“Wonderful!!”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
South Lyon, Michigan
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

What a wonderful experience!
Our room was SO beautiful...we could have stayed in the hotel the whole time and been happy!
The beautiful way it was decorated...it was like a dream.
Everyone at the Hotel was so kind, and the breakfast in the circular room overlooking quaint Main Street, was so fabulous! Thank you for making this trip even better than one could imagine!
Karen G
^..^

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed at the Iroquois many times and it has always been a pleasure. We have stayed there with children, teenagers, grandparents and friends. The rooms are beautiful and the staff is attentive and friendly. And, don't miss lunch and/or dinner on the patio or in the Carriage House!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We splurged the Cottage Suite for our honeymoon. Our suite had great character, was beautifully decorated and had great views. Unlike most hotels where the rooms are generic and bland our suite looked like a room from a historic home. I especially loved the bathroom with the vintage tiles and roomy shower. The suite's living area/bedroom was also well designed with lovely architectural details and a small private walkout where we could view the lake. Whereas the cottage suite was pricier than the standard rooms at this hotel we would definitely consider staying again. We are even contemplating booking the same room for one of our future anniversaries we loved it so much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Sam B, Manager at Hotel Iroquois, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you were able to enjoy one of our suites for your honeymoon. The architecture of that room is a very unique use of space while preserving the historic features of the hotel exterior. The small picture window in the shower, that frames the fort, many guests enjoy as well as some of the other hidden architectural details of the suite.
Kalkaska, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and grandson were treated to a very charming stay at the Hotel Iroquois. The room was very comfortable and clean. We were able to get a roll away bed for our grandson which was a big help. We also were able to get help with room 104 which had a lot of noise due to washing machines. We were offered another room immediately. Our stay in room 108 was really pleasant.
The Iroquois makes a stay on the island very memorable.

Room Tip: Avoid room 104. It is above the washing machines that run till very late at night... Larger rooms...

Sam B, Manager at Hotel Iroquois, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review. Since your stay our facilities staff were able to rebalance some makeup air fans in the laundry room and remove the noise you experienced. While we are sorry for the disturbance we are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

After having stayed at several other hotels on the island, we have been coming back here for over 30 years. The rooms are charming, the is staff professional and friendly, the location is convenient and the restaurant is superb. The hotel is kept in pristine condition and is very comfortable. We love trying out the different rooms as no two are alike.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Sam B, Manager at Hotel Iroquois, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review and continued visits to the Hotel Iroquois. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and dining room and look forward to the next 16 years until you have been here 46 rooms and have had the chance to enjoy them all.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We made our second trip to Mackinac Island and had noticed this marvelous hotel on our last trip so that is where we stayed this time. It is very close to the town center and many restaurants. The hotel is very light and airy and the staff was most helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sam B, Manager at Hotel Iroquois, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for the nice review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We (my teenage son and I, the mom) just got back from a stay at the Iroquois, where I've stayed before. I was surprised by the mixed reviews posted here. I read quite a few and realized this hotel is something very specific. It is not a one-size-fits-all chain hotel (none of the Mackinac Island hotels are). The Iroquois is small, more of a boutique hotel. The building is over 100 years old (there are dated sepia photos on the walls). Yes, the floors creak a bit, and there is no elevator. If you want the view from a third floor room, you're going to be doing stairs a lot. And the room does get stuffy if you close all of the windows when you go out in the morning (I suggest leaving one of them cracked open a bit). However, this hotel is on the edge of town and thus avoids most of the street noise. Our room was close to the ferry and over the verandah. We had all of our windows open and could hear the quiet murmur of guests dining outdoors, which was fine. We also heard the first ferry in around 8 am (in June). That didn't matter to us. All of that was more than offset by the lovely linens, the blankets made in Germany (and always an extra blanket available), the lemon-scented bath products, the beautiful blue and white wallpaper, and the Kohl's luxury showerhead. Clearly, the bathroom wasn't 100 years old. There was also a large flatscreen tv, but we never used it. The wi-fi was free but a bit slow.
The service from the staff was phenomenal, and part of it I think was the ratio of staff to guests. Room service came within 15 minutes. Our laundry was returned to us in three hours. There was a turn-down service in the early evening every day. The only thing I could think to improve would be providing a bucket of ice in the rooms. It was probably available on request.
I especially liked that the public areas never seemed especially crowded. We could always get a seat in one of the sitting rooms, and there was also some verandah seating not in use by the restaurant. I think this hotel would appeal to guests who are willing to accept some minor inconveniences (i.e. no elevator) in exchange for a quieter, more elegant, turn-of-the-last century hotel. There are ground floor rooms too if you cannot do stairs, but then you miss the lake breeze and the stunning lake views.
I also loved the restaurant. Yes, it is expensive. However, I'd just had surgery and was on a limited diet, and they catered to my every whim. The chef's crabmeat tower appetizer was served separately at my request, crabmeat by itself and avacado, tomaotoes, sauce on another plate. I can only have softer vegetables? Mine were served softer. I can't have a rich dessert? I had a small plate of locally-grown strawberries. My son loved everything they served, and even helped finish my portions which were too much for me so soon after surgery. The food is expensive, but the experience was calming and soothing with impeccable service and I cannot complain about the value I received. Everything was homemade, even the fudge sauce on my son's sundae (and no corn syrup!)
I agree that the continental breakfast is not substantial, but it is a continental breakfast and it is served by the hotel and not the restaurant, so they are limited in what they can do. I need protein in the morning, so we walked down a couple blocks to a recommended breakfast place. I had poached eggs and my son had a growing-teenager full breakfast and we were both happy.
I would definitely stay here again and certainly will at some point. But due to the overall cost, it is a treat, one I would indulge in when I most need it.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room (second-cheapest room), specifically #321. Even though it was closer to the fer...
1 Thank Cathy D
Sam B, Manager at Hotel Iroquois, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review. Our staff always appreciates the feedback. We are glad you were able to enjoy the trip after your surgery and hope you are feeling great.