“Amazing”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Washington
“Amazing”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel took great care of us as my fiance told them he was planning on proposing. We had a beautiful suite with plenty of windows overlooking the lake. There is a bright pastel theme throughout the hotel, and the room was very pretty and clean. The location is on the edge of the part of the island with all the stores and ferries, so you're close to the shops but still have some quiet. The staff was very helpful and even wrapped up my bouquet of flowers so that I could take it back on the ferry. There's a continental breakfast every day with fresh baked goods; tasty! It was an amazing experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank interviewtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, chose Hotel Iroquois for our Mackinac Island stay this month from reviews on Trip Advisor. To be honest, we wanted to stay at The Grand Hotel since everyone says that's "THE" destination. However, we were soooo glad that The Grand was both a huge expense and solidly booked for our weekend get-away as we LOVED Hotel Iroquois and could not imagine being happier with a hotel choice! Our first surprise was how convenient the hotel was once we stepped off of the ferry. We turned to the left and a few shops down stopped to ask for directions to the hotel. The owner said, "Look out of that window," and to our surprise, the hotel was a few yards away! Hotel Iroquois is a lovely turn-of-the-century hotel (named, I understand, after a Chicago hotel in which the owner survived the great city fire) with decor of that period (Someone called the decor "seedy" and several others complained about the floral designs, etc.----Honestly, don't stay in a period hotel if you don't appreciate that period of history!). My husband and I booked a cut-rate room on special for Mothers' Day weekend and didn't expect to get the really lovely room that we got-----king bed with a magnificent view of the Lake Huron. Our friends traveling with us splurged a little more and booked a room in the tower-----OMG! It was totally amazing with a panoramic view of the docks and the lake and a sitting room in the tower to enjoy. We took full advantage of that for happy hour since we had several bottles of wine from visiting wineries on the mainland. Their room also had champagne and fudge awaiting them! Again, though, my husband and I were still thrilled with our gorgeous room for half the price. The rooms were spacious and spotless; bathrooms were nice and offered amenities; beds were comfortable; and the views were just spectacular. We enjoyed the parlor in the mornings for breakfast (fresh breads and pastries with juices and coffee) where we met other couples and chatted about our travels. The hotel staff members were helpful and courteous. Even the housekeeping staff always acknowledged us in the hallways. We were just ahead of the high season so the restaurant was days from opening----too bad! All we had to do was step out of the hotel for shops and restaurants. We did tour The Grand Hotel----worth the ticket to see, and also rented bikes just down from our hotel to ride the 8 mile road that runs all the way around the island. I hadn't ridden a bike (other than at the gym) in years, but loved doing that and seeing 360 degrees around the island. By the way, someone from the hotel brought our luggage from the ferry to our hotel room (There are no elevators, and we were on the 3rd floor.) and came back and retrieved our bags and checked them onto the ferry for our departure. It doesn't get any easier than that!!!!! Obviously, we loved this hotel and our island experience and will stay at Iroquois again if we are lucky enough to return to Mackinac!

Room Tip: If you want to splurge a bit, go for the tower rooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cheryl S
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Iroquois from May 14th - 16th. This is a truly beautiful property. Our room had two queen beds and it had a lovely view of Lake Huron. The turn-down service was an unexpected treat. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. My only complaints were not enough bath towels and one of the lights on either side of the bathroom mirror needed a bulb...it was burned out. However, both of these issues, I'm certain, would have been remedied quickly had I said something to the front desk employees, which I forgot to do, which tells you how inconsequential it was. The bathroom had a swing-out magnifying mirror mounted on the wall which was fantastic for putting on makeup, and a blow dryer. It was a tad chilly on the island when we visited, and the heat in the room was more than adequate. This hotel has a complementary continental breakfast with coffee and muffins as well. I have stayed at The Grand Hotel, and I actually like this property better. Kudos to the staff!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rita K
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed at several hotels on Mackinac Island. Hotel Iroquois is by far the best! Start with the cleanliness, by far the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at-anywhere. I tried to find dust in the corners...not a chance would love to know their secret.
The staff is superb, reminiscent of how customer service and attention to detail used to be.
Relaxing in the many sitting areas is refined and elegant. Morning coffee...perfect.
The beds were cozy and comfortable, add the water lapping the shore beneath you for the perfect nights sleep.
I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to the most discriminating traveler!

Room Tip: Any room on the third floor that faces the water...spectacular view! NOTE: no elevator, just stairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mradecky
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

A friend recommended this as an alternative to the Grand; what a mistake.
First the positive: Location.
Now the negative: 1.) Dining Room; The food was overpriced, and not very good. How something can be burned and served cold is beyond my comprehension. One or two bites of dinner is all my family and I could stomach. My daughter complained for two days of abdominal pain. No surprise to learn that their "chef" was formerly employed at Ralston Purina because this is basically what is being served here. It is a pretty harsh indictment of Michigan in general and Mackinac specifically if this is what passes for cuisine.
2.) Hotel Room: Seedy. Noisy.
3.)Service: Indifferent and patronizing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Diane7047
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Have stayed at the Hotel Iroquois for the past 2 summers with my wife and 2 children. The hotel is impeccably clean and well taken care of. Have stayed in the Lighthouse Suite both times, which is spacious enough for my 2 young children. The porters are great, but the front desk staff is not particularly friendly, which I always suspected was due to the fact that we were much younger than the average guest, which appears to cater to the 50+ crowd; I should have realized this when I received a call after booking the suite from hotel management, alerting me that there was no elevator in the hotel and that the suite was on the 4th floor of the hotel, and if walking up 3 flights of stairs would be a problem for us. Always felt we got the stink eye from the front desk staff when we walked into the hotel. I actually received a call from the front desk at 400pm in the afternoon complaining about the noise from my children moving around our suite. The onsite restaurant is amongst the best on the Island. All is expensive of course, but it is Mackinac Island after all. I really do like this hotel, and would likely stay here again, but not with kids.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank MZE-N-BLU
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We ended up choosing this hotel after we discovered that the place we usually stay was completely booked for the weekend we wanted to visit Mackinac. I was nervous about it, especially because we were traveling with a 1 year old. It was fantastic! We had a nice room with a king sized bed (and easily fit a portable crib) and a balcony. It was too cold to enjoy the balcony, but would have been fabulous in nicer weather. All staff that we encountered were very nice and helpful. The small breakfast was a nice touch, it consisted of muffins and homemade breads.

My only complaint was that our room was right next to the stairs and we could hear people going up and down them, but it wasn't a big deal. I would definitely stay here again! Very nice, clean, and priced well during the off season.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family