“Nice restaurant, good food, service underwhelming...”

The Woods Restaurant
Price range: US$9 - US$42
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located a short horse-drawn carriage ride into the wooded interior of Mackinac Island. The opulent Tudor mansion with Bavarian charm provides for a delightfully casual dining experience. Test your skill on America’s oldest operating duckpin bowling alley. Enjoy before and after dinner drinks at Bobby’s Bar opening at noon daily.Woods Restaurant will open for the 2013 season on Friday, May 24th.Lunch 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Serving boxed lunches and hot dogs during the day.Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.Dress code is casual. Reservations are recommended for dinner. To reserve a table, call and ask for Woods Restaurant.Overnight guests of Grand Hotel on the Modified American Plan receive a $20.00 per adult credit towards the food portion of their bill. There is tipping at Woods.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I would go back to this restaurant during future trips to Mackinac. The food was good and the restaurant had nice ambiance. Make sure to check out the bowling and have a drink at the bar after dinner. The one complaint that I have is the service. I asked our waiter, Baldwin for his recommendation on three different entrees. He quickly recommended the most expensive entree but did not elaborate. I then asked him to describe the dishes and asked why he made the recommendation that he had made. Unfortunately, he was not able to give me an adaquate description of any of the dishes. It also seemed like he needed some more training on wine. Maybe there was just a cultural disconnect but I think a little training could go a long way. Overall, the restaurant was good and I already recommended this restaurant to my mom. I enjoyed the "taxi" ride through the woods on the way there and back, what a fun experience!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Here is a BIG NO for Mackinac visitors....Do not miss The Woods! Located in the interior of the island, one travels by horse drawn carriage. It is a beautiful old Tudor mansion. Overall, the experience is superb. Food and service are excellent. It is the best thing to do on the island.

1  Thank Ogadoo
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you're staying at the Grand Hotel or just visiting the Island, try to make it to Woods at least once for dinner. It is on the back side of the Island so plan on taking a taxi and making reservations is best. The restaurant is beautiful, unique, and far removed from the hustle and bustle of the down town area. After dinner visit the bar and try a game of Duck Pin Bowling, which can be vastly entertaining for both kids and adults. I highly recommend this restaurant as a dining option for any guest staying at the Grand Hotel.

1  Thank kenijo_crazy
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Was a fun Mackinac Island Experience. The food was good, not great. The atmosphere was unique. The service was top notch, and besides 100% proper wait service, our waiter, Lawrence, was over the top great guy. The cost of the taxi ride to the restaurant adds to the cost, but the ride back, in the dark, with incredible views, was the highlight. Disembarked on return at Grand Hotel and soaked up atmosphere in the lobby; another bonus.

Salmon appetizer was great, whitefish entre was average; veal entre was very good (and plentiful), vanilla donut with salted caramel ice cream dessert was excellent. Overall, would recommend the experience and a nice Mac Isle adventure.

1  Thank bjs119
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a nice place to have our anniversary dinner, but it was so hard to tell which restaurants were actually nice since all of them had such exorbitant prices. The reviews were great for the Woods so we decided to give it a try.

The only possible downside to the Woods is that it's actually in the woods so we rode our bikes out and back in the dark. We thought it was quite the adventure though! We also were not disappointed by this place! The dining room was beautiful, and the service was absolutely excellent. Our food was fabulous too!! One of the best meals I've had in a while. I had the half chicken and my boyfriend got the sausages. All-in-all, a FANTASTIC experience for the same price as all the casual restaurants on the island.

3  Thank 934melanied