“Loved it!”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I had never stayed on the island but decided to splurge for the special occasion of our 10 year anniversary. While researching island accommodations I repeatedly found positive reviews for the Iroquois. Compared to other hotels on the island it's nightly rate was reasonable. We realized by going during the tourist season we would have to pay season rates. Which is another reason we chose the Iroquois. My husband and I were not willing to pay Grand Hotel prices for a weekend getaway.

Right away my husband and I were pleased with the cleanliness and appearance of the Iroquois. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very comfortable with a king size bed and good quality linens. Our bed was turned down and we were given clean plush bath towels. Our room came with a flat screen TV and DVD player. The hotel also has WiFi. It does not however have an elevator. The hotel is a historic building and as such has narrow halls and creaky wood floors. However I think it all adds to the charm.
The hotel is located right on the water and provides beautiful views of the lake and island. They serve a small continental breakfast off the patio in the morning.
I would definetly recommend the Hotel Iroquois for anyone looking for a Mackinac getaway.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank MonaQS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Guelph,On
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were met at the dock by the bellman who directed us to the hotel while he collected then delivered our bags to a beautiful second floor room. Decorated with floral wallpaper, shuttered curtains, beautiful linens, we were comfortable and totally impressed with the view of the Macinac Straits. Lovely light breakfast served in the sunroom. Great location, service, staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location is best on the island! My husband planned a trip to Mackinac Island for our 1st anniversary and we stayed here. The hotel is near the main street, but on the far end, so its peaceful and quiet with beautiful lake views. Our room was on the smaller side, but well appointed, clean, and great views! I love the colorfulness of the decor and all the rooms are different! Very classy.

The morning breakfast could have been done a bit better. It was muffins, breads, coffee and tea. Some sliced fresh fruit or more choices would have been nice

The restaurant was our favorite meal we had on the island. I would encourage anyone to stay here. Much better than the Grande at a better price and less snooty and better location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I were second floor with view of the straights of Mackinac. Loved the service. The overall small quite environment. The patio in the afternoon is great for drinks. .dinner was fabulous and fresh.

Room Tip: West side was beautiful
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teressa61
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

After touring around we had a relaxing lunch at the restaurant ..... The view was lovely , decor and food excellent !
I had a salad with shrimp .... Tasty and Light !
Would eat here again ,...
We also had the chance to see the rooms and they were charming with beautiful flower gardens surrounding the building and restaurant .

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Michelle P
Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I read some of the poor reviews - "Island smelled like horse poop", "Ferries coming and going", "Super expensive for what you get" - and laughed. Duh, no cars, only horses, of course it smells like horse poop. It's an island, people don't swim here, of course there are ferries coming and going. Expensive for what you get? Yes, but think about where you are. You are on a small island with limited real estate, unique features and amazing views. If this was "Small Town USA" you'd be paying small town USA rates.

We stayed in room 101. Fabulous. Smaller room, small balcony, view of the water, park and main street. Staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. Room was clean, in good repair and comfortable. Front area was clean, in good repair and well maintained (we saw staff constantly cleaning, taking care of stuff, etc.). Location is amazing. Restaurant was not the best I've ever been to, but I am a foodie in the food industry and have "dined" many times. The service was excellent, the food was very good, and the atmosphere was wonderful and appropriate.

Someone described the Iroquois as the closest thing to the Grand Hotel on the island. I agree.

If you are looking for a great, unique, northern island, get-away, look no further.

Room Tip: Room 101 - small balcony, cozy, wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jack G
Glenview
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Looks like a very big house. It is 3 floors fall and has very nice rooms. They give 1 key instead of cards like modern hotels. We asked for another key, but the limit is 1 per room. You can leave the key at the desk and tell them to give it to another member in your party. Overall, very nice

Stayed July 2014