“cruise the island in style”

Mackinac Island Bike Shop
Ranked #1 of 14 Shopping in Mackinac Island
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Riding around the island is a must! If you want to enjoy the views from the island there is really no better way then on a bike. When my husband and I visited the bike shop the terms of the rental were clearly explained. We had a variety of bikes to choose from. We opted for the single cruiser bikes with wide, cushy seats and baskets. The Bike Shop gave us each one bottle of complimentary water. We were told the average trip around the island at a leisurely pace would take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. The total distance around the outer bike trail is 8 miles. However there are many other trails for biking and hiking you can enjoy. The Mackinac Island State Park is gorgeous and well maintained. My husband and I made several stops around the island including Arch Rock, Skull Cave, and Lookout Pointe. There were also a few places that provided snacks and drinks. We spent a total of 3 hours on the bikes and loved it. It should be noted that bikes are only allowed in the street and not along sidewalks. There is a lot of foot traffic during the tourist season and I imagine accidents are not uncommon. Many people use the bikes all day to get around and therefore you'll see bikes outside every shop and attraction. The island does provide many places to park your bike. My only problem was that most of the rental bikes are identical and it can be hard to tell one bike from the other. My husband memorized the ID # on his bike. Riding around the island was fun and a little bit of work. There were a few hills I had to get off the bike and walk but it was all in good fun.

4  Thank MonaQS

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We happened upon this bike rental company and could not have had more luck. The owner greeted us out front, he actually knowingly made less money on our bikes once he understood our goals for our trip. His tips on how to break up the tour of the island were spot on. He gave us little known destinations to ride past. With a free basket, a free map, a free bottle of water and great advice from someone who cared about his customer first, and our impression and experience on the island more than making an extra dollar himself, how could you ask for anything more. We took the bikes around the 8 mile loop with a stop at Arch Rock the first day. On the second day went up past the Grand Hotel and into the interior spots of the island near the Woods restaurant. The ride or should I say coast down the hill from the Grand Hotel made us feel like kids again. Don't miss out on taking both routes if you can do it. Have fun!

2  Thank gelacor
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great ride. I love Trek bikes so we go to this bike shop only. The bikes are well kept and clean. The seats they use are more comfortable than most. We use them every summer. I recommend them to everyone I know. Also I have some difficulty getting a bike but the design of Trek bikes work we'll for me.

1  Thank shecky478
Reviewed 4 August 2014

They look at you and know the size of bike you need. They are in perfect condition and seem well maintained. Be aware the clock starts running the minute you rent the bikes. We rode around the island and it took us 45 minutes the first day and 50 minutes the second day. Even though you rent for an hour they give you 15 minutes grace.
Note: They take your credit card and run a $1.00 hold and you have to give them your card again to actually pay as the amount of time you use isn't known until afterwards. When you are done, they take your bike quickly from you and you are done. Reservations are not needed as there are many places to rent.
Use caution riding as there are many riders who quickly slow or turn around all of a sudden so do not go too fast. We talked to a local policeman and he told us the ambulance runs are typically for bicycle accidents and he went on to say they have about one casualty a year from them on the island.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We rented bikes here and even with a huge amount of people the service was fast and friendly-the prices were not bad. We rented several bikes and one amigo (electric scooter). Had a really good time and when we returned them it was also very fast. They are next to Shepler's ferry dock.