I want to start by saying that we came here on a whim and scheduled our stay about a week in advance because a special price popped up on facebook. It ended up being $127 per person rather than the $225 or more that is usually is. We jumped on the opportunity as I have been wanting to stay here FOREVER and it was totally worth it!
When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and given information about our room, dinner and breakfast. We had our bags tagged from the ferry so they were delivered right to our rooms, such a great idea since I didn't want to drag our bags all over the island. You are given 'cards' to carry to confirm that you are guests of the hotel, we were never asked to show the cards except at dinner and breakfast.
Our room was ADORABLE with two canopy covered beds as well as comfy chairs and a mini bar with items to purchase. The wardrobe was large and held a ton of stuff and the room itself felt like a great size, not too small. The bathroom was perfect (although I forgot to take a picture) It was tiffany blue with a tub/shower combo and a large counter space with sink. I really liked everything in our room.
When we first arrived, we went to take a quick swim because it was a warm day. When we got to the pool it was pretty crowded with kids. I wouldn't really expect anything else though, it is the summer and many families are on vacation. My husband and I just went to the deep end where there were only two kids swimming in the corner, and there was room to put our stuff on chairs by that side of the pool. They had sno cones for free in the pool area and towels were available at the desk in the pool house. There are showers in the bathrooms by the pool.
The walk to the pool is a little long, not in a bad way, you just have to walk past people playing bocce ball, we didn't play but it looked like fun.
After swimming we went to freshen up for dinner and arrived at dinner around 6:40pm. There were not a lot of people there at that time! I sort of thought you had to arrive on time, but it was nice to eat in a not so crowded dining room. We had one of the photographers take our pictures and they said they are available to view the next day (we completely forgot to see it) and then headed in to eat. Our food was wonderful, very delicious and the sommelier was very helpful in our wine selection.
After dinner, a harpist played in the lounge outside of the dining room and many people sat on the porch. It was very relaxed!
Our bed was very comfortable and we had a great night sleep, I didn't hear a lot of noise from other rooms or out in the hallway.
Breakfast was wonderful, you could either get the buffet or order from the menu, we ended up ordering and our items were delicious and delivered to us quickly.
Checkout was a breeze, our bags were picked up from our room and delivered to our ferry and we just cleared our purchases before we left.
I would definitely stay here again although I am not sure if I could pay the full price!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island