“8 mile”

Mackinac Island Bike Shop
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband and I rented bikes to ride around the island. It is affordable and an unique way to see the island. The ride around the complete island is eight miles which is on a trail and is an easy ride.

1  Thank lmk413

Reviewed 11 July 2013

It was my favorite part of visiting the Island (except for how Shepler's Ferry took us under the bridge!). 2 adults and 3 tween girls had a priceless time at around $80. The guys outfitted us with the perfect bikes. My husband wishes he would have skipped the mountain bike and embraced the cruiser (like mine). The cruiser was cheaper and more FUN! My only concern was helmets. We got sent out on the road without them (BUT got a water bottle in each basket, PERFECT). I asked but it was a kind of shrug ... your choice thing. I did enjoy riding around without them but would play it more safe next time IF it's more into the season. We went on June 24th and it's just BARELY pre-season. The streets get a LOT more crowded and I'd definitely have a helmet on in peak season. (Being from Oregon area, it was WEIRD not to have one since they are MANDATORY here.) The fresh lake breezes in our faces, the sun on our hair, peddle peddle peddle and ccccooooaaaasssssttttttt, the rock stacks people have made, the stops to see sights, bring a packed snack and take a rest, the fellow travelers on horses, carriages (private) and other bikes (look out for the tandems ... they have less control), the bridge coming into sight around the corner, back in to town and the feel of walking again throwing you off....it's all heaven. The 7ish miles go by fast and will be a memory forEVER. Memories flooded me as I road. My teen years with friends, staying too late on the island and those COLD wading breaks. Nothing makes you feel young like riding around the island! JUST DO IT!
Bottom Line: Look at it this way, take the fudge money and put it toward a healthy activity. Don't worry about the $, just GO!

3  Thank caringcustomer
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We rented for four 7 speed bikes to ride around the island from the Mackinac Island Bike Barn. We got there around 7:10 pm and they close at 8pm. The usual rate is $7 an hour but they have a special at that time of night for $14 per bike and you can have them to midnight. We just brought them back when finished and locked them up. What a blast. We rode all over the island and being later in the evening the streets were not as crowded. We definetly got our monies worth.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Bike rentals are everywhere on the island. Many of them are the same company with multiple locations. The actual Mackinac Island Bike Shop is a good choice. They offer good bikes and include baskets and water for free. Be sure to decide as a group where you're going before you take off on the main drag. It's very busy and too hard to talk when you're in that busy area. Once you're out of town it's easier to talk while you ride. Watch out for horses and pedestrians. I've found that the walkers are more unpredictable than the horses and have a bad habit of stepping out in front of bikes. I'm surprised more people aren't hit. Be sure to get a bike with a rear fender. It will prevent things from being thrown onto your back by the tire, and you'll find yourself going through puddles on the road even on a sunny day.

2  Thank rameyfamily
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My family rented a tandem and 2 women's bikes. The line was long but moved along. I would suggest getting your bikes early, do all of your biking, then return and do your shopping. There was literally a sea of people and bikes as soon as you get off the ferry but once you leave Main Street the bike path is beautiful. We appreciated the water they gave you and the prices were inline with other companies. It was a lot of fun for the whole family.