First, understand that this experience is all about sitting in the main parlor of the Grand Hotel and NOT for the quality of the High Tea. If you are going and paying for a High Tea experience, you should save your money.
The Grand Hotel staff is a mess. Sure, they are friendly and from around the world, but we were approached 6 times by 6 different people to place an order. This was clearly a mess. Also, the seating is open, and a free-for-all. Get there early.
The tea service? Luke warm English Breakfast tea (no choices), a plate of stale finger sandwiches, a tiny scone that had been refrigerated, some assorted mystery sweets, some whipped cream (instead of clotted cream we guessed) and a jar of preserves we couldn't use, as there was nothing on the plate to put jam on. The service also comes with champagne or aperitif.
If you have ever attended a High Tea before at a luxury hotel, you'll quickly realize this is a McDonald's version of that experience.
As I mentioned, this was a huge disappointment, and certainly not worth $30 per person... but this was really about visiting the Grand. It's my guess the folks at the Grand know this.
If you want a better experience, find a pair of rocking chairs on the porch and enjoy their bar and snack service. We had cocktails and a cheese/charcuterie plate that was terrific. Money well spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to America’s Summer Place. Every year since 1887, Grand Hotel has welcomed guests and families to Mackinac Island, where cars are not allowed and bikes and horse drawn carriages are the favored modes of transportation. As Travel + Leisure’s 500 World’s Best Hotels and Conde Nast Traveler's Top 5 Midwest Resorts in 2012, Grand Hotel offers outstanding accommodations where no two guest rooms are alike. Enjoy spectacular views of the Straits of Mackinac in a rocking chair on the world’s largest porch,complimentary children's programs, The Jewel golf course, swimming, tennis, lawn games, gardens, bicycling, carriage tours, shopping, Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor, and an experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U. and TravelClick so you can book your Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Mackinac Island Michigan
- Grand Hotel Island Mackinaw
- Grand Mackinac Island