service terrific. There is no tipping on grounds which is very relaxing. There is music in almost every room with a ball room dance in the evening. Make sure to bring formal wear for dinner and anything after 6:30pm. There is a strict dress code for parts if the hotel. Very fun place yes pricy, but like Disney, they make it worth every penny. This will be a yearly adventure for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island